Nonsense makes sense or the Gloria Scott game

A haven for game threads.

Moderator: Damelon

Lefdmae Deemalr Effaeldm
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Lefdmae Deemalr Effaeldm »

The general idea should be quite clear from the title. One poster posts a seemingly nonsensical piece of text, the next one has to filter out the words that make the actual message. If he really manages that, he may give a new code. Of course, the poster may place the words hidden at various intervals and start at different places, not necessarily the beginning, if the message is still salvageable.

Some extra information: this game happened mostly due to Sir Arthur Conan Doyle and his characters, me reading and watching a lot about them, talking to Sarge about nonsense and then coming to the Mallory's thinking on that and seeing Loremaster's avatar)
Effaeldm wrote:
sgt.null wrote:i will leave you in charge of Mallorys then. do me proud! c reate some more nonsensical games in my stead.
That may be problematic. I'm afraid some nonsense may start to make sense... and sometimes when someone doesn't want it to) I'll try, but I'd like to see you back as soon as possible, the Mallory's is going to suffer without you
Example: right from the actual "Gloria Scott"):
Coded:
'The supply of game for London is going steadily up,' it ran. 'Head-keeper Hudson, we believe, has been now told to receive all orders for fly-paper and for preservation of your hen-pheasant's life.'
Actual message:
'The game is up. Hudson has told all. Fly for your life.'

Now the new code (easy for the start):
If moon shines we all joyfully play just below this new screen a really long lot and perhaps the red fuel tank outside here may jump and fall on its back
Linna Heartbooger
Are you not a sine qua non for a redemption?

Post by Linna Heartbooger »

"If we play this a lot the tank may fall back."

No way, effy... this game is slow, and I don't think it will ever -not- be slow.

I made mine mildly horrible, though. :twisted:
I think it might work with the way your mind works...
I've only checked my code twice; I intend check it one more time for accuracy to the pattern.

The new Watch I got is convenient but it's not fantastic sometimes... you know, just alright, I guess I'd say.

about six words go here, kinda filler.. that is the way it goes sometimes in competition.
"People without hope not only don't write novels, but what is more to the point, they don't read them.
They don't take long looks at anything, because they lack the courage.
The way to despair is to refuse to have any kind of experience, and the novel, of course, is a way to have experience."
-Flannery O'Connor

"In spite of much that militates against quietness there are people who still read books. They are the people who keep me going."
-Elisabeth Elliot, Preface, "A Chance to Die: The Life and Legacy of Amy Carmichael"
Lefdmae Deemalr Effaeldm
The Gap Into Spam

The closest thing to something appears to start with "The Watch got convenient it's fantastic", possibly then "you just", but then "I I'd about words here, filler.. is way goes in ". Or perhaps I concentrated too much on this beginning that appears yo look quite promising, and it judt seems to me it's mixed up later

Do you stick to the pattern you've chosen? And do you count "it's", "I'd" etc as single words or separate shortened ones?
Linna Heartlistener wrote:...
No way, effy... this game is slow, and I don't think it will ever -not- be slow.
Well, not like I meant only this game
I made mine mildly horrible, though. :twisted:
Mildly?)
Effaeldm wrote:...
the poster may place the words hidden at various intervals and start at different places, not necessarily the beginning, if the message is still salvageable.
I think it might work with the way your mind works...
My mind mostly works well with making puzzles, not solving them :roll:
I've only checked my code twice; I intend check it one more time for accuracy to the pattern.
Are you sure now? Looks really suspicious. Or perhaps very complicated
Linna Heartbooger

if the message is still salvageable.
I think the main problem is that too many of my words are not strong enough evidence... very few that you can say, "okay, this HAS to be in the message," some you wouldn't expect.
Kinda messed-up for decoding without knowing how the code was made!!

Also, too much filler in the overall message. wayy too much.
I've actually got an idea for a better one...

