Pirates! Arrrr!

Zap! Woo hoo! High score! Computers, Consoles, and everything electronic.

Moderators: Cagliostro, lucimay, Creator, Sorus

CovenantJr
Lord

Pirates! Arrrr!

Post by CovenantJr »

Since Hierachy hasn't done it yet, I'll take the lead. Pirates is still one of the best games I've ever played. There's nothing quite like roaming around the Caribbean, sacking cities. Such a feeling of freedom..."hmm, I fancy having another ship - I'll just take one, mwahaha!" :lol: And you could, if you really wanted to make it hard on yourself, try and make your fortune as an honest trader. But where's the fun in that? :D Hmm, I want to play it now... *wishes Pirates was here*
The Leper Fairy
The Gap Into Spam

Post by The Leper Fairy »

Arghhh!

Pie and Cake
hierachy
Lord

Post by hierachy »

yes, sorry I didn't post this thread sooner but I was tired last night and busy today...

but yes,pirates truely is a great game, but those dam pirate hunters are too difficult sometimes...
CovenantJr
Lord

Post by CovenantJr »

I always find it amusing to try and find the least hideous daughter of a govenor to marry. Not easy, they're all pretty rough :lol:
hierachy
Lord

Post by hierachy »

LOL, yep, they are indeed
Revan
Drool Rockworm's Servant

Post by Revan »

I've never played it, what is it?
CovenantJr
Lord

Post by CovenantJr »

It's an old game (I have it on NES, Hierachy tells me he had it on Amiga) where you are a pirate. You're given one boat (though you have to fence to win it) a bit of cash and minimal crew, and turned loose in the Caribbean of the 1600s. You sail, attack ships, fight other pirates/pirate hunters, plunder cities, seduce people's daughters, get marooned... It's amazing, I just love it. And all in 1988ish pixel-o-vision too 8)
Nav
Lord

Post by Nav »

*BUMP*

Turns out Firaxis are in the process of remaking Pirates, and Sid Meier is on board. It looks really good (although the inhabitants will be speaking 'Simlish'), and a preview can be found here:
www.ugo.com/channels/games/features/sid ... review.asp
Q. Why do Communists drink herbal tea?
A. Because proper tea is theft.
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

My brother gave me a pirates game where you stand on your ship and the whole ship is in 3d as well as the crew. The ocean has swells and waves. All very nice. Shame there is no game where you play a captain of a British Naval ship. Pirates are a bit pants, really.
Waddley wrote:your Highness Sir Dr. Loredoctor, PhD, Esq, the Magnificent, First of his name, Second Cousin of Dragons, White-Gold-Plate Wielder!
CovenantJr
Lord

Post by CovenantJr »

Die, scurvy Ur-Vile! :x
Nav wrote:*BUMP*

Turns out Firaxis are in the process of remaking Pirates, and Sid Meier is on board. It looks really good (although the inhabitants will be speaking 'Simlish'), and a preview can be found here:
www.ugo.com/channels/games/features/sid ... review.asp
Sounds like it's exactly the same, with better graphics. I'll probably just stick to my original Pirates 8)
Nathan
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Nathan »

I love Sid Meier games, the whole civilisation series has been unfailingly brilliant, and with Civ4 in the works I have hopefully a long list of civ games to look forward to.
Myste
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Myste »

I love this game! I had it for the Commodore 64, and then an early PC version which I played on a souped-up 286. The graphics were infinitely better on the Commodore, and I have often regretted its loss. Very exciting to hear about the new one!
Halfway down the stairs Is the stair where I sit. There isn't any other stair quite like it. I'm not at the bottom, I'm not at the top; So this is the stair where I always stop.
Nav
Lord

Post by Nav »

Got the new Pirates! on friday and promptly lost the entire weekend to it. Awesome game, and has the same addictiveness factor as Civ: "I'll just sack this colony, steal that pirate's gold and rescue my sister then I'll stop playing."

I never played the original, but I'd recommend this new one to anybody. I find the dancing mini-game really hard though, I'm not sure how I ended up marrying the foxiest governer's daughter after I showed her up at the grand ball so many times.
CovenantJr
Lord

Post by CovenantJr »

Haha, back in the day all you had to do to win over a govenor's daughter was chat relentlessly, then propose :lol:

Do they still spy for you if you really impress them?
Nathan
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Nathan »

I got Pirates! the other day and it's brilliant!

Yes, the governors' daughters give you information if you impress them at dancing.

I find myself able to thrash (most of the time) pretty much anyone at fencing, but when it comes to dancing I'm a bit crap. I've only managed to not be walked out on once, and that was luck.

On the bright side I'm the most notorious pirate in the carribean, I've rescued my long lost sister, become a Duke of England and found 2 sets of buried pirate treasure. Such fun :)
[spoiler]If you change the font to white within spoiler tags does it break them?[/spoiler]
kevinswatch
"High" Lord
Location: In the dark, lonely cave that dwells within my eternal soul of despair. It's next to a Pizza Hut.

Post by kevinswatch »

Dude, the original Pirates! was great. I need to find my old copy. I don't think the new version will run on my computer though, which is now five years old...heh. Probably not enough memory.-jay
seven reds, seven blacks
Servant of the Land

Post by seven reds, seven blacks »

i remember the original Pirates! , which i played on Amiga. those where the times! one of the absolute classics. Pirates! gold was good as well, but not the original. i don´t have the new game, because the requirements are too high for my comp...[/i]
Nav
Lord

Post by Nav »

Nathan wrote:I got Pirates! the other day and it's brilliant!

Yes, the governors' daughters give you information if you impress them at dancing.

I find myself able to thrash (most of the time) pretty much anyone at fencing, but when it comes to dancing I'm a bit crap. I've only managed to not be walked out on once, and that was luck.

On the bright side I'm the most notorious pirate in the carribean, I've rescued my long lost sister, become a Duke of England and found 2 sets of buried pirate treasure. Such fun :)
The fencing game gets a lot harder on the Rogue and Swashbuckler levels, and I think it gets more difficult as you age as well. The calfskin boots and dancing slippers make dancing much a bit easier, so it's usually worth paying the extortionate price.

In my first game I retired to become a surgeon in Curacao with my rather foxy wife, never found my long-lost (and extremely long-lived, it seems) grandfather though.
Nathan
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Nathan »

I still find the fencing a hell of a lot easier than the dancing even on swashbuckler level. The special shoes made me able to get through a dance without completely humiliating myself though.
[spoiler]If you change the font to white within spoiler tags does it break them?[/spoiler]
Nav
Lord

Post by Nav »

I'm thinking about aligning with the Spaniards in my next game, as I reckon it'll make finding family members/raymondo/montalban etc much easier, what with them all hanging out in Spanish ports and all.

I've decided that my favourite ship is the frigate, as it's a great balance of speed, agility and firepower. The war galleons have an awesome amount of guns, but tend to take a lot of damage as it's really hard to dodge incoming fire. I've yet to see the bigger English ships though; the ship of the line and man o'war.

Return to “PC & Console Games”