Hugo (3D).

The KWMdB.

Moderators: dANdeLION, sgt.null

peter
The Gap Into Spam

Hugo (3D).

Post by peter »

Can't see a recent thread on this film and as I saw it on Sunday in my local multiplex (is that what these multiple screen cinema's are called) and loved it, I thought I'd pass on the message.

The film has one of these achingly beautiful (sort of not quite real - think Moulin Rouge) panoramic backdrops of Paris against which is set the magical story of an orphan boy who lives sequestered in the hidden tunnels of la Gare du Nord in 1920's France. His quest in life, apart from keeping the stations clocks wound, is to fix a writing automaton that he hopes will reveal a message from his dead father. He meets an orphan girl and together they embark on a quest to unravell the mystery surrounding her guardian - the enigmatic Papa Georges, who is in some way connected to Hugo's own quest.

While on the surface a kids film with it's bright colors and bustling sets, a deeper story soon emerges of the history of cinema's early days which takes it out of it's earlier aparent genre (in fact on Sunday the kids in the auditorium were clearly struggling with it's length and (for them) lack of 'action). I don't know if it deserved to be in 'the Best Film' catagory of the recent Oscars but it was surely up there as a very special piece of cinema. It fails here and there on a few small points (one story line - in fairness non explicit - seemed to go nowhere and the kid actors are, well, kids so you just can't expect as much of them as adults) but in all it was a joy to see and I loved it. Scorsese's first family film was always going to be something special and yes, the master pulled it off.
The truth is a Lion and does not need protection. Once free it will look after itself.

....and the glory of the world becomes less than it was....
'Have we not served you well'
'Of course - you know you have.'
'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Post by sgt.null »

would love to see it, have yet to be able to figure out what it is about from the previews.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

Try to see the 3D version if you can Sarge. It's one film that really does benefit from it in that the big panoramic shots have real depth to them.
The truth is a Lion and does not need protection. Once free it will look after itself.

'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
Usivius
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Usivius »

well worded review, peter. I really liked it on first viewing, and it stuck with me days and almost weeks after. I have to see it again. but I really like the way the story moved and morphed and changed.
~...with a floating smile and a light blue sponge...~
sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

peter wrote:Try to see the 3D version if you can Sarge. It's one film that really does benefit from it in that the big panoramic shots have real depth to them.
i won't be able to see it in the theater before i am healed.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

Too bad Sarge - shame. (by the way did I miss something - did you have the ankle op done?)

'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

peter wrote:Too bad Sarge - shame. (by the way did I miss something - did you have the ankle op done?)
yes. staples come out monday.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

Exellent! Best of luck with it Sarge.

'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

peter wrote:Exellent! Best of luck with it Sarge.
\

thanks - the staples itch and tug...
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
Cambo
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cambo »

I loved Hugo. As you say, I don't know if it'd go in Best Picture category for me, but definitely a wonderful movie experience.

I'm interested Peter, what was the plot thread that you saw going nowhere? I don't think I picked up on it, at least, I can't bring it to mind.
^"Amusing, worth talking to, completely insane...pick your favourite." - Avatar

https://variousglimpses.wordpress.com

Return to “Flicks”