Can any one of us be truly suprised or impressed any more?

A place for anything *not* Donaldson.

Moderator: I'm Murrin

aTOMiC
Lord

Can any one of us be truly suprised or impressed any more?

Post by aTOMiC »

With the saturation of what books, television and movies have shown us, is there anything left for us to be amazed by? Science Fiction and fantasy is big business and the audiences for those genres are very large and expanding every day. I would like to believe that there is someone, somewhere that is capable of making me sit back and be mesmerized like I had been many times only a few years ago. Great literary ideas. Films with groundbreaking special effects. I hope to see or read something exciting and unique soon. :-)
"If you can't tell the difference, what difference does it make?"

"There is tic and toc in atomic" - Neil Peart
Furls Fire
Lord

Post by Furls Fire »

Actually, I was amazed by Stephen King's Dark Tower series. Mostly, I think, because it really isn't like any other fantasy book I've ever read, and secondly, because I never really was a big fan of his. I've read Salem's Lot (years ago, and then again just recently because of a cross over character) and a couple of others, but I never really was all that hooked on his books. The Dark Tower books literally blew me away. They are in a class by themselves really. There are no elements of "high or epic" fantasy in them. Just some minor magic and the criss crossing into different worlds. And I love the main character, he's so enigmatic and brooding, he reminds me of TC. :)
And I believe in you
altho you never asked me too
I will remember you
and what life put you thru.

~fly fly little wing, fly where only angels sing~

~this world was never meant for one as beautiful as you~

...for then I could fly away and be at rest. Sweet rest, Mom. We all love and miss you.

Image Image
aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

I haven't read any Dark Tower but I've heard many good things. I'm sure I'll be giving them a look soon. I've read other stories by King and frankly I haven't been that interested. Of course I've seen most of the badly produced movie adaptations. I almost liked the Stand.

Brinn
S.P.O.W

Post by Brinn »

I like to think of what your referring to as "Wow! moments". Here are some of my fondest wow moments from page and screen:

Reading TCTC: No fantasy series before or since struck such a chord with me (Dark Tower and ASOIAF are close).

Reading "Gates of Fire" by Stephen Pressfield: The heroics and drama where so good I literally cried with delight.

Reading "The Dark Knight Returns": IMHO, the best graphic novel ever. Great Story, Great Art, Tremendous style...

Watching Saving Private Ryan: Gave me an appreciation of the horrors of combat and the sacrafice that our veterans have made on our behalf. A truly visceral experience.

Watching Braveheart: What can I say about this masterpiece. Quite possibly my favorite movie of all-time.

Watching FOTR: Seeing that a movie could do justice to a fantasy story. Amazing effects, brilliant acting, splendid locations. This movie demonstrated that the fantasy genre, when taken seriously, can become mainstream.

Watching the First Matrix: Mind-blowing effects. Ushered in a new genre of movie and a revolution in special FX.
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself. John Stuart Mill
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

Somebody wrote:

"I hope to see or read something exciting and unique soon."

Yeah! The 3rd Chronicles!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :S (...and ROTK :D )
fall far and well Pilots!
Furls Fire
Lord

Post by Furls Fire »

the Last Chrons are going to blow us all away that's for sure!! :) :)

Hey, speaking of ROTK, did anyone see Primetime last night..they had a whole hour devoted to it. It was really good :)
And I believe in you
I will remember you

...for then I could fly away and be at rest. Sweet rest, Mom. We all love and miss you.

Image Image
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

I saw the 1st ten minutes, then :Z: (boy was I pissed when I woke up! 8O )
Furls Fire
Lord

Post by Furls Fire »

oh NO!! They did a little snip scene with Arwen and Elrond, when her hands turn cold and he realizes that she is becoming mortal. Was good, but way too short. 30 seconds at the most...
And I believe in you
I will remember you

Image Image
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

Yup, I'll bet anything that the Last Chrons surprise and impress the shinola outta me! :D

And I haven't been moved by many books the way I was by Gates of Fire, which I made that thread about.

