To Live is to Die - Metallica quote SRD

A place to discuss the books in the FC and SC. *Please Note* No LC spoilers allowed in this forum. Do so in the forum below.

Moderators: kevinswatch, Orlion

jehannum_2000
Stonedownor

To Live is to Die - Metallica quote SRD

Post by jehannum_2000 »

Anyone noticed the quote from TCs in Cliff Burton's lyric for the above song?

These are the pale deaths that men miscall their lives.

It made me physically jump (and that's the best way to jump) when I first heard this in '88.
:S
Pete.
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

Yes-and I even suggested Sad but True b included in the TCTC soundtrack-which had good response but not totally overwhelming support! :D ("might as well jump..." :S )
fall far and well Pilots!
dlbpharmd
Lord

Re: To Live is to Die - Metallica quote SRD

Post by dlbpharmd »

jehannum_2000 wrote:Anyone noticed the quote from TCs in Cliff Burton's lyric for the above song?

These are the pale deaths that men miscall their lives.

It made me physically jump (and that's the best way to jump) when I first heard this in '88.
:S
Pete.
where is that quote from? I can't recall it.
birdandbear
The Gap Into Spam

Post by birdandbear »

Covenant's poem that he makes up while walking to the phone company.

These are the pale deaths which men miscall their lives:
for all the scents of green things growing,
each breath is but an exhalation of the grave.
Bodies jerk like puppet corpses, and hell walks laughing --

Cool!! I've never heard that! 8)
"If nothing we do matters, then all that matters is what we do."
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

Yeah, I've mentioned it somewhere as well.
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

WOW. That's great! I'm gonna have to check this song out!
theDespiser
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by theDespiser »

its from To Live is to Die, on And Just for All...midway through..its an instrumental, and thats theonly spoken part..a tribute to Cliff, since he died in 86...

thats the only part of the song from Lord Fouls Bane...

When a man lies he murders
Some part of the world
These are the pale deaths which
Men miscall their lives
All this I cannot bear
To witness any longer
Cannot the kingdom of salvation
Take me home

ive always wondered if Burton was a fan of the series or what, or if its just a colossal coincidence...but ive never read anywhere of anybody asking the band about it...
Think on that, and be dismayed

What do you do to a man who has lost everything?

Give him back something broken
Romeo
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Romeo »

Oh.
My.
God.

The first question that comes to mind is, "are they allowed to do that?" Don't copyright laws prohibit them from taking even a single line word-for-word from a book like that?

But then I looked around the web and read further, and was further disturbed. Metallica seems to be a bit more into TCTC than just that one line. Reat the lyrics of the songs on this page:

www.sodabob.com/Metallica/AndJusticeForAll.asp

Now, raise your hand if you think...

... "Blackened" is about the sunbane and the last day of Andelain

... "... And Justice for All" reminds you of the Illearth Stone. Foul's Creche, when TC was battling Foul? (that's a bit weak, but definately keeping with the TCTC theme)

... "Eye of the Beholder" sounds like Covenent's thoughts after he first arrives in the Land?

... "One" is about Hile Troy (returning to the real world after the "Krill incident')

... "The Shortest Straw" is actually the "final straw" that pushed Covenant into walking those two miles into town to pay his phone bill in person.

... "Harvester of Sorrow" could be about Ravers? Perhaps what Triock was thinking as he struggled back for control of himself at the Colossus?

... "The Frayed Ends of Sanity" might also be about being Raver possessed?

... "To Live is to Die". No brainer here. Four lines total, one of them lifted word for word out of LFB.

... "Dyers Eve" sounds like it might be about Linden.

Now, all this might be a bit of a stretch. Making connections that aren't there because of my own biased point of view. But if I read these lyrics without knowing TCTC, I'd think that the person was on some serious drugs and just randomly babbling. Not making any sense at all.

Maybe **I** am the one on drugs. Or maybe I should be. Where's my coffee? I can't think straight in the morning without my coffee! (it's 6am at the moment) I'll probably re-read this after having my two cups of morning wakeup and want to delete it all. :-)
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

I know that Metallica are into H.P.Lovecraft, but then again, what metal band isn't.
Waddley wrote:your Highness Sir Dr. Loredoctor, PhD, Esq, the Magnificent, First of his name, Second Cousin of Dragons, White-Gold-Plate Wielder!
theDespiser
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by theDespiser »

sorry Romeo, but you're WAAAAY off base with your post...yeah, one line in to live is to die, the topic of this thread, was in LFB..

And Just for All is about the hypocrisy of the Justice System and how it is decaying...

One is known by just about anybody who has ever heard of the band to be about a soldier in a war who has lost his limbs, hearing, site, and everything else...much like the video that went with it, containing scenes from Johnny got his gun, by Dalton Trumbo(good book)

Frayed Ends of Sanity is just about going insane

Dyers Eve is about James Hetfields(vocalist) parents, who were extremely religious and tried to force their beliefs and values on him and were as any typical strict religious family...

To Live is to Die, as i said, was a tribute to Cliff Burton, who died in 86, and the vocal part was a poem he wrote...that ONE LINE from LFB was in it, yeah, but none of the other stuff was...as i said, im not sure if he was a fan of SRD or not...i wouldnt be surprised though...\

Blackened looks more likea song about how humanity is pretty much raping the earth

i had a breakdown of every song up to the black album, but i dont have it here at the moment...

conclusion: yes, you are indeed on some potent drugs...

Romeo
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Romeo »

:-)

Well, I did hear the band's name, but I can't say that I know much more than that about them. Guess I was reading too much into it.
hierachy
Lord

Post by hierachy »

Metalica huh? Well, Darth hasn't done the topic yet so I guess I'll come out with it. You want something that sounds like TC, two words, Linkin Park
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

*cough, sputter, gag* What?!
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
hierachy
Lord

Post by hierachy »

You may not like the music, but listen to the lyrics and you will see what I mean...
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

The music's fine. Completely prefabricated, but fine. The lyrics... Don't get me wrong, I like Angry Young Man music, but there's a lot more to The Chronicles than that. The thing is, every fan, from Madonna to Garth Brooks to ZZ Top will tell you that the best thing to go with A is B. All a matter of perspective, I guess.
-George Steiner
hierachy
Lord

Post by hierachy »

I think there's more to it than that.
theDespiser
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by theDespiser »

Linkin Park are even further away from TCTC than Metallica

hierachy
Lord

Post by hierachy »

The general sound, yes. But what they say, no.
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

Surely you're not talking about that 'Numb' song?
Waddley wrote:your Highness Sir Dr. Loredoctor, PhD, Esq, the Magnificent, First of his name, Second Cousin of Dragons, White-Gold-Plate Wielder!
theDespiser
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by theDespiser »

dude, any song can be likened to ANYthing...just because Linkin Pork like to whine and cry a lot doesnt mean they have any significant relevence to The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant...

if it makes you think of it, great, but they sure as hell didnt have these books in mind when they wrote the songs

Return to “The First and Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant”