Findail's true mission.....was it to become law incarnant

A place to discuss the books in the FC and SC. *Please Note* No LC spoilers allowed in this forum. Do so in the forum below.

Moderators: kevinswatch, Orlion

Wonderer
Servant of the Land

Findail's true mission.....was it to become law incarnant

Post by Wonderer »

I've never posted before but have certainly enjoyed some of the comments and discussions.Any way as I started to say does anyone have an opinion of what Findail's true mission was as he saw it,was he miserable because of his wurd as the rest of the Elohim saw it? Was it his "doom" and destinany to become law incarnant or did he really expect Linden or TC to hand over the white gold,as I finished WGW for the third time I found myself still wondering what he was talking about when he said to Vain he would not suffer that doom.Finally any thought on wether the rest of the Elohim expected Findail to capture the white gold and if he had would what could they have done with it besides unwittingly destroyed the world themselves?
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

Welcome to the boards, Wonderer! I think Findail did know that he would merge with Vain - that's why he fought so hard to prevent him towards the end. Up until that time he probably though if he could capture the white gold he'd have a chance to fix things other than what Vain had in mind.
If the Elohim had captured the white gold they probably would have broken the Arch of Time.
Waddley wrote:your Highness Sir Dr. Loredoctor, PhD, Esq, the Magnificent, First of his name, Second Cousin of Dragons, White-Gold-Plate Wielder!
Landwaster
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Landwaster »

Findail's struggle sort of reminds me of the way we often struggle against the inevitability of death. Its gonna happen, its predestined, its the way of things, and yet we dread it.

I wonder if there is some deliberate corroboration.
Do you think I like being this dangerous?
Furls Fire
Lord

Post by Furls Fire »

Actually, Findail's main goal was to get Covenant to give up his ring to Linden. So that Ringweilder and Sun-Sage were one in the same. If that failed, he was supposed to try to gain the ring himself. The "last resort" if you want to call it that, was the merging with Vain. But that was inevitable and he knew it, which was why he was so miserable.
And I believe in you
altho you never asked me too
I will remember you
and what life put you thru.

~fly fly little wing, fly where only angels sing~

~this world was never meant for one as beautiful as you~

...for then I could fly away and be at rest. Sweet rest, Mom. We all love and miss you.

Image Image
birdandbear
The Gap Into Spam

Post by birdandbear »

Why, do you think, were the Earthpower incarnate Elohim unable to see what Mhoram, a puny mortal, saw - that TC himself was the white gold?
"If nothing we do matters, then all that matters is what we do."
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

Maybe they could see but were blind to the fact, if that makes sense.
Waddley wrote:your Highness Sir Dr. Loredoctor, PhD, Esq, the Magnificent, First of his name, Second Cousin of Dragons, White-Gold-Plate Wielder!
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

It didn't matter that Covenant himself was the white gold. He was not also the Sun-Sage. The Elohim knew that the two had to be one in order to fix things. And since Covenant could not become the Sun-Sage, he had to give Linden the white gold.
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Landwaster
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Landwaster »

But TC WAS the white gold. Or he was the wild magic, anyway. So what is achieved by Linden having the ring?
Do you think I like being this dangerous?
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

Covenant couldn't see, so he didn't know what to do with the wild magic. And it wouldn't work for Linden to say, "OK, now do X. Now do Y." With her sight, she just let the wild magic flow, and intuitively do what was needed.
All lies and jest
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Furls Fire
Lord

Post by Furls Fire »

The Elohim knew Covenant was being corrupted by the venom, hence the wild magic was also being corrupted. When Mhoram told Covenant "You are the white gold", I don't believe he meant it literally, not at that time anyway. What he meant was, "you don't need a 'trigger', it's what is inside you that calls forth the wild magic." In other words, Covenant could simply save or damn the Earth just by 'thinking' it while holding his ring. Such power was witnessed at the end of TPTP with just a "flick of an idea" he freed Foamfollower from his fetters before detroying the Stone. But, he needed the ring to do it.

So, after saying all that...The same was true with Linden. The Elohim wanted her to have the ring because she was the Sun-Sage. She was the one destined to heal the Sun. But she couldn't do it with out the ring. Covenant actually didn't not become "wild magic incarnate, and the keystone to the AoT until after he his caamora in the Banefire, which infused him with wild magic and venom. It was then, that he literally became the white gold. But, he was also poison. Findail, I think, knew his fate was sealed then and there. As he followed Covenant to the Banefire. It was Linden and ring that made the merging possible, it was Linden, the ring, and the new Staff of Law that healed the Land.

