Guardians of the Galaxy Movie and Rocket Racoon

Look! Up in the sky! *To be continued...* (This story continued in KW Comics #263)

Moderators: dANdeLION, aTOMiC, sgt.null

aTOMiC
Lord

Guardians of the Galaxy Movie and Rocket Racoon

Post by aTOMiC »

First of all let me say that I stopped giving a crap about the Guardians of the Galaxy in the mid 80s and haven't read a book guest starring or featuring any version of the group since.

Now since Marvel announced that they were adapting the Guardians to a feature film in the same universe as the live action Avengers I have heard nothing but talk about Rocket Racoon and how it will be fantastic to see that character realized on the big screen.

IMHO there is no viable way to adapt that character without major loss of credibility. I don't care how cool the character is in the comics. (Which by the way is a matter of opinion). I've always enjoyed Howard the Duck but there isn't any way it was or could be possible to have a talking Duck fighting alongside Iron man or Captain America or Black Widow without it coming off like an acid trip and eliciting hearty guffaws.

And if anyone brings up the notion that Marvel was able to successfully integrate an animated character into the Avengers (Hulk) and make the argument that "if handled correctly" they'd have the same results with a talking Racoon...well... the very idea of it makes me a little nauseous.

I know it's been a while but the Guardians I remember were all at least humanoid and the stories they were involved in were indeed pretty cool and cosmic/galactic in nature so I'm not against the idea in principal but I just hope good sense doesn't get overridden by hardcore Guardians fans having a cow that their beloved Rocket Racoon was not included in the film, which I think would be the correct way to go.

Just my two bit opinion of course.
"If you can't tell the difference, what difference does it make?"

"There is tic and toc in atomic" - Neil Peart
sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Post by sgt.null »

m - sorry, but Rocket Racoon is coolfighting along side Groot. i have no faith that the film will be any good, but the source material is excellent. i have that full run.

you can come over and read it. :)
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

Don't get me wrong. From a comic book standpoint I can see the appeal and I know that RR is cool. My point doesn't have anything to do with whether the character is interesting or exciting its whether it makes any sense at all to include him in a live action, semi-serious, big budget production. I'm saying...no.

As to dropping by one evening to read through the entire run of Guardians I'll have to consult my travel agent first. :-)
"If you can't tell the difference, what difference does it make?"

"There is tic and toc in atomic" - Neil Peart
Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

Guardians of the Galaxy? My response when I first heard about this was "wtf? no one except comic book geeks will know who they are" and that is still my response.

On the other hand....this movie will be so bad--MST3K bad--that it will be good.

Marvel shouldn't be doing lesser-known characters except as animated direct-to-DVD releases. Instead, they should be doing movies about these characters: Dr. Strange (yes, I know there is an animated one already--perhaps the cost of all the digital magic effects and locations was cost-prohibitive for live action), Black Panther, She-Hulk, and...hrm...well, I can't think of another lesser-known character right now. *shrug*
The Tank is gone and now so am I.
sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

tom - i have lots of stuff. you should stop by. :)

i do wish they had done a Starlord before this. if I were them I would tell the story that brought Starlord, Rocket Racoon, Groot, Mantis and Captain Universe together.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Annihilation:_Conquest

Hashi - there was a Doctor Strange movie made years ago.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dr._Strange_(1978_film)
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
dANdeLION
Lord

Post by dANdeLION »

Hashi Lebwohl wrote:Guardians of the Galaxy? My response when I first heard about this was "wtf?
That's the only sane response one can possibly have, considering the plethora of better characters to choose from. Groot? Rocket Racoon? Sounds like Saturday morning cartoon material to me.
Dandelion don't tell no lies
Dandelion will make you wise
Tell me if she laughs or cries
Blow away dandelion

I'm afraid there's no denying
I'm just a dandelion
a fate I don't deserve.