You mentioned this bit:
"I'd about words here, filler.. "
This part is both filler and metatext... and you left the most important word out!
Do you stick to the pattern you've chosen? And do you count "it's", "I'd" etc as single words or separate shortened ones?
Checked it again; yes, I do... but any pattern that has variation within it is... trouble, even if the variation is consistent and reliable. (because you don't know which variation to check for!)
but that's a very important Q! Each contraction is just 1 word.

Yeah, I checked it again.

I've got an idea for a different one that's not so bad...
"People without hope not only don't write novels, but what is more to the point, they don't read them.
The way to despair is to refuse to have any kind of experience, and the novel, of course, is a way to have experience."
-Flannery O'Connor

"In spite of much that militates against quietness there are people who still read books. They are the people who keep me going."
-Elisabeth Elliot, Preface, "A Chance to Die: The Life and Legacy of Amy Carmichael"
deer of the dawn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by deer of the dawn »

Linna wrote:The Watch is not just about that competition.
Did I get yours?? :?
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle. -Philo of Alexandria

ahhhh... if only all our creativity in wickedness could be fixed by "Corrupt a Wish." - Linna Heartlistener
Linna Heartbooger

Yesss!
-Flannery O'Connor

deer of the dawn
The Gap Into Spam

Yay!! :banana: So, I'm assuming I go next?

"Watch, as the scene at lunch time is much better, too. The way we spend time definitely shows we care."

:P

ahhhh... if only all our creativity in wickedness could be fixed by "Corrupt a Wish." - Linna Heartlistener
Lefdmae Deemalr Effaeldm
The Gap Into Spam

Sigh... Looks like I'm in for sucking at a game I made - I intended the patterns to be even, without any variation, to be calculated out, and even that way I'm not sure if it could go well for me. I'm usually good at making things like these, not solving. And thus it looks like any words could be taken out of there, forming various phrases of questionable sense. Many things jump up and likely none of them correct

"Watch the lunch better" does make some sense though :biggrin:
A role-player, beware
deer of the dawn
The Gap Into Spam

Effaeldm wrote:Sigh... Looks like I'm in for sucking at a game I made - I intended the patterns to be even, without any variation, to be calculated out, and even that way I'm not sure if it could go well for me. I'm usually good at making things like these, not solving. And thus it looks like any words could be taken out of there, forming various phrases of questionable sense. Many things jump up and likely none of them correct

"Watch the lunch better" does make some sense though :biggrin:
Sorry, Effie. :hug: I just went about it backwards, I guess.

;)

deer of the dawn
The Gap Into Spam

*bump*

My apology to Effy was a hint.... :P

Lefdmae Deemalr Effaeldm
The Gap Into Spam

I did get it was a hint. - the winking emoticon does help with such things... not like it helped to get the code)
A role-player, beware
deer of the dawn
The Gap Into Spam

It's probably simpler than you are expecting. :)

sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Post by sgt.null »

Anthony Razor Shines
(born July 18, 1956)
is an American former
professional baseball
player and coach. He
played in Major League
Baseball (MLB) during
parts of four seasons
for the Montreal Expos,
primarily as a first baseman.
He later served as a base
coach for the Chicago
White Sox and New York Mets.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

Writing Edit

Tom Usher wrote the banjo
riffs while teaching a student
drop D tuning; he briefly ended
the lesson to record the riff.

The band worked on the song
the next day. According to Usher,
"Killing the Machines" was a solo
Then collaborative effort, as he
Was combining his riff with CJ
Miller's "magmalike" Upright bass,
Dennis Hanson's "funky, brutal"
drumming and Guest vocalist
Bunky Lavigne's "conviction".

Usher doubled his part on a
Fender Resonator. Shiny metal.
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

Patterns include a series or sequence that generally repeats itself. The patterns that we observe in our daily lives are those of colors, actions, shapes, numbers, etc. They can be related to any event or object and can be finite or infinite. In mathematics, patterns are a set of numbers arranged in a sequence such that they are related to each other in a specific rule. These rules define a way to calculate or solve problems. For example, in a sequence of 3,6,9,12,_, each number is increasing by 3. So, according to the pattern, the last number will be 12 + 3 = 15.
sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

Christoproses

shiny metal.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...

Return to “In Pursuit of Mallory”