We need more Mhoram!

Book 3 of the Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant

Moderators: dlbpharmd, High Lord Tolkien

Lord Zombiac
The Gap Into Spam

We need more Mhoram!

Post by Lord Zombiac »

You know I only liked the first two installments of "Star Wars," I didn't like "Return of the Jedi," because it turned the entire franchise into a cutesy little children's story.
But mainly, why I did not like any of the other movies is because I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Han Solo!
Now I will not say the same thing for TCTC. Mhoram is one of my favorite characters in all of heroic literature; but his absence does not diminish this series in any way!
I sorely miss Lord Mhoram, though. He and Foamfollower were the most pure hearted and heroic characters in the entire series. Both Mhoram and Foamfollower have a legacy that can be felt throughout the series, but in the Last Chronicles, Mhoram is notably gone.
I feel it would be kind of cheap to resurrect him somehow, or even to encounter him again through a caesure. But if Donaldson would somehow make him relevant to the story again... well that would be like getting to eat all the cake at the birthday party, and still share all the cake with everybody.
It is a lot to ask, but I hope to read more about him.
httpsss://www.barbarianclan.com
"everything that passes unattempted is impossible"-- Lord Mhoram, the Illearth War.
mcnpauls
Stonedownor

Post by mcnpauls »

My thoughts exactly - Mhoram is the land's greatest ever defender and wisest, yet most humane, leader. He is sorely missed in the Last Chronicles - Linden and Tc could do with his company and help.

Having said that, he is present at the conclave of the great dead that Covenant remembers in the last chapter of AATE, so perhaps that is opening the door for a bigger return when he is most needed.
ninjaboy
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by ninjaboy »

I have to say Mhoram was indeed a noble, heroic, humane Lord, and definitely on of the people most influential on Thomas Covenant.
And given the amount of times Covenant has mentioned him in the Last Chrons I believe he will appear again in Andelain..
But I'm not sure that's necessary, and I don't want the story to be too cliche either..
We will see what happens in time though..
Forgive my death.
It was my flesh that failed you, not my love.
TheSeventhWard
Servant of the Land

Post by TheSeventhWard »

Mhoram ftw!
Lord Mhoram
"Thomas Covenant, you are the savior of The Land."

Thomas Covenant
"Bite me."

~ Book-A-Minute SF/F
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

This was briefly discussed somewhere, at some time, and I don't recall what I thought then, so I might have changed my mind now...but

I don't want to see him, he is perfection as he is. If we DO see him, I want it only to be something like a ghostly "well done" as the dead go off to their well-deserved rest [even that I don't really want to see...way too cliche, unless it's done quite a bit differently than what I just said].
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
TheSeventhWard
Servant of the Land

Post by TheSeventhWard »

I agree, I don't want to see him either. To be honest, I didn't expect to see Covenant again after finishing WGW.

But a section devoted to the remembrance of him or some reminiscing about him would be welcome.
Lord Mhoram
"Thomas Covenant, you are the savior of The Land."

Thomas Covenant
"Bite me."

~ Book-A-Minute SF/F
Lord Zombiac
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Lord Zombiac »

I feel it would be kind of cheap to resurrect him somehow, or even to encounter him again through a caesure. But if Donaldson would somehow make him relevant to the story again... well that would be like getting to eat all the cake at the birthday party, and still share all the cake with everybody.
It is a lot to ask, but I hope to read more about him.
here's an idea
httpsss://www.barbarianclan.com
"everything that passes unattempted is impossible"-- Lord Mhoram, the Illearth War.
earthbrah
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by earthbrah »

I loved the moment in Andelain at the beginning of AATE when Linden was contemplating giving up her instruments of power. TC says something like she is the only one who can do this...Mhoram would approve.
"Verily, wisdom is like hunger. Perhaps it is a very fine thing--but who would willingly partake of it."
--Saltheart Foamfollower

"Latency--what is concealed--is the demonstrable presence of the future."
--Jean Gebser
SleeplessOne
<i>Haruchai</i>

We need more Mhoram!

Post by SleeplessOne »

well, he did make the briefest of flashback appearances in AATE, which was great ..

Return to “Against All Things Ending”