Best albums/cds of 2012

Who's listening to what, what's going on in the music industry....

Moderators: StevieG, dANdeLION, lucimay

Endymion9
<i>Haruchai</i>

Best albums/cds of 2012

Post by Endymion9 »

This is the early draft. Will add/adjust in December.

1. Of Monsters and Men - My Head is an Animal

2. Alanis Morrisette - havoc and bright lights

3. Ingrid Michaelson - Human Again

4. Aimee Mann - Charmer

5. Various - The Hunger Games (soundtrack)

6. Haley Reinhart - Listen Up!

7. Norah Jones - Little Broken Hearts

8. John Mayer - Born and Raised

9. Imagine Dragons - Continued Silence EP

10. The Glorious Unseen - Lovesick

11. Jack White - Blunderbuss

12. Matchbox Twenty - North

13. Various - The Chimes of Freedom (songs of Bob Dylan)

14. Rick Springfield - Songs for the End of the World

15. Dave Matthews Band - Away From the World
~I was born to rock the boat. Some will sink but we will float. Grab your coat. Let's get out of here. You're my witness. I'm your Mutineer~ - Warren Zevon
sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Post by sgt.null »

bob mould - silver age

some songs from the album
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
dANdeLION
Lord

Post by dANdeLION »

I didn't know Alanis had a new cd out!

Anyway, I'll have to say Clockwork Angels by Rush, as I think it's the only new cd I've bought this year.

My son got the new Van Halen and Aerosmith cd's, and the both had some great stuff on them. Also, I heard an awesome track off of the new Beach Boy's cd.
Dandelion don't tell no lies
Dandelion will make you wise
Tell me if she laughs or cries
Blow away dandelion

I'm afraid there's no denying
I'm just a dandelion
a fate I don't deserve.

High priest of THOOOTP

:hobbes: *

* This post carries Jay's seal of approval
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

I only bought two new albums this year; Clockwork Angels and A Different Kind of Truth. They're both excellent, with CA being one of the best albums I've ever heard.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
dANdeLION
Lord

Post by dANdeLION »

I just got the latest Marillion cd. I haven't listened to it yet, but seeing as how it's only the 2nd 2012 cd I've bought so far, I guess that automatically puts it in my top ten. :biggrin:
Blow away dandelion

I'm just a dandelion
a fate I don't deserve.

High priest of THOOOTP

Endymion9
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Endymion9 »

Just got The Killers, Battle Born. On first couple of listens it will probably easily make it at least as high as 11 on my list at the end of the year.
~I was born to rock the boat. Some will sink but we will float. Grab your coat. Let's get out of here. You're my witness. I'm your Mutineer~ - Warren Zevon
sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Post by sgt.null »

the biggest thing for me is Bob Mould re-releasing his Sugar albums with bonus material. and one of his past solo albums as well.

I've only picked up Copper Blue so far, but it outstanding. the original album remastered, the b-sides collected and a live disc that is stunning.

can't wait to get the others.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

According to Guitar World:

10. Green Day — ¡Uno!
09. Meshuggah — Koloss
08. Jack White — Blunderbuss
07. Gary Clark Jr. — Blak and Blu
06. Soundgarden — King Animal
05. Neil Young & Crazy Horse — Psychedelic Pill
04. ZZ Top — La Futura
03. Periphery — Periphery II
02. Rush — Clockwork Angels
01. Van Halen -- A Different Kind of Truth

Obviously, I'm a diehard Rush fan. It's my favorite band. But part of me wants to agree with this, merely because ADKoT is so damn listenable, and such an historical return for a once mighty band. In fact, I think their latest album is one of the best Roth VH albums. While I can also say that for Rush's CA, Rush has so many damn good albums, that it's a crowded list up at the top. So while they performed a similar feat of putting out their best album in decades, I think that VH's return to form is more important to me, personally. My 14-yr-old self is a happy boy.

The article is a pretty good read.
Joe Biden … putting the Dem in dementia since (at least) 2020.
Endymion9
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Endymion9 »

My last update for the year.

