Changes to the Chrons in different editions.

A place to discuss the books in the FC and SC. *Please Note* No LC spoilers allowed in this forum. Do so in the forum below.

Moderators: kevinswatch, Orlion

peter
The Gap Into Spam

Changes to the Chrons in different editions.

Post by peter »

Does anyone know if the Chrons have ever been altered,abridged or otherwise ghanged in any of the many and various editions that have been published over the years.

Also - has there ever been a 'graphic novel' version and if not, is there any reason why it wouldn't work?
Your politicians screwed you over and you are suprised by this?

....and the glory of the world becomes less than it was....
'Have we not served you well'
'Of course - you know you have.'
'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
bikebryan
Ramen

Post by bikebryan »

"Graphic Novel?" Is that a nice way to say "Comic Book?" Then to my knowledge, NO, and I hope it stays that way. How do you "draw" health? That is the same problem with trying to adapt these series to movies.
Shuram Gudatetris
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Shuram Gudatetris »

bikebryan wrote:How do you "draw" health?
With those little "sparkle" stars.

I would definitely enjoy a graphic novel, especially if the artist was as "receptive" to the original story and author as Scott Brick.
Covenant is Linden Frankenstein's monster.

I maxed-out Tetris!
Frostheart Grueburn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Frostheart Grueburn »

I've seen an abridged version of ROTE in the American Audible.com store (personally, could have done with that instead of slogging through leagues of lukewarm purple prose...:crazy:), but I believe that's the only single different edition I've ever come across.

I'd LOVE to read a comic book, especially about the 2nd chrons. Provided that the cast's kept in character and the drawing quality doesn't make one cringe.
Lefdmae Deemalr Effaeldm
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Lefdmae Deemalr Effaeldm »

I like the idea of shortened and abridged and otherwise altered versions, I think they should exist so that people can pick what they like.

That said, when I did my dissection of two AATE chapters in the dissection forum I found myself having serious problems cutting out even a slightest bit. There are books that are a pleasant reading experience, but on a closer look are next to nothing, and even get worse and worse, like "The more he looked inside the more Piglet wasn't there". But the chronicles get more precious on every new and closer look, they feel like something so close to the heart no single word should be left out.

But certainly not everyone may or should feel like me) As for the graphic novel / comic book idea, I like it very much. Pictures!)

And it shouldn't actually be a problem to depict health, there are even several ways - using some symbolic thing, like the stars mentioned, drawing in a different style, or showing extra pictures with some aura visible to show how it could look if eyes could see it, possibly more.
A role-player, beware
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

There were some changes to Runes when the paperback was released.
In the Gradual Interview was wrote:Simeon Rabbani: After the 'Runes' paperback edition is released, will a list of the differences between it and the hardback edition be made available on this site?
  • This has been much debated. In the end, I decided not to post a list of the textual changes. For one thing, the kinds of "corrections" that I made for the paperback are embarrassing. ("How could I have been stupid enough to make a mistake like *that*? Thank God they're going to let me fix it!") For another, the corrections will be of interest to only an extremely small number of readers. For still another, the corrections themselves are small. And for yet another, I could easily argue that none of the corrections are "substantive": they do not in any way alter the *content* of "The Runes of the Earth." I'll humiliate myself by citing one example. If you compare the Prologue of "The Wounded Land" with the Prologue of "Runes," you may notice a discrepancy in the descriptions of Jeremiah's "family of origin." To my eternal chagrin, I got both the genders and the relative ages of his siblings wrong. Well, this sort of screw-up makes me want to shoot myself in the head--but it isn't substantive. It doesn't change the story in any way: it's the factual equivalent of a typo. So-o-o-o-- I hope you'll forgive me for feeling that I've already embarrassed myself enough.

(11/07/2005)
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

Interesting that (so far at least) there seems to be a consensus in favor of a graphic novel (yes - posh way of saying a comic. Infact I used the word 'comic' at first and then changed it to the latter when I remembered that that is what they call (adultish) comics these days :lol: ). I too, would have no problem with the idea if (a big 'if' however) it was well done. Similarly I would like to see a film version attempted, always assuming that it was as well done as TLOTR was by Jackson. Watchmen translated very well in my opinion between graphic novel and film and I see no reason per se why the Chrons should not also be able cross the media divide (is that the right way to put it?).

In respect of edited versions of the Chrons, I remember SRD saying in the intro to 'Gilden Fire' that he was a 'notorious over-writer'. Looking at the Chrons now I (last chrons exepted) I see no evidence of this in the way they were finally served up to us, and as was noted earlier, it would be almost impossible for me to sacrifice even one word of it if I had the thankless task of attempting to prepare a streamlined version.
Your politicians screwed you over and you are suprised by this?

....and the glory of the world becomes less than it was....
'Have we not served you well'
'Of course - you know you have.'
'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

(Chronicles graphic novel. Chronicles movie. Chronicles TV series. Chronicles animated TV series. Chronicles webisodes. Fantasy Bedtime Hour: Illearth War. Oh, we want it all. :))
deer of the dawn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by deer of the dawn »

If someone could spend about fifteen years doing the Chrons as a comic book series, it might be worthwhile; the Chrons is so long and I would hate to see it just cranked out.

I have the UK version of ROTE and I noticed a small "correction" that ppl here mentioned but was not in my version. So this explains it.
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle. -Philo of Alexandria

ahhhh... if only all our creativity in wickedness could be fixed by "Corrupt a Wish." - Linna Heartlistener
Lefdmae Deemalr Effaeldm
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Lefdmae Deemalr Effaeldm »

Wishing for too much is sometimes getting nothing, and reaction like this may scare off those who could at least try.

On with the list: Chronicles computer games in many genres, including MMORPG, stratgies, quests etc., animated web comics, of course, FBH:TLD (with everything before it) and something like Disneyland, only better (What can it be called, Donaldsonland? Covenantland? Chronsland? Landland? :biggrin: ) Likely not all the list, may continue)
A role-player, beware

Return to “The First and Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant”