Seafood Chowder

Learn how to make Spring Wine and aliantha cookies.

Moderator: Menolly

Sparkish One
Servant of the Land

Seafood Chowder

Post by Sparkish One »

Here's a Seafood Chowder recipe I came across that's truly delicious!

Ingredients;

3 tablespoons olive oil
1 cup diced yellow onion
2 (10 ounce) cans Progresso(R) white clam sauce
3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon dried basil
1/2 cup chopped green onion
1 cup diced green bell pepper
1/3 cup diced fresh celery
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 (2 pound) cans peeled and chopped tomatoes
1 cup dry red wine, like Chianti
1 (2 pound) can tomato puree
3 cups water
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 to 2 teaspoons crushed red pepper
2 bay leaf
4 to 6 medium potatoes, cubed
2 zucchini, cubed
2 pounds fish filets, cut into 2 to 3-inch strips

Preparation method
Prep: 10 mins | Cook: 2 hours 30 mins
In a 6 quart stockpot or heavy saucepan over medium heat, cook onions in olive oil until translucent.
Add the clam sauce and bring to a simmer. Add the parsley, oregano, basil, green onions, bell pepper, celery, salt, pepper, and garlic. Continue to simmer low for about 3 minutes.
Add the chopped tomatoes, cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Uncover and add the wine; simmer for 5 minutes.
Add the tomato puree, water, cayenne pepper, crushed red pepper and bay leaf. Stir and return to low simmer for 1 1/2 hours, stirring every 15 minutes.
Add the potatoes and zucchini, stir, cover the pot and continue to simmer for 25 minutes.
Add the fish filets and simmer for 10 minutes.

Serves 16
Illuminating The Darkness
High Lord Tolkien
Excommunicated Member of THOOLAH

Post by High Lord Tolkien »

That's called "Fish Chowder" in New England.

"Seafood Chowder" usually has a little bit of everything clams, lobsters, fish....
https://thoolah.blogspot.com/

[Defeated by a gizmo from Batman's utility belt]
Joker: I swear by all that's funny never to be taken in by that unconstitutional device again!

Image Image Image Image
Sparkish One
Servant of the Land

Post by Sparkish One »

You can make it with a variety of seafood....fish, shrimp, clams, whatever...I just call it 'seafood chowder' to simplify. I mean, being a Gourmet Chef, keeping things simple helps out a lot!
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

Welcome to The Galley, Sparky.
sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Post by sgt.null »

i love chowder. thanks Sparkish One.

and for everyones amusement - most of the following people mispronouncing the word chowder.

www.forvo.com/word/chowder/
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
Sparkish One
Servant of the Land

Post by Sparkish One »

I hope everyone likes it!

Thanks, Menolly! (which reminds me...I'm reading "The Skies of Pern" at the moment...

And you're very welcome, Sgt. Null! Thanks for the amusing link!!
Shaun das Schaf
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Shaun das Schaf »

Thanks Sparky, can't wait to try it!
Don't know if my dining table will fit 15 other people though ;)

Edited to add: I've got oregano and basil in my courtyard, but no dried versions of each. Does it matter if I use fresh? And am I correct in assuming green onions means spring onions/shallots?
Now to convert the measurements...
(Wish you yanks would speak English :lol:)
Vader
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vader »

If you use fresh herbs (what I would always recommand) add them shortly before the end of the cooking process. More than 20 minutes of heat will destroy the essential oils in the herbs and you will lose most of the flavor. "Woody" stuff like rosemary twigs or bay leaves can take more heat, of course.

Apart from making dry rubs I never use dried herbs (oregano being the only exception, since this herb gets more intense when dried).

To me especially dried basil doesn't taste anything like basil at all, but more like running your tongue over the edge of an old book that hasn't been touched on the shelf in years.

Can anyone tell an ignorant European what "Progresso(R) white clam sauce" is and why I would want to use a convinience product in my kitchen? Can it be replaced by something I can prepare myself?
Functionless art is vandalism. I am the vandal.
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

sgt.null wrote:and for everyones amusement - most of the following people mispronouncing the word chowder.
It is, of course, prounounced showdair. :)
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

Vader wrote:Can anyone tell an ignorant European what "Progresso(R) white clam sauce" is and why I would want to use a convinience product in my kitchen? Can it be replaced by something I can prepare myself?
Yes, you can make white clam sauce yourself. Progresso isn't bad for a canned product though.

