New reader, inbound!

Hey Newbies, over here first ;) Come on in and tell us more about yourself. IMPORTANT: For new members, please read "New Members Only" BEFORE registering.

Moderators: Savor Dam, Menolly

Iolanthe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Iolanthe »

Major Isoor wrote: On a side-note, would I be able to make a thread in either the 1st+2nd Chron forum or the Dissecting forum where I can ask about any questions I have regarding the books when they crop up, as well as discuss certain points? (for instance, a potentially major discussion point from the First Chronicles:
Spoiler
Elena breaking the law of death with the EarthBlood, and what we each think should've been done, instead
. :( )

Since yeah, hopefully then I'll be safe from spoilers, which is the main concern - otherwise I'll probably post in an existing thread, but I'll have to be cautious about reading the previous posts!
That's a good idea Major. You could spend a year trying to find a relevant thread to post in, and find out all kinds of things you didn't want to know - yet. :D
I am playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order!

"I must state plainly, Linden, that you have become wondrous in my sight."
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

Major Isoor wrote:On a side-note, would I be able to make a thread in either the 1st+2nd Chron forum or the Dissecting forum where I can ask about any questions I have regarding the books when they crop up, as well as discuss certain points? (for instance, a potentially major discussion point from the First Chronicles:
Spoiler
Elena breaking the law of death with the EarthBlood, and what we each think should've been done, instead
. :( )

Since yeah, hopefully then I'll be safe from spoilers, which is the main concern - otherwise I'll probably post in an existing thread, but I'll have to be cautious about reading the previous posts!
I agree with Iolanthe; I think a newbie question thread is a good idea.

You may want to title it something along the lines of "Chrons Virgin Questions - no spoilers please," and state exactly where you are up to in each post. I did something similar when I was reading King's Dark Tower series, in the A Fresh Journey to the Tower thread. Or, you could try discussing each question you may have in the appropriate dissection chapter thread, making it clear you hadn't read any further each time, and would only like replies based on what has been read so far.
Major Isoor
Woodhelvennin

Post by Major Isoor »

Alright thanks, I think I'll do that, after! (Don't have much time now, but yeah, will do!)
MsMary
The Gap Into Spam

Post by MsMary »

Hiya, Major! :wave:
"The Cheat is GROUNDED! We had that lightswitch installed for you so you could turn the lights on and off, not so you could throw lightswitch raves!"
- I'm always all right.
- Is all right special Time Lord code for really not all right at all?

- You're all irresponsible fools!
- The Doctor: But we're very experienced irresponsible fools.

THOOLAH member since 2005

EZBoard Survivor
Major Isoor
Woodhelvennin

Post by Major Isoor »

Well, I just went to the movies with some friends, and came back with The Real Story and Forbidden Knowledge in a two-in-one volume. (Those ARE the first and second Gap books, right?) I haven't really looked into the series too deeply - just enough to know that it's completely different to TCoTC - but I got it anyway, as hey, it's by SRD!

...Now all I need to do is work out if I'm going to order in The Last Chronicles and read them before or after ^these two^! :biggrin: (Any advice is appreciated - I can't get enough Covenant at the moment, but I'm also interested in reading the Gap books)
StevieG
Andelanian

Post by StevieG »

Depends how fast a reader you are - there are a few more gap books in the series so you'll need to follow on with these. Perhaps the Gap and then the last chronicles and it will then be closer to the release of the final chronicles book.
Hugs and sh!t ~ lucimay

I think you're right ~ TheFallen
Major Isoor
Woodhelvennin

Post by Major Isoor »

StevieG wrote:Depends how fast a reader you are - there are a few more gap books in the series so you'll need to follow on with these. Perhaps the Gap and then the last chronicles and it will then be closer to the release of the final chronicles book.
Hmm, true - I'd forgotten that the last TC book is out in a year. Did you think I should stagger it out like:

Second Chronicles (nearly finished the second book)
First two Gap books
Last Chronicles (up to unreleased book, naturally)
Rest of Gap books
Final Thomas Covenant book

Or should I read all the Gap books before starting TLC entirely? (although by the looks of it, I'll need to buy them online, as well as The Last Chronicles)

Thanks!
Iolanthe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Iolanthe »

Major, I just read all the Gap books for the first time, ordered them from Amazon, one at a time, except for the last two - mistake as 5 arrived before 4! :( I had already read all the Chronicles, several times, though. How long would it take you to get through the first three of the third Chronicles?

I couldn't alternate, my memory isn't good enough, but you are much younger so you may manage that. However, I would suggest read all the Gap, then go for the last Chronicles and you may be able to time it just right for the release of The Last Dark.

Enjoy. :lol:

Major Isoor
Woodhelvennin

Post by Major Isoor »

Iolanthe wrote:Major, I just read all the Gap books for the first time, ordered them from Amazon, one at a time, except for the last two - mistake as 5 arrived before 4! :( I had already read all the Chronicles, several times, though. How long would it take you to get through the first three of the third Chronicles?

I couldn't alternate, my memory isn't good enough, but you are much younger so you may manage that. However, I would suggest read all the Gap, then go for the last Chronicles and you may be able to time it just right for the release of The Last Dark.

Enjoy. :lol:
Ah, now that you ask, I'm not certain as to how long it's taken me thus far. I believe I started reading The Wounded Land late July (around the 20th as I recall. Possibly slightly earlier) and I've nearly finished The One Tree, so it's roughly a month a book, (wow it's taking me a good while, now that I think about it!) as I'm mostly reading for just an hour or so a day/night.

But yeah, my memory isn't always that fantastic, (I think I've inherited my mum's short-term memory, I'm afraid! :biggrin:) but with the way I've been enjoying TC, it should've all taken the fast route to my long-term memory, so I probably won't forget a lot, much like when I was reading the Dune trilogy. But yeah, that's a good point you two, since if I read the Last Chronicles later on, after the Gap, I'll hopefully finish it off not too far off The Last Dark's (I believe it was called? Could be wrong) release date, so it's not too suspenseful!
Iolanthe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Iolanthe »

Gosh, an hour a day? That's what I call real self control. I'm a "can't put it down when it gets exciting" type. I actually took 3 days off everything when Against All Things Ending came out and got through it in the time. :D

Frostheart Grueburn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Frostheart Grueburn »

Hmm...might be a good idea to read some Gap first, unless a nagging obsession after WGW mandates an instant plot continuum. Due to the huge time leap, the last chrons are rather different in terms of the writing style, and the last 2 or so volumes of Gap might aid with this transition.

Now, about this alliance... A Covenant of Mythical Borderlands? Sarge deems Oz is naught but a legend, and Avatar regards Nordics as non-human. So we're in the same longship...
Major Isoor
Woodhelvennin

Post by Major Isoor »

Iolanthe wrote:Gosh, an hour a day? That's what I call real self control. I'm a "can't put it down when it gets exciting" type. I actually took 3 days off everything when Against All Things Ending came out and got through it in the time. :D
Yeah, I know what you mean, there! I've cut myself off from society a few times in the past, when something I've been highly anticipated has just come out. :biggrin: Although these days I'm at TAFE (essentially a technical college, really) studying IT all week, and in the afternoons my friends generally want to play multiplayer video games on the PC, so these last couple of years have mainly just been in the late evening.

Heh, I remember pulling an all-nighter, reading a novel. The next day just did not go well... :lol: I'll probably do that when The Last Dark comes out, too! I just never learn, when it comes to choosing between reading a good book and sleeping!
Frostheart wrote:Hmm...might be a good idea to read some Gap first, unless a nagging obsession after WGW mandates an instant plot continuum. Due to the huge time leap, the last chrons are rather different in terms of the writing style, and the last 2 or so volumes of Gap might aid with this transition.
Ah, so there's another lengthy period of time between the Second and Last Chronicles, is there? I thought as much, but naturally couldn't be certain. Yeah, that'll probably be a good enough reason to have a break from the series to read some Gap, before coming back to TC - same with the changing writing style, as you mentioned. (So, how different is it, anyway? And in a solid-improvement way, or a it's-different-and-you-may-like-it-or-you-may-not kind of way?)
Frostheart wrote:Now, about this alliance... A Covenant of Mythical Borderlands? Sarge deems Oz is naught but a legend, and Avatar regards Nordics as non-human. So we're in the same longship...
Yes, I think we need to side up against these unbelievers (not to be mistaken for Unbelievers, naturally! :D) and naysayers, in order to even the odds, somewhat. We could even potentially start our own denial campaign against them, and deny their humanity and/or existance!
Iolanthe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Iolanthe »

Am I right in thinking that you still have to read the third of the second Chronicles? At an hour a day that may take some time. :D

I didn't even know that SRD had written the 3rd Chronicles until about 4 years ago. Luckiily I had just been given a book token so I was able to buy the first two straight away, then pre-ordered AATE. It wasn't difficult to get back into them again, and I had re-read the 1st and 2nd many times. I must have been in my 30s when I read the first Chrons, found the first book of the 2nd then had to wait for the other two to be published.

As someone who used to read under the bedclothes with a torch as a child, I know all about reading all night! But I couldn't do it now.

I don't think this is a spoiler, so, there are about 10 of our years between the 2nd and 3rd Chrons. I'll leave you to work out what that is in Land years.

Frostheart Grueburn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Frostheart Grueburn »

Major Isoor wrote: Ah, so there's another lengthy period of time between the Second and Last Chronicles, is there? -- (So, how different is it, anyway? And in a solid-improvement way, or a it's-different-and-you-may-like-it-or-you-may-not kind of way?)
Well, the fictional ten years and then about 20 in terms of actual writing. Unfortunately it drops into the you-may-like-it-or-not category, but I believe you'll mainly have to read and judge it for yourself. Must say I hated Runes, but folks brainwashed me to continue, and while Fatal Revenant turned out quite good, grew to love Against All Things Ending. Others may not share this opinion, but then again, several do.
Major Isoor wrote: Yes, I think we need to side up against these unbelievers (not to be mistaken for Unbelievers, naturally! :D) and naysayers, in order to even the odds, somewhat. We could even potentially start our own denial campaign against them, and deny their humanity and/or existance!
Well, then, Effy will probably gladly join us. While I possess a very clearly defined corporeal form of legendary persuasion, nobody remains quite ascertained as to what she actually is. Something that disrupts the normal rolling of the space-time continuum on this same time zone, in any case.

Aye, those puny humans are nothing but an illusion! The Jötnar gazed down the frosty cliffs of the North long ere the man-home even became shaped! Down with this propaganda that forces us ur-dwellers of the Earth to believe they actually rule it!
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Yeah, I'd say finish the 2nd Chrons, then read all the Gap books, (5). Then either read all the 3rd Chrons, or, if the last book isn't out, read Mordants Need. (2 books.) :D
Major Isoor wrote:...the Dune trilogy...
Uh, there are 6 Dune books. ;) (Not counting the prequels and sequels that are not to be discussed. :lol: )

--A
Major Isoor
Woodhelvennin

Post by Major Isoor »

Major Isoor wrote:...the Dune trilogy...
Uh, there are 6 Dune books. ;) (Not counting the prequels and sequels that are not to be discussed. :lol: )

--A
Wait, so you mean that there are other worthwhile Dune books?! Since I'd heard that the ones written after Frank Herbert wrote Dune, Children of Dune and Dune Messiah (written by his son, apparently) weren't all that fantastic, and therefore not worth potentially tarnishing my experience with the series, from what I've been told.

...So please, tell me which three you're referring to! I'll definitely keep on the lookout for them!

Post by Avatar »

Frank Herbert wrote another three...God Emperor of Dune, Heretics of Dune and Chapter House Dune.

Only 25 years later did his son co-write the 2 sequels and the prequels about the houses that completely ignore Dune canon.

God Emperor, is, in my opinion, the best, barring only the original Dune. It's set 4,000 years after Children.

--A
Major Isoor
Woodhelvennin

Post by Major Isoor »

Avatar wrote:Frank Herbert wrote another three...God Emperor of Dune, Heretics of Dune and Chapter House Dune.

Only 25 years later did his son co-write the 2 sequels and the prequels about the houses that completely ignore Dune canon.

God Emperor, is, in my opinion, the best, barring only the original Dune. It's set 4,000 years after Children.

--A
Hmm, alright then, I'll keep an eye out for those, for sure! In other news, I just finished The One Tree - I'll make a post in my other thread, so that this one stays spoiler-free, in case any other new readers stumble upon some undesirable facts!

Post by Avatar »

Do. :D

--A

Return to “The Summonsing”