Greatest Album of All Time

Who's listening to what, what's going on in the music industry....

Moderators: StevieG, dANdeLION, lucimay

Worm of Despite
Lord

Greatest Album of All Time

Post by Worm of Despite »

I know it's all opinion, really, but, ahem, some albums are more equal than others. There are, simply, those that stand out. Personally, it's not my favorite album (Pink Floyd's Wish You Were Here is), but I think the glorious Pet Sounds by The Beach Boys has yet to be surpassed. In 1965 Brain Wilson took himself and captured it in Pet Sounds.
"I support the destruction of the Think-Tank." - Avatar, August 2008
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

War of the Worlds. Brilliant album based off one of the greatest works of literature ever.
Waddley wrote:your Highness Sir Dr. Loredoctor, PhD, Esq, the Magnificent, First of his name, Second Cousin of Dragons, White-Gold-Plate Wielder!
Lord Mhoram
Lord

Post by Lord Mhoram »

Hmmm today, I'd probably say Wish You Were Here.
Revan
Drool Rockworm's Servant

Post by Revan »

Iowa is good...
matrixman
The Gap Into Spam

Greatest album of all time

Post by matrixman »

edit
Last edited by matrixman on Thu Jan 06, 2005 12:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
hierachy
Lord

Post by hierachy »

Darth Revan wrote:Iowa is good...

WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! you fool.
Revan
Drool Rockworm's Servant

Post by Revan »

I was joking.
Revan
Drool Rockworm's Servant

Post by Revan »

Though I do like it.
aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

Drums & Wires: XTC
"If you can't tell the difference, what difference does it make?"

"There is tic and toc in atomic" - Neil Peart
Revan
Drool Rockworm's Servant

Post by Revan »

Who?
aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

Darth Revan wrote:Who?
XTC

They are from your neck of the woods, Revan.
I don't however expect you to know every band from England just because you live there. I don't know about every band from the USA.

Its okay.

Revan
Drool Rockworm's Servant

Post by Revan »

I need to know!
aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

XTC hail from Swindon, a once decaying railway centre and now growing business centre, in Wiltshire, England. XTC have been singing songs voicing their view of the world since 1977, when they hit the London music scene during the height of the Punk explosion. With the name XTC, they were often mistakenly considered to be part of the Punk and New Wave movements themselves, but XTC are determinedly pop! One of the foremost and long-lived bands in the power pop movement spearheaded by such luminaries as The Beach Boys, The Beatles, and The Kinks, XTC have ofttimes tipped their hat (and winked their collective eye) to those bands, and many others. In the mid-80s, XTC went underground and appeared, dressed in purple paisley, as the psychedelic Dukes of Stratosphear with their EP 25 O'Clock. Since that time XTC have had hits in America with such songs as the controversial "Dear God", written as a child's letter to his creator, which helped their album Skylarking become the favourite of many XTC fans, and their anti-fame song "The Mayor of Simpleton", from their 1989 double LP Oranges & Lemons. XTC's latest album is called Wasp Star (Apple Venus Volume 2), and marks the return to XTC's electric sound. Andy Partridge calls it "eclectric".

XTC is arguably led by Andy Partridge, guitarist, singer, prolific songwriter, and public persona of XTC. Andy can be brilliant, witty, and difficult by turns. Andy also suffers from acute stage fright, a factor which led XTC to end their career as a live touring band in 1982. Andy, born in Malta, has lived in Swindon for most of his life. Andy has been influential in the music world since the early 80s, working with such artists as Thomas Dolby, The Residents, Riuichi Sakamoto, Terry Hall, Cathy Dennis, Joan Armatrading, and Harold Budd. Andy has also been in demand as a producer for the likes of The Lilac Time, Martin Newell, Yazbek, and Peter Blegvad.

Colin Moulding is the other member of XTC, responsible for many of the songs that people remember XTC for, including their first breakthrough hit "Making Plans for Nigel", the anti-war "Generals and Majors", and the MTV favorite "King for a Day". Colin is the bassist for XTC, and has contributed his talents on the bass guitar to albums by such artists as Sam Phillips, Peter Blegvad, and the French alternative group Affaire Louis Trio.

Some say the musical meat of XTC was provided by Dave Gregory, who left the band during the recording of Apple Venus Volume 1. Dave was hired prior to the recording of the album Drums and Wires to replace original keyboardist Barry Andrews. Dave is a multi-instrumentalist, playing guitar, keyboards, singing background vocals, and providing string arrangements as well. Dave is often in demand as a session and live player, having worked with such artists as Peter Gabriel, Zeke Manyika, The Big Dish, Aimee Mann, the Italian singer Alice, Jennifer Trynin, Becki Di Gregorio, and Brian Stevens.

The original drummer for XTC was Terry Chambers, a no-nonsense hard drinking man. He loved to tour and to pound the skins. When XTC went from being a well-oiled touring machine to a studio band with time on their hands, Terry decided to leave the band and moved to Australia with his wife.

Barry Andrews was a one-of-a-kind keyboard madman, the original fourth member of XTC. His antics as well as his melodic and rhythmic contributions helped form the basis of the early XTC sound. It was his originality as much as anything that eventually led him to quit the group. He went on to work with Robert Fripp's League of Gentlemen, and then formed the band Shriekback, who met with a good measure of success.

Revan
Drool Rockworm's Servant

Post by Revan »

aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

No sweat. I have just about everthing XTC has put out. I know they aren't the most popular band around. But Drums and Wires had a big impact on me.

Revan
Drool Rockworm's Servant

Post by Revan »

heh, I'll try and listen to some of their music, I'm sure my dad has them somewhere. He has thousands of albums.
aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

Darth Revan wrote:heh, I'll try and listen to some of their music, I'm sure my dad has them somewhere. He has thousands of albums.
I recomend English Settlement to get started.
Drums and Wires is a little less main stream and therefore less accessable.
If he has it of course.
:-)

Revan
Drool Rockworm's Servant

Post by Revan »

Ok, I'll try it.
Revan
Drool Rockworm's Servant

Post by Revan »

If he doesn't, I'll buy it.
Rivenrock
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Rivenrock »

Last edited by Rivenrock on Thu Jan 06, 2005 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Vespers”