I'm pretty sure any recipe for linguini with white clam sauce should produce an equivalent you can use.
Sparkish One
Servant of the Land

Post by Sparkish One »

Homemade Clam Sauce

Ingredients:
- one tin of chopped or minced clams per serving (this recipe is geared towards two servings)
- a half pint of whipping cream for every two servings
- extra virgin olive oil
- several to a whole lot of cloves of fresh garlic - minced
- approx. 1 tsp. freshly ground pepper
- approx. 1 tsp. dried oregano
- approx. 1 tsp. dried basil
[increase pepper and herb amounts appropriately for more servings]

- freshly grated parmesan cheese (or not)
- angel hair or vermicelli pasta (fettuccine is an alternative)
- garlic bread (de rigueur)

Procedure: 1. Wipe off the tops of the clam tins and open them without taking the top all the way off. Press down on the lid and drain as much of the clam juice from the tin as possible into a separate container (DON'T throw the juice out - we're going to use it later!) Scrape out all the clam bits into a second bowl. Do this for each tin of clams.

2. Prepare a mixture of the pepper, oregano, and basil and set aside in a small bowl. I generally just pour what looks like a teaspoon of oregano into the palm of my hand and then use the heel of my other hand to sort of mortar and pestle the herb into a finer texture. I do the same with the basil. Makes your hands smell great, too!

3. Prepare the garlic by mincing several cloves (I tend to use big cloves and LOTS of them - possibly 3 to 4 tablespoons of minced garlic when all's said and done) and set aside in a small separate bowl.

4. Start heating your favorite saute pan on medium heat to the point where the heating surface of the pan will feel like it will burn your knuckles when you lightly tap them on the pan. At this point, add about 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil and swirl around, coating the pan surface. Alternate: use one tablespoon of butter and one tablespoon of olive oil - that's what I do. If you do use this method, add the butter first, as the pan is heating, then when it's all melted, add the olive oil and stir them well together. Making more than 2 servings? Add more butter/olive oil proportionally. Oh, and make sure your pan is large enough to hold all the clams and the juice and the cream - although you will be reducing the liquid as you go.

5. Add the pepper, oregano, basil mixture and stir until well mixed with the olive oil.

6. Add the well-drained clams, stirring well so clams and herb-pepper mixture and olive oil get all mixed together. After about a minute or so, add the garlic. (Note: I wait to add the garlic so it doesn't get too over cooked.) Keep stirring well and pay attention to what's happening, because soon, the little bits of clam will start to "pop" and jump around a bit. At this point, add the reserved clam juice and continue to stir occasionally letting the whole thing reduce by half or more.

7. Somehwere around here, you should probably start your water for the pasta - and don't forget to add about a teaspoon of salt just before boiling and stir it well so the salt doesn't pit the bottom of your pot. And perhaps make sure however you prepare your garlic bread, you've got that started, too. Oh, and WARM your plates and/or a pasta bowl!

8. When the mix of ingredients in your saute pan starts to look like it could run out of liquid if you let it go much longer, (we're trying to concentrate the flavor of the clams from the juice without totalling reducing the liquid away) add the cream a little at a time - say, maybe a third of it, and let that reduce. You might also want to watch your heat here, so the cream doesn't get too hot - it *is* a milk product and you don't want it to overheat, so turn down the fire a little. Then after another little while, add another third and let it reduce - stirring occasionally. Finally, add the last third and let it reduce until you like the looks of what you're cooking - it should look intensely creamy and a bit off-white. (Ok, so this is NOT a lo-cal recipe!)

9. Don't rush step 8. It takes a while and patience to properly reduce this.

10. Drain the pasta when it's cooked al dente and dribble butter or olive oil over it and stir around so the pasta gets fairly well coated (helps prevent sticking and adds extra flavor).

11. At this point, you've basically two options: put a serving of pasta on WARMED plates and then add a serving of the clam sauce -OR- put all the pasta in a WARMED bowl and pour the clam sauce over it, mixing it all up and then serving it on WARMED plates.

12. Serve with garlic bread and a dry white wine, like an excellent Pinot Grigio. Parmesan cheese on top is optional, but do try to use freshly grated Parmigiano Reggiano. A nice salad, like "Spring Mix" with an Italian dressing, store bought or homemade, will lend a nice taste, texture, and color contrast to even the whole thing out.
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

Oh yum, Sparky.

I've used pecorino romano along with clam juice and olive oil in my clam sauce, but never cream itself. Will have to give this a try once I am off this low-iodine eating plan and am allowed sea products again.

Do you ever add anchovy paste at some point? I've been considering trying that as well.
Vader
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vader »

While I'm not a fan of canned goods of any kind (excluding san marzano pelati) it's at least a good tip to wipe off the top of cans. If you've ever been to a who ... warehouse where they store lots of food you probably know why.
Functionless art is vandalism. I am the vandal.
Sparkish One
Servant of the Land

Post by Sparkish One »

Menolly wrote:Oh yum, Sparky.

I've used pecorino romano along with clam juice and olive oil in my clam sauce, but never cream itself. Will have to give this a try once I am off this low-iodine eating plan and am allowed sea products again.

Do you ever add anchovy paste at some point? I've been considering trying that as well.

Yes, you can use anchovy paste! It makes for an interesting twist on the flavor!

Oh, try this with freshwater fish and salt-free products! They work just as well....

Return to “The Galley”