Your decade

Who's listening to what, what's going on in the music industry....

Moderators: StevieG, dANdeLION, lucimay

Which is your decade?

Pre 60s
No votes
60s
10%
70s
35%
80s
25%
90s
15%
Post 2000
15%

Total votes: 20

StevieG
Andelanian

Your decade

Post by StevieG »

The emphasis is on "your" rather than "the".

Which decade of music is your favourite? Which has influenced your life musical tastes? When you have a party, which decade features the most?

I was surprised by my choice - I assumed it was the 70s, but at my recent 40th party I found that my playlist was 90% 90s music. To me, it seemed like an unusual choice, but thinking about it, it was when I was at Uni, starting work, no kids, more time etc etc.

What's yours? :D
Hugs and sh!t ~ lucimay

I think you're right ~ TheFallen
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

Oh gosh, can I break it up?

I would say 1967 until disco hit, although there were a few groups in the late 1970's I still listen to, just not disco. Except Santa Esmeralda. I'll still get up and move to Santa Esmeralda...

And then whenever it was that New Age was more popular. I still like progressive, ambient, trance.etc., so putting a label on a particular decade would be hard.
Iolanthe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Iolanthe »

Has to be the 60s, my teenage years. Wonderful time when everything started happening. The first discos complete with mirror balls on the ceiling and psycadelic bubbles projected onto the walls; pirate radio stations (Caroline was best); Beatles, Beach Boys, Who, Gene Pitney, Moody Blues , oh so many I could rattle off. The Days of Future Past album by the Moodys was a biggie for me (1967), and I saw them live in Southampton in about 1972. It always surprises me that when a rare 60s song is played on the radio now I can still remember all the words, even if I have to sing them an octave lower!

The 60s were so special because I can remember the years before when everything I listened to was regulated by my parents; I heard no earlier popular music and couldn't have afforded to buy records anyway. The first single I bought was Money Can't Buy me Love and the first LP was With the Beatles (mono of course).

I have a very clear memory of going into a cafe with my parents and other relatives whilst we were on holiday somewhere in the 50s. There was a juke box and a group of leather jacketed lads came in and put on a record. It was "Catch a Falling Star". My great aunt was outraged as they hadn't asked if we minded before they put the record on. I suppose that sums up the attitude of the adults around me in the 50s.
I am playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order!

"I must state plainly, Linden, that you have become wondrous in my sight."
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

It's close, but I'd have to give the edge to the 80s.
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

1975-1985.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
Lefdmae Deemalr Effaeldm
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Lefdmae Deemalr Effaeldm »

So, what am I supposed to chose if I can happily listen to music aged approximately from The Beatles to Dethklok?

Io, can you just imagine what the attitude could be if something like this could be turned on in a situation like what you describe?) www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPg63uxYwN0 www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXWaVz4yogI
A role-player, beware
Iolanthe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Iolanthe »

Effaeldm wrote:Io, can you just imagine what the attitude could be if something like this could be turned on in a situation like what you describe?) www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPg63uxYwN0 www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXWaVz4yogI
Well, I've become my great aunt! They were awful. I would probably leave. I actually stayed out of the lving room at my son's once for over an hour as my daughter in law had some awful television programme on - somebody Kyle I think.
Last edited by Iolanthe on Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Frostheart Grueburn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Frostheart Grueburn »

Definitely post-2000, unless one counts soundtracks and late 19th/early 20th century classical pieces. Best era of metal ever, especially the huge Fennoscandian Viking/folk scene.
Lefdmae Deemalr Effaeldm
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Lefdmae Deemalr Effaeldm »

Io, well, you didn't tell me I shouldn't listen to it, that's already a good sign) Tastes may differ anyway, I know many absolutely up-to-date with new music people who specifically can't stand, for instance, rap, or punk, or any metal styles with growling, or any non-musical sounds in the songs. May I ask, how about these? www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhduQhDqtb4 www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDIGzzeQjaE

Frosty, I usually don't tend to remember the exact dates of the albums, but I'm pretty sure there was quite some amount of good metal before the 2000s, I can try to look up.
A role-player, beware
Frostheart Grueburn
The Gap Into Spam

Yeah, well, some emerge from the very late 90s...Windir, Blind Guardian's Nightfall in Middle-Earth, Nightwish's earliest albums, thinking Finntroll's Midnattens Widunder must've been published before 2000, ex-Rhapsody, oh and Amorphis... Perkele, now that I begin to think about it, names pop up in hordes. :P

Well, maybe I'll correct this to mid-nineties to post-2000 due to peer pressure. ;)

ETA: oh, there's a small convo about metal going on...well, while my mom (63) cannot stand the growly cookie monster variants, she doesn't mind gothic/symphonic metal. In fact, I think she likes the post-Tarja Turunen Nightwish. Which sounds more akin to Epica these days.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=6LtqqOc2REw
www.youtube.com/watch?v=fV2C9_MAJ0E

And Amberian Dawn has progressed to replace Turunen's more operatic style, I guess.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBe3JoVlHQI
Last edited by Frostheart Grueburn on Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
Iolanthe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Iolanthe »

Effaeldm wrote:Io, well, you didn't tell me I shouldn't listen to it, that's already a good sign) Tastes may differ anyway, I know many absolutely up-to-date with new music people who specifically can't stand, for instance, rap, or punk, or any metal styles with growling, or any non-musical sounds in the songs. May I ask, how about these? www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhduQhDqtb4 www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDIGzzeQjaE
Hmmm. First one wasn't too bad, but the poor chap sounded as if he had whooping cough every time he breathed!

If I could choose 2 decades, the second would be the 70s, because of Queen. Freddie's voice was amazing, and their harmonies were wonderful. I've told everyone I want this played at my funeral (not the video of course). www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Jtpf8N5IDE

Frostheart Grueburn
The Gap Into Spam

Iolanthe wrote:
Effaeldm wrote:Io, well, you didn't tell me I shouldn't listen to it, that's already a good sign) Tastes may differ anyway, I know many absolutely up-to-date with new music people who specifically can't stand, for instance, rap, or punk, or any metal styles with growling, or any non-musical sounds in the songs. May I ask, how about these? www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhduQhDqtb4 www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDIGzzeQjaE
Hmmm. First one wasn't too bad, but the poor chap sounded as if he had whooping cough every time he breathed!
:lol: See my links above. Metal comes in all flavors, this time Gothic/operatic.
sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Post by sgt.null »

all of the above. depends on my mood for the day.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
Iolanthe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Iolanthe »

Frostheart wrote::lol: See my links above. Metal comes in all flavors, this time Gothic/operatic.
Frosty, those I can live with. I loved the whole sound - perhaps that is akin to my liking for Queen and Days of Future Past, oh and ELO. The first one made me think of Greig's Wedding Day at Troldhaugen for some reason. The second one has a very Irish feel in places.

Frostheart Grueburn
The Gap Into Spam

Frostheart wrote: ...well, while my mom (63) cannot stand the growly cookie monster variants, she doesn't mind gothic/symphonic metal.
Damn, forgot that she actually LIKES some growly-ish stuff. But Korpiklaani often composes their Kalevala/Finnish mythology themed songs into the ancient Finnish alliterative verse or makes covers of 100+ year old folk songs. I guess you must be Finnish, or close to it, to understand this genre in the first place. ;)

youtu.be/4v0tEfwW-nU
www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhZpmFORHBA
StevieG
Andelanian

Post by StevieG »

Menolly, and all others who haven't chosen - pick a decade! :lol:

There are influences in all decades - too many to list, but when it comes down to it, for the fun of it if for no other reason, pick a decade! 80s were close for me - some of my favourite bands dominated the 80s. Some of my favourite bands dominated the 70s too.

Pick a decade! You can do it!

Edited to add: Kudos to Iolanthe for the great explanation of why the 60s were her decade.
Hugs and sh!t ~ lucimay

I think you're right ~ TheFallen
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

Without a doubt, the 90s. Sure, the 80s have the best of Metallica as well as Nine Inch Nails' Pretty Hate Machine, but I didn't start listening to them until about '93. And since I'm a fan of Metallica's stuff up until St. Anger and Downward Spiral was almost as good... Sure, I have a fondness for the music of my early childhood—Bon Jovi, AC/DC, Def Leppard, Billy Idol, Van Halen. Hell, even Poison (edited to add GnR, though the Illusions surely deserve more praise than Appetite for Destruction)). But that's really more about good memories than good music.

A friend of mine, Barker, once told me I'm stuck in the 90s. I'd say that's pretty accurate. I'm a child of grunge and post-grunge, the era in which I found music, and if you ask me, in which music briefly rediscovered itself. Alice in Chains, man. Enough said. No? Then I'd add Tool (Headbangers Ball with Ricky Rachtman \m/), the Toadies, Zombies White and Rob, Tool, Nirvana (Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, STP for those so inclined), Clutch, Korn before they sucked, and Tool. And perhaps most importantly - Kyuss (see also: John Garcia). The band that would bring in Queens of the Stone Age, Hermano, Unida, Dozer, and the entire freaking genre of "stoner" rock. Sure, most of these (especially Truckfighters, my personal favorite band of all time) wouldn't come around until the Aughts, but the sound is rooted in the 90s (OK, and 70s Black Sabbath and associated bands, but still...).

The early Aughts started out alright, but the tarnish had already started to fade. Nu Metal. Rap rock. The nauseating churn pretending to be 'alternative.' These days, I hear songs and the radio that, while better than most of the new stuff I hear these days, still makes me think, "I never thought I'd be hearing this song 10 years later." Case in point - Alien Ant Farm's cover of Smooth Criminal. WTH? And I'm constantly amazed that people take Green Day and The Offspring seriously.
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
Vader
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vader »

I voted 70s only because it was KISS that turned me into a music addict.

Apart from that I listen to music from all decades.

I don't listen to:

• hip hop / rap
• house / techno /dancefloor and such
• free jazz
• R&B
• Disco Music
• power ballards
• hair metal
• panpipe bands (because of my guinea pigs)
• chart music since 1985
• radio music
• songs not in English (I hate songs in German. It sounds stupid.)

Shall I go on?
Functionless art is vandalism. I am the vandal.
Iolanthe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Iolanthe »

Vader wrote:• panpipe bands (because of my guinea pigs)
Why don't guinea pigs like panpipe bands? We kept guinea pigs when I was a child, but they lived outside. My gerbil (Sebastian) didn't seem to mind what music I played. :D

Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

Yea, I stole Vader's method, and picked 70's cuz that was the beginning [though it really more overlaps like Cail's...mid 70-80's.] But I listen to all periods...though I tend to avoid some styles...most country, almost all "pop," for instance.
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.

Return to “Vespers”