Meat, bread and cheese

Book 3 of the Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant

Moderators: dlbpharmd, High Lord Tolkien

lborl
Servant of the Land

Meat, bread and cheese

Post by lborl »

While struggling through the repetitive extraneous passages of meat, bread and cheese eating in AATE it suddenly struck me: apart from Ranyhyn and non-magical horses (and the imaginary insects that accompany She Who Must Not Be Named), have any animals ever been mentioned in the Land at all? I can't recall even a description of birdsong, and certainly not any cows. So what's this meat: Waynhim? Jheherrin cheese?

Also, where does the bread come from? I don't remember any mills or farmers in any of the Chronicles; everyone is Stonedowners or Ramen or Woodhelvnin. I've a vague memory that maybe out the back of Revelstone there's some kind of agrarian pasture to see them through a siege, but I'm not even sure about that.

Anyone?
High Lord Tolkien
Excommunicated Member of THOOLAH

Post by High Lord Tolkien »

You're thinking too much.
It's just one of those things that doesn't have to be mentioned like toilet paper and bathrooms and the like.
Where do clothes come from if they don't have sheep or leather for that matter?
https://thoolah.blogspot.com/

[Defeated by a gizmo from Batman's utility belt]
Joker: I swear by all that's funny never to be taken in by that unconstitutional device again!

Image Image Image Image
Cambo
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cambo »

Also remember the rhysh zoo in TWL and that Covenant evidently recognised many of the animals in there as belonging to the Land.
^"Amusing, worth talking to, completely insane...pick your favourite." - Avatar

https://variousglimpses.wordpress.com
TheFallen
Master of Innominate Surquedry

Post by TheFallen »

Maybe it's all dead Quellvisk meat? Perhaps the Elohim with mighty theurgy ensorcelled all the Quellvisks into neatly packaged and perma-preserved Quellvisk jerky and distributed this around the Land, while leaving their bones neatly piled up for later discovery. And maybe the cheese is exclusively made from milk from the Demimages of Vidik Amar?

Well, at least it'd give a reason for bothering to name the now deboned Quellvisk as a distinct species and those pesky Demimages as a separate race...
Newsflash: the word "irony" doesn't mean "a bit like iron" :roll:

Shockingly, some people have claimed that I'm egocentric... but hey, enough about them

"If you strike me down, I shall become far stronger than you can possibly imagine."

Post by lborl »

Cambo wrote:Also remember the rhysh zoo in TWL and that Covenant evidently recognised many of the animals in there as belonging to the Land.
Actually I didn't remember that at all: it's something like fifteen years since I read the first and second Chronicles. I looked it up on here and I dimly recall it now. Still, it seems strange that Covenant and Linden wouldn't notice and look at things like birds and squirrels and deer while they're on their holidays. I suppose there *are* kresh and griffins though.
High Lord Tolkien wrote:You're thinking too much.
That was sort of my complaint about it. I was so disengaged with this recurring rest and recrimination sequence that I started to look for holes in the fabric. Hopefully there'll be a lot less of this kind of thing in TLD now that
Spoiler
Jeremiah's cogent and able to make gates
TheFallen wrote:Maybe it's all dead Quellvisk meat? ... it'd give a reason for bothering to name the now deboned Quellvisk as a distinct species
I notice in the index that Quellvisks are "now thought extinct" which seems pretty much a giveaway we're going to see some live ones. I expect (and this is all speculation of course)
Spoiler
Jeremiah and Covenant and possibly Linden will combine powers to build some prehistoric portal through which Quellvisks can come through to, I don't know, scare off the Worm by roaring at it or something.
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Re: Meat, bread and cheese

Post by Zarathustra »

lborl wrote:I can't recall even a description of birdsong, and certainly not any cows. So what's this meat: Waynhim?
It's the missing meat in Taco Bell's "taco meat filling," being translated out of our world into the Land. The barrier between the worlds is obviously starting show some serious "seepage." Those "deeper plans" which which Foul hasn't revealed yet? Franchises in the Land. Make a run for the border between the worlds! 8)
Joe Biden … putting the Dem in dementia since (at least) 2020.
High Lord Tolkien
Excommunicated Member of THOOLAH

Post by High Lord Tolkien »

Zarathustra wrote:
lborl wrote:I can't recall even a description of birdsong, and certainly not any cows. So what's this meat: Waynhim?
It's the missing meat in Taco Bell's "taco meat filling," being translated out of our world into the Land. The barrier between the worlds is obviously starting show some serious "seepage." Those "deeper plans" which which Foul hasn't revealed yet? Franchises in the Land. Make a run for the border between the worlds! 8)
That was beautiful. :lol:
https://thoolah.blogspot.com/

[Defeated by a gizmo from Batman's utility belt]
Joker: I swear by all that's funny never to be taken in by that unconstitutional device again!

Image Image Image Image
drew
The Gap Into Spam

Post by drew »

Very early on in LFB, Triock's occupation as a cattle-herd is mentioned.

Also, the giants worked on their own farms, remember in TIW they put their tools away, while awaiting their murder from Kinslaughterer.
I thought you were a ripe grape
a cabernet sauvignon
a bottle in the cellar
the kind you keep for a really long time
ninjaboy
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by ninjaboy »

It never really bothered me.. With so much going on in the Land, I don't have a problem with not getting the details of where all the food comes from..
But some points - in the 1st Chrons, I believe Triock was a cattle-herder as a youth.. Or someone was.. Then the 2nd Chrons came along and the Sunbane had made it impossible for much farming, and very hard to keep animals alive.. 3rd Chrons.. Well we spent a night in Mithil Stonedown, then most of our travel since then has been magical, save for the Ranhyn ride from revelstone to Salva Gildenbourne.
And IIRC most of the bread / cheese / meat is suppled by the Ardent - who knows what food resouurces the Insequent have?
Forgive my death.
It was my flesh that failed you, not my love.
ike5
Servant of the Land

Post by ike5 »

I could find more references if I felt like it.

LFB:

Chapter Five:

'As she and Covenant started down toward the Stonedown, Lena said, "Five times a hundred people of the South Plains live here-rhadhamaerl, Shepherds, Cattleherds, Farmers, and those who Craft.'

TIW:

Chapter Five:

'COVENANT turned back to the southward view from Revelstone. He had many things to think about, and no easy way to grasp them. But already his senses seemed to be swinging into consonance with the Land. He could smell the crops in the fields east of him...'

Chapter Eight:

'The seats were starting to fill when Bannor and Covenant arrived. People from all the occupations of the Keep, including farmers...'

Chapter Fifteen:

'Revelwood was a thriving city, amply supplied by the fertile lowlands of Trothgard; and the Loresraat was busier now than at any other time in its history. The Lorewardens and apprentices of the Sword and Staff did all the work of the city-all the cooking, farming, herding, cleaning...'
ninjaboy
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by ninjaboy »

Do you reckon Skurj meat would be any good? After it cools down, of course...
Forgive my death.
It was my flesh that failed you, not my love.
thewormoftheworld'send
The Gap Into Spam

Post by thewormoftheworld'send »

drew wrote:Very early on in LFB, Triock's occupation as a cattle-herd is mentioned.

Also, the giants worked on their own farms, remember in TIW they put their tools away, while awaiting their murder from Kinslaughterer.
This is like the question of why so few Stonedowns and Woodhelven are mentioned in the Chrons, after all, the Clave requires a lot of blood. They are there, they just aren't mentioned.
Tales of a Warrior-Prophet has gone Live on Amazon KDP Vella! I'm very excited to offer the first three chapters for free. Please comment, review and rate, and of course Follow to receive more episodes. Two hundred free tokens may be available for purchases. https://www.amazon.com/kindle-vella/episode/B09YQQYMKH

Read my Whachichun Tatanka (White Buffalo) Blog: https://www.blogger.com/blog/posts/8175040473578337186
FB: https://www.facebook.com/WhiteBuffalo.W ... unTatanka/
Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/white_buffalo
finn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by finn »

Zarathustra wrote:
:biggrin: Priceless!
"Winston, if you were my husband I'd give you poison" ................ "Madam, if you were my wife I would drink it!"

"Terrorism is war by the poor, and war is terrorism by the rich"

"A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well."

"The opposite of pro-life isn't pro-death. Y'know?"

"What if the Hokey Cokey really is what its all about?"
Lord Zombiac
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Lord Zombiac »

They ate Kresh at one point in the first chrons.
Birdsong is referenced frequently in every description of Andelain.
httpsss://www.barbarianclan.com
"everything that passes unattempted is impossible"-- Lord Mhoram, the Illearth War.
SleeplessOne
<i>Haruchai</i>

Meat, bread and cheese

Post by SleeplessOne »

in LFB, 'the Celebration of Spring' - the Unfettered who intervenes and makes possible Atiaran and TC's escape from the ur-viles brings with him a whole posse of kamikaze-animals;
rabbits, badgers, weasels, moles, foxes, a few dogs.
in TIW, 'Runnik's Tale' - Hyrim, Shetra and the Bloodguard encounter all manner of wildlife in the Sarangrave.
Birds and monkeys gibbered at them; small, furry animals that yipped like hyenas broke out of the grass in front of them and scurried away; and when the jungle gave way of either side for dark, rancid pools or sluggish streams, waterfowl with iridescent plumage clattered fearfully into the air.
thewormoftheworld'send
The Gap Into Spam

Post by thewormoftheworld'send »

SleeplessOne wrote:in LFB, 'the Celebration of Spring' - the Unfettered who intervenes and makes possible Atiaran and TC's escape from the ur-viles brings with him a whole posse of kamikaze-animals;
rabbits, badgers, weasels, moles, foxes, a few dogs.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcxKIJTb3Hg
Tales of a Warrior-Prophet has gone Live on Amazon KDP Vella! I'm very excited to offer the first three chapters for free. Please comment, review and rate, and of course Follow to receive more episodes. Two hundred free tokens may be available for purchases. https://www.amazon.com/kindle-vella/episode/B09YQQYMKH

Read my Whachichun Tatanka (White Buffalo) Blog: https://www.blogger.com/blog/posts/8175040473578337186
FB: https://www.facebook.com/WhiteBuffalo.W ... unTatanka/
Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/white_buffalo
Lord Zombiac
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Lord Zombiac »

the holy hand grenade!
httpsss://www.barbarianclan.com
"everything that passes unattempted is impossible"-- Lord Mhoram, the Illearth War.
SleeplessOne
<i>Haruchai</i>

Meat, bread and cheese

Post by SleeplessOne »

you tit ! I soiled my armour I was so scared !
lborl
Servant of the Land

Post by lborl »

Okay; thanks. I was hoping I was wrong on the larger scale; glad I asked it here and not in the GI.

Now to rejoice and feast upon the lambs, and sloths, and carp, and orangutans and breakfast cereals and fruit bats.
Cambo
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cambo »

Skip a bit, Brother Maynard.
^"Amusing, worth talking to, completely insane...pick your favourite." - Avatar

https://variousglimpses.wordpress.com

Return to “Against All Things Ending”