Was the DeathStar the ultimate power in the universe or not?

Talk about both the movies and the books.

Moderator: aTOMiC

aTOMiC
Lord

Was the DeathStar the ultimate power in the universe or not?

Post by aTOMiC »

"The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant next to the power of the force."
We've heard that every time we've watched A New Hope. Its it true or not? It might be argued that it was Luke's ability with the force that enabled him to destory the Deathstar. It certainly looked that way. But what if there had been no fatal flaw in the design of the space station? How would the Force have been used to stop it? How much of the rebelion would have been wiped out on Yavin's moon and would they have stood a chance at all without Luke's timely proton torpedo shot?
"If you can't tell the difference, what difference does it make?"

"There is tic and toc in atomic" - Neil Peart
dANdeLION
Lord

Post by dANdeLION »

No fatal flaw? It is patently impossible to build a fictional weapon of mass destruction intended to be used by the bad guys without putting in the fatal flaw. If there was no fatal flaw, the weapon simply could not work. If the weapon does not work, there is no story. If there is no story, there is no gainful employment for anybody in the industry, whether good or bad. No work, no money. The fatal flaw is not only good story telling, it is crucial to the livelyhood of all storytellers everywhere. Stop trying to surpass Darth Revan on the "New Topic" list with this drivel.:screwy:
Dandelion don't tell no lies
Dandelion will make you wise
Tell me if she laughs or cries
Blow away dandelion

I'm afraid there's no denying
I'm just a dandelion
a fate I don't deserve.

High priest of THOOOTP

:hobbes: *

* This post carries Jay's seal of approval
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

And aside from the need to keep storytellers in business, there's no such thing as a flawless anything. Nobody's ever made, nor will ever make, such a thing.

But Anderson's Jedi Academy books had a nifty little ship that was better than the Death Star. Probably other SW books did too.

And yet the Force is still more powerful. Eventually, the Force, usually through the Jedi, will defeat any evil force.
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

Aw come on. But the Deathstar was so cool! Can't we make it totaly invincible. No flaws just planet splitting destruction! Wahoo! "Hello. Bomb?" "Let there be light."

Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

But could it take Warworld? hmmm
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Lord Mhoram
Lord

Post by Lord Mhoram »

The Death Star kicked ass. But, this is a good guy and bad guy movie. There has to be a flaw, like Megaton Dan said! It's so true. :D Still, the Force is truly an all-powerful...force that can't be defeated by the Dark Side.
hierachy
Lord

Post by hierachy »

But it can be used by the dark side...
hierachy
Lord

Post by hierachy »

Otherwise there would be no darkside, it would just be some pathetic evil guys that get killed straight away. I suppose that is the forces fatal flaw, it's accesability to the evil people.
Revan
Drool Rockworm's Servant

Post by Revan »

MEGATON dAN wrote:Stop trying to surpass Darth Revan on the "New Topic" list with this drivel.
A thing that will never happen...
matrixman
The Gap Into Spam

was the Death Star the ultimate power in the universe?

Post by matrixman »

Obviously the Death Star could not have been the "ultimate power" in the universe if it could be given fatal indigestion by two measly torpedoes. :D

I agree, though, that it made for an impressive planet killer. Sure, the Force may be powerful, but Vader was off his rocker to say that the ability to destroy a planet is "insignificant", even compared to said Force.

Did the Dark Lord ever blow up a planet all by himself? Did Vader ever simply use only the power of his mind to shatter a world? Never heard about it. The Force is fine and dandy, but it takes a big friggin' piece of technology like a Death Star with big friggin' lasers to wipe out big friggin' planets like Alderaan.

What irks me about Vader's--and everyone else's-- assertion about the Force is that at no point in any of the films do we ever see proof that the Force is, indeed, more powerful than "the ability to destroy a planet". What demonstrations of the power of the Force do we get in the movies?
Vader doing his choke thing. Luke levitating rocks (and R2). Luke levitating C-3PO. Ooohh, them planets aren't safe now! We progress to the more impressive spectacle of Yoda lifting Luke's X-Wing out of the Dagobah swamp, and finally to the scene of the Emperor frying Luke with his lightning show. Again, impressive in its way, but the ability to barbecue your fellow man is, dare I say it, insignificant compared to the power to destroy a planet.

If Yoda had moved the orbit of Dagobah, never mind Luke's ship, then I think we would be onto something here. If the Emperor had destroyed the entire Rebel fleet with his energy bolts, never mind just roasting Luke, then yeah, I'd be convinced of the Force's overwhelming power. Yet all the evidence in the films merely suggests a power that operates at a local, individual level, not a mass-scale, global level.

All I'm saying is that, as a Star Wars fan, I'd love to see for once on film an example of the Force used on a truly devastating, apocalyptic scale. :twisted:

But that might frighten the younger, tickle-me-Ewok segment of the Star Wars audience, and heaven forbid, Lucas wouldn't want that!
Revan
Drool Rockworm's Servant

Post by Revan »

I think the Deathstar sucked. How convenient that it had a pipe leading down to a place it could be destroyed.... A bit lame if you ask me...
aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

Matrixman, you are dead on!!! Bravo. Pie dude, what are you ingesting? :-)

Revan
Drool Rockworm's Servant

Post by Revan »

SHATTERSTAR wrote:Matrixman, you are dead on!!! Bravo. Pie dude, what are you ingesting? :-)
LOL, I was eaten, Therefore DR has returned...
aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

Darth Revan wrote:
SHATTERSTAR wrote:Matrixman, you are dead on!!! Bravo. Pie dude, what are you ingesting? :-)
LOL, I was eaten, Therefore DR has returned...
Welcome back Revan. A Pie was interesting though. :-)

Revan
Drool Rockworm's Servant

Post by Revan »

Heh, thanks. I am glad to be back. Now Bow before me!
aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

I bend knee for no man, beast or wraith. Now about the topic....

Revan
Drool Rockworm's Servant

Post by Revan »

Though it did suck. It was the ultimate power in the universe.
aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

Darth Revan wrote:Though it did suck. It was the ultimate power in the universe.
That statement could be considered an oxymoron.

dANdeLION
Lord

Post by dANdeLION »

SHATTERSTAR wrote:
Darth Revan wrote:Though it did suck. It was the ultimate power in the universe.
That statement could be considered an oxymoron.
The guy who made it could be considered a moron, as well.
Dandelion don't tell no lies
Dandelion will make you wise
Tell me if she laughs or cries
Blow away dandelion

I'm afraid there's no denying
I'm just a dandelion
a fate I don't deserve.

High priest of THOOOTP

:hobbes: *

* This post carries Jay's seal of approval
TRC
The Gap Into Spam

Post by TRC »

Ooh Ooh Ooh Mr Kotter Pick Me PIck Me !! Did I hear Oxymoron ?
1.)The Force is the Ultimate power in the Universe.

Being able to control someones mind means anything made by man can be controlled by Using the Force... i.e.... The Death Star would easily be able to be conquered by controlling the man controlling the machine.

And as for not seeing the ultimate power of the Force, the Force of one individual is only as powerful as the mind of said individual..

therefore until someone with a monstrous superb brain comes along , or they begin using the force as a collective, we won't see anyone blowing up planets or destroying an entire fleet by themselves,

But that doesn't mean it can't be done.
Yes I guess we can all just get along !

Smurfy, simply Smurfy !!!

WWW.CALDERWOODBOOKS.COM

Return to “Star Wars and Star Trek Forum”