Lana Del Rey - Born to Die
Lana Del Rey - Paradise
Of Monsters and Men - My Head is an Animal
Ingrid Michaelson - Human Again
The Killers - Battle Born
Alanis Morrisette - havoc and bright lights
Aimee Mann - Charmer
Various - The Hunger Games (soundtrack)
Haley Reinhart - Listen Up!
Norah Jones - Little Broken Hearts
The Glorious Unseen - Lovesick
Matchbox Twenty - North
Jack White - Blunderbuss
Rick Springfield - Songs for the End of the World
Various - The Chimes of Freedom (songs of Bob Dylan)
Taylor Swift - Red
Imagine Dragons - Continued Silence EP
Brandi Carlisle - Bear Creek
Counting Crows - Underwater Sunshine
A Fine Frenzy - Pines
John Mayer - Born and Raised
Mumford & Sons - Babel
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

Do live albums count? Led Zeppelin's Celebration Day is a fantastic recording of a concert they performed in 2007. The Blu-ray version is especially good in both sound and picture quality (though I'd go with the stereo PCM mix, not the surround). They performed very lively versions of their classic hits, with all three surviving members (and Bonham's son) showing that they still have full command of their musical talents. Plant in particular was quite surprising in his ability to belt out rock goodness. For a man in his late 60s, it's amazing how vibrant and rich his voice still is.
Joe Biden … putting the Dem in dementia since (at least) 2020.
Endymion9
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Endymion9 »

Zarathustra,
Live sounds good to me. I'll have to look for that one. Enjoyed the Heart homage to Stairway to Heaven at the Kennedy Honors, with Bonham's son on drums and Plant, Page and Jones in attendance.

EDIT: they have it in my local library system so have a hold on it. Thanks for the rec.
Sorus
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Sorus »

I think I only bought 3 albums this year:

Clockwork Angels - Rush (excellent)
Ancient World - Abney Park (excellent)
Stars Pulled Down - Unextraordinary Gentlemen (Had some really good tracks, but I'm going to be brutal and say they should've cut the filler and released it as another EP.)

Oh, a change is coming, feel these doors now closing
Is there no world for tomorrow, if we wait for today?

Frostheart Grueburn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Frostheart Grueburn »

Well. I don't except people to recognize anything save for one here, so I don't know why I'm writing it.

Excellent:
Wintersun: Time I (Much anticipated and just as epic. --> Go listen to it, helvetti. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLERG8A-FSo )
Oakenshield: Legacy
Nightwish: Imaginaerum - The Score
Korpiklaani: Manala (an improvement over the last two albums, which seemed going downhill with the endless drinking songs)
Hobbit Soundtrack

Okay:
Árstíðir Lífsins: Vápna lækjar eldr
Beer Bear: За Незримой Чертой
Ensiferum: Unsung Heroes (much awaited, performed a great live show here with Brymir, started strong, yet slumped in the middle)
Skálmöld: Börn Loka

And the live album: Metsatöll: Tuska
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

Zarathustra wrote:Do live albums count? Led Zeppelin's Celebration Day is a fantastic recording of a concert they performed in 2007. The Blu-ray version is especially good in both sound and picture quality (though I'd go with the stereo PCM mix, not the surround). They performed very lively versions of their classic hits, with all three surviving members (and Bonham's son) showing that they still have full command of their musical talents. Plant in particular was quite surprising in his ability to belt out rock goodness. For a man in his late 60s, it's amazing how vibrant and rich his voice still is.
Not bad for a bunch of old men.

But it just fuels my annoyance that they pissed away 27 years. Bonham was a big part of who they were, but he certainly could have been replaced.

Had The Who called it quits after Moon killed himself, we never would have gotten "You Better You Bet" or "Eminence Front".
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
dANdeLION
Lord

Post by dANdeLION »

Speaking of live stuff, Supertramp finally released "Paris" on dvd/blu-ray. I've always liked them, and Breakfast is one of all-time my favorite cd's, so I'm kind of stoked to be getting this.
Blow away dandelion

I'm just a dandelion
a fate I don't deserve.

High priest of THOOOTP

Return to “Vespers”