I think the question would work the same for songs. Somehow, another one comes along every so often that blows me away.
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Blue_Spawn
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Blue_Spawn »

I think the actual thing that truelly mezmorizes us is not the "fantasy" of the novel, but the story and how the author controls it. Without a story, all these fantasy worlds (Middle Earth, The Land, etc) are the same and quite empty. The stories pull us into the world and make it attractive, but that's really just a template. I think the plot is the core of what makes us amazed. Some of us just don't realize that at times.
Worm of Despite
Lord

Re: Can any one of us be truly suprised or impressed any mor

Post by Worm of Despite »

Cromas Tummins wrote:With the saturation of what books, television and movies have shown us, is there anything left for us to be amazed by? Science Fiction and fantasy is big business and the audiences for those genres are very large and expanding every day. I would like to believe that there is someone, somewhere that is capable of making me sit back and be mesmerized like I had been many times only a few years ago. Great literary ideas. Films with groundbreaking special effects. I hope to see or read something exciting and unique soon. :-)
I'm workin' on it! My sci-fi novel's on page 258.
"I support the destruction of the Think-Tank." - Avatar, August 2008
Thomas Covenant
Woodhelvennin

Post by Thomas Covenant »

danlo wrote:Somebody wrote:

"I hope to see or read something exciting and unique soon."

Yeah! The 3rd Chronicles!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :S (...and ROTK :D )
Please, can't you just leave me in peace. I'm dead for gods sake. I've already saved the land, twice! (well, one and a half times). Do I really have to go through all that pain again? I'm not sure if I can handel being that depressed and hopeless again. And you know how it goes, each Sequell has to have a bigger, more deadly and unstoppable danger than the last, how do you expect me to win? I don't even have my ring anymore! You are all looking forward to the next chrons, well I say to you, it's not that easy.
I don't need a signature!
Reisheiruhime
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Reisheiruhime »

Thomas Covenant wrote:Please, can't you just leave me in peace. I'm dead for gods sake. I've already saved the land, twice! (well, one and a half times). Do I really have to go through all that pain again? I'm not sure if I can handel being that depressed and hopeless again. And you know how it goes, each Sequell has to have a bigger, more deadly and unstoppable danger than the last, how do you expect me to win? I don't even have my ring anymore! You are all looking forward to the next chrons, well I say to you, it's not that easy.
Oh, you poor thing! Here, come with me to fanfic-Land, and you can go on living your life as a normal person. Why, you don't even have to be a leper.

BTW, I can be impressed. Reading a Peirs Anthony book was very impressing to me.
aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

I agree with everyone that mentioned the third chronicles. There are cinematic things I look forward too. TROTK for sure. I saw the entire primetime live special. Just whetted my appetite. I look forward to the final Star Wars film. I can't wait to see the up coming Fantastic Four movie. Thank to rumor I know that hollywood is working on the script for a big budget IRON MAN movie. I am hopeful my novel (not to be confused with my short story project) "Omegabane of Randecore" will have something pretty cool in store. I'm happy with the story concept. Its big and its heroic. We'll see how that turns out. In any case I'm looking for exciting things. :-)

Dragonlily
Lord

Post by Dragonlily »

I'm frequently impressed.

Just yesterday:
The solution to James White's short story "Dogfight"
The scene with Medusa in the movie "Clash of the Titans"
The mail owls in HP Sorcerer's Stone
The beautiful people in "Octopussy"
Michelle O'Leary's insouciant predator heroine in THE HUNTRESS
The delicate humanity in R.A. MacAvoy's fantasy
Whatever page I happen to look at, in an SRD book.

In general,
Learning a new computer technique.
A new idea to laugh with.
Solving a problem.
Finding a new talent I can promote.

Being impressed is fun. It might even be the secret to a happy life.
:D
"The universe is made of stories, not atoms." -- Roger Penrose
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

I need only mention one certain joyous occasion in aSoS by GRRM - I, at least, can be surprised....
Dragonlily
Lord

Post by Dragonlily »

Murrin wrote:I need only mention one certain joyous occasion in aSoS by GRRM - I, at least, can be surprised....
The first joyous occasion I thought of was the one involving Lysa. The second involved Lord Lannister. Not even mentioning the plethora of less positive surprises. Which joyous occasion did you mean...?
Brinn
S.P.O.W

Post by Brinn »

Possibly a "Red" joyous occasion? ;)
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself. John Stuart Mill
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

8O (ouch!)
Dragonlily
Lord

Post by Dragonlily »

Yes, I was not impressed at that one. :-x

Return to “General Fantasy/Sci-Fi Discussion”