High priest of THOOOTP

:hobbes: *

* This post carries Jay's seal of approval
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

Marvel has been doing so well with movies. Some fantastic, others merely good. Why would they want to go and screw their record with something that will so obviously screw their record?
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

sgt.null wrote:Hashi - there was a Doctor Strange movie made years ago.
Yes, I have seen it before. Although not bad, the character could do for a reboot and a plot with some updated themes. My advice for a Dr. Strange movie would be to introduce Strange, The Ancient One, Karl Mordo, and Clea but only hint at Dormammu (a faceless being we hear speaking to Mordo). Anyway...I digress.
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

There's a Dr Strange movie that appears to have been in development hell for the last 15 years or so, but may be in the works now...
sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

Starlord, Starhawk, Groot, Mantis, Drax... the budget alone for make up and effects. my guess is they will dumb it down. and ruin it in the process.

hashi - Dr. Strange should make for an excellent film. use the Ditko art as a canvas.

and why not a Moon Knight film? a good Daredevil film?
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
dANdeLION
Lord

Post by dANdeLION »

Meh. Brunner's Strange was much better.
Blow away dandelion

I'm just a dandelion
a fate I don't deserve.

High priest of THOOOTP

sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

you know what movie needs to be made?

Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
dANdeLION
Lord

Post by dANdeLION »

I wonder, would they film it in 3-d?
Blow away dandelion

I'm just a dandelion
a fate I don't deserve.

High priest of THOOOTP

sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

dANdeLION wrote:I wonder, would they film it in 3-d?
it would be the only 3D film i would watch...
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

As near as I can tell, I think they are doing a Guardians of the Galaxy Movie to introduce Thanos as a villain. Kinda like how Loki was introduced in the Thor movie before he was the main villain in The Avengers.

So why Guardians of the Galaxy? Because Silver Surfer is owned by someone else. And so is Fantastic Four. So the superheroes known by the public that would be in space and might encounter Thanos are off limits or following a different storyline (I'm thinking about Thor 2). So you get Guardians of the Galaxy since one of them is attached to Thanos (I forget which one).

Rocket Raccoon is the worst idea ever. Well, let me rephrase that: the current cinematic universe is not set up to have a talking raccoon as a protagonist. There is absolutely no precedent. It would appear from left field, it will rub the audiences the wrong way, there is no way they can 'do this right'.
'Tis dream to think that Reason can
Govern the reasoning creature, man.
- Herman Melville

I am Lazarus, come from the dead,
Come back to tell you all, I shall tell you all!

"All creation is a huge, ornate, imaginary, and unintended fiction; if it could be deciphered it would yield a single shocking word."
-John Crowley
dANdeLION
Lord

Post by dANdeLION »

You didn't need to rephrase it. People are going to hear the name 'Rocket Racoon" and immediately think he's a "Rocky Racoon" ripoff. Which is exactly what it is, isn't it? It won't be taken seriously, and if Thanos is thwarted in any way by RR, then he won't be taken seriously, either. Marvel should put Thanos in the next Iron Man movie, seeing as that's where he first appeared comic-wise.
Blow away dandelion

I'm just a dandelion
a fate I don't deserve.

High priest of THOOOTP

sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

Orlion wrote: So you get Guardians of the Galaxy since one of them is attached to Thanos (I forget which one).
Drax the Destroyer
Gamora
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

sgt.null wrote:Drax the Destroyer
Gamora
Wasn't Drax some sort of reanimated being programmed to fight Thanos?

Gamora was Thanos' favorite assassin, if I recall.
sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

Arthur Douglas was a human whose family was attacked and killed by the supervillain Thanos. Needing a champion to combat Thanos, the being known as Kronos took Arthur's spirit and placed it in a powerful new body, and Drax the Destroyer was born. Drax's powers included enhanced strength and resilience, flight, and the ability to project energy blasts from his hands. The character often battled Thanos, and on occasion the superheroes Captain Marvel and Adam Warlock. He was also a member of the group known as the Infinity Watch.

Star-Lord recruits Drax for the new Guardians of the Galaxy. The Guardians are forced to ally themselves with a resurrected Thanos and travel into an alternate reality known as the "Cancerverse". While experiencing a bout of madness, Drax attacks Thanos and is killed. Drax later reappears with the Guardians on Earth without reference to his death.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

kevinswatch.ihugny.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=22854

please check out the hero history of the Guardians I posted. they are a great team and I think if done as a serious movie, it could be great. I don't hold out that much hope though.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...

Return to “dANdeLION's Comics Cave”