Parting Company anomalies..

Book 3 of the Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant

Moderators: dlbpharmd, High Lord Tolkien

ninjaboy
<i>Haruchai</i>

Parting Company anomalies..

Post by ninjaboy »

I was reading this chapter earlier today, and there seemed to be a couple of things that jumped out at me this time that didn't 'fit' with previous events..

Firstly - when TC announced he was leaving the company to find Joan, I found it odd that there was no discussion with the Masters. I'm surprised that they had no objection to leaving Linden.. They don't trust her, they expect that she may perform another act of desecration, and know that she has both Staff of law and White Gold, and also know that no-one else in the party would try and stop her..
Part of their mission is to prevent any dangerous misuse of earthpower, isn't it? How can they do that when they've both gone with TC and they know that Stave will support any decision she makes?
It would have made more sense if one stayed with Linden and one went with TC.

Also - after Jeremiah was freed from the Croyel it becomes evident that no-one's bathed him or cleaned his fouled pyjamas.. Does that seem weird to you? Weirder even that Galt continually holding the krill of Loric at the Croyel's neck for over a day (or however long it was) without any food or rest?
Forgive my death.
It was my flesh that failed you, not my love.
earthbrah
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by earthbrah »

I think the Humbled's loyalty to TC outweigh their need to prevent Linden from doing something else desecration-like. I mean, they are maimed to look like him...
"Verily, wisdom is like hunger. Perhaps it is a very fine thing--but who would willingly partake of it."
--Saltheart Foamfollower

"Latency--what is concealed--is the demonstrable presence of the future."
--Jean Gebser
Barnetto
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Barnetto »

earthbrah wrote:I think the Humbled's loyalty to TC outweigh their need to prevent Linden from doing something else desecration-like. I mean, they are maimed to look like him...
Actually, it's a minor point, but one that kept annoying me slightly, but I thought that when the Humbled were first introduced it was made clear that they were maimed to to look like and remind them of the Bloodguard (Korik etc) who failed when they took a portion of the Illearth Stone and went to confront Lord Foul?

Now it's then true, I think, that Lord Foul maimed them to resemble TC, so indirectly the statement that they've been maimed to look like TC is true, but only indirectly. But in AATE (and in FR I think), SRD constantly uses the maiming to look like TC as his reference point.

And yet, isn't the difference quite important? In being maimed to look like Korik etc it is about them being reminded of their limitations and failures? Being maimed to look like TC might be more about homage to the one who gave them their current role in the Land (or so they believe)?
earthbrah
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by earthbrah »

Well said, Barnetto. It's a small point, but a potentially significant one. Whom they are maimed to resemble makes a huge difference as to what the significance of the maiming is. Personally, I can't recall what the original purpose of the maiming was, or who did it. But it makes most sense to me that the Masters have continued this tradition(?) as a reminder of their limitations, and the folly of attempting to use tools of power.

Beware the halfhand. :?
"Verily, wisdom is like hunger. Perhaps it is a very fine thing--but who would willingly partake of it."
--Saltheart Foamfollower

"Latency--what is concealed--is the demonstrable presence of the future."
--Jean Gebser
wayfriend

Re: Parting Company anomalies..

Post by wayfriend »

ninjaboy wrote:Firstly - when TC announced he was leaving the company to find Joan, I found it odd that there was no discussion with the Masters. I'm surprised that they had no objection to leaving Linden..
During an earlier chapter, Galt tried to slay Linden, and failed. Knowing what we know about how the Haruchai settle disputes, I believe that from this point on they had to concede their position on Linden to Stave, or at least cease to act on it. Until they "test" the matter again.

Also, more simply, they were down to two at this point. Possibly dividing responsibilities wasn't an option at this point.
Barnetto wrote:And yet, isn't the difference quite important? In being maimed to look like Korik etc it is about them being reminded of their limitations and failures? Being maimed to look like TC might be more about homage to the one who gave them their current role in the Land (or so they believe)?
I think it's even worse than that. Foul maimed the Bloodguard to mock Covenant. So the Humbled, by intentionally resembling those Bloodguard, are in essence mimicking the mockery.

I don't think that they get it. And I think that this is a way that Donaldson shows us that they don't get a lot of things.

Return to “Against All Things Ending”