Okay, did I make any sense at all??? It is only 6:30 am and I'm not sure my brain is in full function mode...hehe :)
And I believe in you
I will remember you

...for then I could fly away and be at rest. Sweet rest, Mom. We all love and miss you.

Image Image
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

Furls Fire wrote:Okay, did I make any sense at all??? It is only 6:30 am and I'm not sure my brain is in full function mode...hehe :)
I'm glad I'm not the only one who comes here first thing in the morning! :D I get up, check things here, and then get breakfast and ready for work. :D
All lies and jest
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Furls Fire
Lord

Post by Furls Fire »

LOL! That's how it is with me. I get my coffee, which is decaf right now, bleck :| , then come turn on the computer. I don't always come to the Watch first tho. (I know, blasphemy!! :x )

;)
And I believe in you
I will remember you

Image Image
dANdeLION
Lord

Post by dANdeLION »

You know, it's funny, but I bet if Findail (or Cable Seadreamer) didn't know their fate ahead of time, when the momont came, they would have chosen to give themselves up the way they did. WHat made them constantly sad was the knowledge of what they had to do. I think SRD's main point to the reader is that there's no fun in knowing your future.
Dandelion don't tell no lies
Dandelion will make you wise
Tell me if she laughs or cries
Blow away dandelion

I'm afraid there's no denying
I'm just a dandelion
a fate I don't deserve.

High priest of THOOOTP

:hobbes: *

* This post carries Jay's seal of approval
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

Furls Fire wrote:I don't always come to the Watch first tho. (I know, blasphemy!! :x )

;)
*GASP* My whole image of you is shot!!!

:lol:
All lies and jest
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

dAN, I think that Findail would have fought his fate with every fibre of his being, no matter when he found out about it. But I agree that just about any other character would have given themselves. Yeah, knowing what's coming is not necessarily a good thing. How many of us would want to know the moment that we will die?
All lies and jest
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
dANdeLION
Lord

Post by dANdeLION »

And yet Findail never left TC's side. Based on that, have to respectfully disagree.
Dandelion don't tell no lies
Dandelion will make you wise
Tell me if she laughs or cries
Blow away dandelion

I'm afraid there's no denying
I'm just a dandelion
a fate I don't deserve.

High priest of THOOOTP

:hobbes: *

* This post carries Jay's seal of approval
Furls Fire
Lord

Post by Furls Fire »

LOL Fist! :haha: that was a shocker, huh?? heh :)

And Dan, Findail definitely knew what his fate would ultimately be. And your right, that was why he was so miserable. But he knew. When Linden refused to take Covenant's ring when he was in that "silence", he knew then what was probably going to happen. Findail really had no choice. He was "appointed" for it.
the Appointed murmured like
a child, "I am Elohim. Kastenessen cursed me with death—but I am not made for death. I must not die."

The Demondim-spawn's reply was so unexpected that Linden recoiled a step. "You will not die." His voice was mellifluous and clean, as perfect as his sculpted flesh—and entirely devoid of compassion. He neither dismissed nor acknowledged Findail's fear. "It is not death. It is purpose. We will redeem the Earth from corruption."
I just LOVED it when Vain spoke!!! :)
And I believe in you
I will remember you

Image Image
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

Interesting point. My take on that is that Findail did his duty, right down to the bitter end, as all the Appointed (except Kastenessen) did, regardless of how they felt. And he did what he could to avoid that particular fate.
All lies and jest
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

Yes, Fire!! Vain speaking was SOOOOOO cool!!! I mean, we knew it had to happen at some point, but it was so great when it finally did!! And he seems to have been the one with all the answers. Perfect wisdom to go along with his perfect form. He knew his own purpose, how Findail would fit in, how Covenant would help the process along, what Linden would be able to accomplish with it, everything!
All lies and jest
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Furls Fire
Lord

Post by Furls Fire »

YEP!!! I always wondered if Vain could have answered everything all along if Covenant had only used the command thingie and told Vain to "talk".
And I believe in you
I will remember you

Image Image

Return to “The First and Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant”