What was Thomas Covenant's biggest lucky break?

A place to discuss the books in the FC and SC. *Please Note* No LC spoilers allowed in this forum. Do so in the forum below.

Moderators: kevinswatch, Orlion

aTOMiC
Lord

What was Thomas Covenant's biggest lucky break?

Post by aTOMiC »

Covenant when he arrived in the Land was essentially as helpless as a newborn babe. He recieved a great deal of charity from everyone including Lord Foul. If he had been left to his own devices, TC might have been killed pretty early on in the story. Is there one act that was the most pivotal to TC"s success over Foul? There were plenty of instances. I happen to think one of the first ones were the most important. But the one that stands out the most in my mind was Foamfollower's help getting TC into Foul's Creche.
"If you can't tell the difference, what difference does it make?"

"There is tic and toc in atomic" - Neil Peart
hierachy
Lord

Post by hierachy »

Yes but by that point you can't really call it a lucky break, as Foamfollower was already involved. I think one of his lucky breaks was that Lena noticed him arrive on KW, if she hadn't helped him, d'you even think he would have been able to get down, and even if he did, choose the wrong direction and there's no civilisation for a long way and I don't believehe would have lasted long by himself.
aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

Hierachy wrote:Yes but by that point you can't really call it a lucky break, as Foamfollower was already involved. I think one of his lucky breaks was that Lena noticed him arrive on KW, if she hadn't helped him, d'you even think he would have been able to get down, and even if he did, choose the wrong direction and there's no civilisation for a long way and I don't believehe would have lasted long by himself.
Terrific point.

I just think it was lucky for Covenant that Foamfollower was there at all. He could have been killed earlier. He might not have run into TC in the first place if TC had arrived earlier or later. He might have died with all the other Giants. Lots of things.

birdandbear
The Gap Into Spam

Post by birdandbear »

Yes, I think meeting Foamfollower in the first place probably kept him from going mad at the time...

And Lena....
"The first time I was here, I met a girl. Lena. She was just a kid, - but she was my friend. She kept me alive on Kevin's Watch, when I was so afraid it could have killed me."

Poor girl was definitely a lucky break for TC. He might have just gone crazy and died of vertigo if it hadn't been for her.
"If nothing we do matters, then all that matters is what we do."
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

Might have died, gone insane or killed himself on our world if hadn't run in2 the beggar/Creator...sorry CT I know I'm not really answering ur q. but just :2c: 2 begin with. Actually they may never have survived making it 2 the Creche w/o my buds and heroes the jheherrin**wants jheherrin POWER! t-shirt and bumpersticker 4 Xmas :D**
fall far and well Pilots!
Furls Fire
Lord

Post by Furls Fire »

Oh yes, it was definitely Lena. She was the one that first explained the Land to Covenant, there on Kevin's Watch.
"I am Lena," she replied formally, "daughter of Atiaran. My father is Trell, Gravelingas of the rhadhamaerl. Our home is in Mithil Stonedown. Have you been to our Stonedown?"

"No." He was tempted to ask her what a Stonedown was, but he had a more important question in mind. "Where -- " The word caught in his throat as if it were a dangerous concession to darkness. "Where are we?"

"We are upon Kevin's Watch." Springing lightly to her feet, she stretched her arms to the earth and the sky. "Behold."

Gritting his resolve, Covenant turned and knelt against the parapet. With his chest braced on the rim, he forced himself to look.

"This is the Land," Lena said joyfully, as if the outspread earth had a power to thrill her. "It reaches far beyond seeing to the north, west, and east, though the old songs say that High Lord Kevin stood here and saw the whole of the Land and all its people. So this place is named Kevin's Watch. Is it possible that you do not know this?"

Despite the coolness of the breeze, Covenant was sweating. Vertigo knuckled his temples, and only the hard edge of the stone against his heart kept it under control. "I don't know anything," he groaned into the open fall.

Lena glanced at him anxiously, then after a moment turned back to the Land. Pointing with one slim arm to the northwest, she said, "There is the Mithil River. Our Stonedown stands beside it, but hidden behind this mountain. It flows from the Southron Range behind us to join the Black River. That is the northern bound of the South Plains, where the soil is not generous and few people live. There are only five Stonedowns in the South Plains. But in this north -- going line of hills live some Woodhelvennin.

"East of the hills are the Plains of Ra." Her voice sparkled as she went on: "That is the home of the wild free horses, the Ranyhyn, and their tenders the Ramen. For fifty leagues across the Plains they gallop, and serve none that they do not themselves choose.

"Ah, Thomas Covenant," she sighed, "it is my dream to see those horses. Most. of my people are too content -- they do not travel, and have not seen so much as a Woodhelven. But I wish to walk the Plains of Ra, and see the horses galloping."

After a long pause, she resumed: "These mountains are the Southron Range. Behind them are the Wastes, and the Gray Desert. No life or passage is there; all the Land is north and west and east from us. And we stand on Kevin's Watch, where the highest of the Old Lords stood at the last battle, before the coming of the Desolation. Our people remember that, and avoid the Watch as a place of ill omen. But Atiaran my mother brought me here to teach me of the Land. And in two years I will be old enough to attend the Loresraat and learn for myself, as my mother did. Do you know," she said proudly, "my mother has studied with the Lorewardens?" She looked at Covenant as if she expected him to be impressed. But then her eyes fell, and she murmured, "But you are a Lord, and know all these things. You listen to my talk so that you may laugh at my ignorance."
Yep, definitely Lena :)
And I believe in you
altho you never asked me too
I will remember you
and what life put you thru.

~fly fly little wing, fly where only angels sing~

~this world was never meant for one as beautiful as you~

...for then I could fly away and be at rest. Sweet rest, Mom. We all love and miss you.

Image Image
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

Ok-Lena wins! (out!) :D
Furls Fire
Lord

Post by Furls Fire »

LOL!! :haha:

You just reminded me of that one Seinfeld episode, "Master of your own domain", when Kramer comes into Jerry's apartment, after failing miserably with his part of the "bet", slaps the money on the table and goes. "I'm OUT!" :lol:
And I believe in you
I will remember you

...for then I could fly away and be at rest. Sweet rest, Mom. We all love and miss you.

Image Image
DukkhaWaynhim
The Gap Into Spam

Post by DukkhaWaynhim »

I think the biggest lucky break Covenant got was when Atiaran forbade Triock from killing him.

You could argue that it wasn't luck, but Atiaran went totally against herself and made a monumental, Land-saving decision. Any Watchers out there with children? Could you have done the same? Could you let your child's rapist go unpunished no matter what kind of messiah he was supposed to be?

DukkhaWaynhim
"God is real, unless declared integer." - Unknown
birdandbear
The Gap Into Spam

Post by birdandbear »

Nope. That's where my personal line is drawn in the dirt. I believe that everyone is savable, and humans are basically good, and no man has the right to kill another, and revenge is blah de blah, and this philanthropic ideal and that moral code and all the rest of it.

I really do. But that's where it stops. Ideals are only ideals after all.
You hurt my kid, you're a dead man.

On a completely different note:
Do you know," she said proudly, "my mother has studied with the Lorewardens?"

I wonder if Atiaran knew how proud her daughter was of her?
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

The heck w/the jheherrin, MOM's RULE!!!! :R :D
Furls Fire
Lord

Post by Furls Fire »

birdie wrote:You hurt my kid, you're a dead man.
You bet your sweet bippy!!! :-x
And I believe in you
I will remember you

Image Image
birdandbear
The Gap Into Spam

Post by birdandbear »

LOL

Yep. Forgiveness and reason are admirable human traits, but the mother bear knows nothing of them. :)
Furls Fire
Lord

Post by Furls Fire »

you say true, I say thankya. :)
And I believe in you
I will remember you

Image Image
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

Considering then that Lord Foul was manipluating TC throughout the novels to get him to fulfill his plans, was it Lord Foul who arranged for Lena to be there. I'm not saying he asked her, but he may have did some subtle things.
Waddley wrote:your Highness Sir Dr. Loredoctor, PhD, Esq, the Magnificent, First of his name, Second Cousin of Dragons, White-Gold-Plate Wielder!
Thomas Covenant
Woodhelvennin

Post by Thomas Covenant »

I wasn't lucky... I was destined to succeed, and now I'm dead
I don't need a signature!
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

:haha: (sorry in non-stop giggle mode 2nite!)
Furls Fire
Lord

Post by Furls Fire »

Thomas Covenant wrote:I wasn't lucky... I was destined to succeed, and now I'm dead
Don't worry, the Laws of Life and Death were both broken...SRD will bring you back :)
And I believe in you
I will remember you

Image Image
aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

What great responses! I knew you guys wouldn't let me down. Of course TC was gifted by many people. We can recite the list. A list that would include the unfettered of Andelain, the un named warrior who died for TC at the battle of Soaring Woodhelven. Its really a very long list. :-)

Kinslaughterer
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Kinslaughterer »

Covenant's lucky break was continuing to wear his wedding ring despite being divorced for years.
"We do not follow maps to buried treasure, and remember:X never, ever, marks the spot."
- Professor Henry Jones Jr.

"Hither came Conan, the Cimmerian, black-haired, sullen-eyed, sword in hand, a thief, a reaver, a slayer, with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet."

https://crowcanyon.org/
support your local archaeologist!

Return to “The First and Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant”