I'm a newbie

Hey Newbies, over here first ;) Come on in and tell us more about yourself. IMPORTANT: For new members, please read "New Members Only" BEFORE registering.

Moderators: Savor Dam, Menolly

TCOTCfan
Servant of the Land

I'm a newbie

Post by TCOTCfan »

Hello everyone, I've been a fan since about 1980, I remember waiting for the 2nd series as they were published. I read them again around 1990 and 2000. I just found out that there was a final series about 3 months ago, man! what a present that was, and after reading the series for a 4th time, I am now reading "AATE" I must say this one has been a hard read, I really can't explain why (but sometimes I feel like he's effing with my head), but I was relieved to see that it was the hardest for SRD to write :) So, I'll take a look around the site to feel out the rules etc..

So hello to all the fans of a series I consider THE BEST.

Peace
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Welcome, TCOTCfan.

Based on your name, I can see your a big fan of the Twin Cities Obedience Training Club. :)

You're certainly in the right place to mingle with like-minded individuals. However, watch out for those who think Stephen Donaldson's Gap series is even better...
Frostheart Grueburn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Frostheart Grueburn »

Tere tulemast!

AATE has certainly proven arduous: me and the Ironhand almost getting devoured by a gibbering bane from the bowels of the earth, running aimlessly for leagues till the stone soles of our boots began crumbling, the mere eight of us confronting a sea of rabid Cavewights and other unnamed, cyclopean horrors; skurj, tentacle monsters...what next? Foul prancing forth from behind the nearmost bush and shouting 'boo'?
Iolanthe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Iolanthe »

Hello TCOTCfan. :wave:
I am playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order!

"I must state plainly, Linden, that you have become wondrous in my sight."
TCOTCfan
Servant of the Land

Post by TCOTCfan »

Thanks for the welcome. I have read the two? Mordant stories which I thought were good at the time I read them ( 1990 or so) I have not read the Gap series yet and will once I finish AATE. One thing I love about the Covenant series can also be a PITA. Which if there is an extremely difficult if not THE most difficult way of doing something, well, that's the way Thomas or Linden will choose ;)

Your welcome honors me
Lord Foul
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Lord Foul »

Greetings, TCOTCfan.

Unlike certain Giantesses, I found AATE most relaxing and entertaining - with me just doing nothing but watching everyone do my work. And most certainly I do have more surprises, though shouting 'boo' hardly works even as a simplification. Image
I have many names... and may play many roles

So that it's clear: I'm not the Lord Foul who was on the Watch before, from 26.10.2002 to 16.06.2012
Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Post by Savor Dam »

Welcome to the Watch, TCOTCfan!

May you thrive here...and contribute.
Love prevails.
~ Tracie Mckinney-Hammon

Change is not a process for the impatient.
~ Barbara Reinhold

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul, can always count on the support of Paul.
~ George Bernard Shaw
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

Be Welcome to the Watch, TCOTCfan.
Be Well Come and True.

Keep your eyes on the General SRD Discussion forum. We have several Watchers from the DC area, and if a mini-fest (gathering of members) should happen there, that's the forum where the planning would take place.

Explore, look around, and post. There's a lot more to the Watch than TCTC and other SRD related topics.
Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Post by Savor Dam »

Menolly wrote:We have several Watchers from the DC area
Indeed. There are many Watchers in that area, including some rather prominent and prolific posters from several of the fora of the Watch.

Not only that, but there is another long-time Watcher from the West Coast who is in the process of relocating to the greater Capital metropolis.

It has been a busy year for several Watchers changing their locations. I am sure that this probably-last relocation of 2012 will fare as well and bring as much bliss as have the previous changes of circumstance.

L'chaim!
Love prevails.
~ Tracie Mckinney-Hammon

Change is not a process for the impatient.
~ Barbara Reinhold

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul, can always count on the support of Paul.
~ George Bernard Shaw
Frostheart Grueburn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Frostheart Grueburn »

Image <-- This is very cute. Like a radioactive Angry Bird. Does it bounce like a rubber ball if one throws it against a wall? :biggrin:
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

Oh good, somebody else to lasso into DC Fest planning... :twisted: Welcome, TCOTCfan! (And I hope we haven't scared you away yet. :lol: )

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

https://www.hearth-myth.com/
TCOTCfan
Servant of the Land

Post by TCOTCfan »

DC fest sounds fun 8) I would love to be able to talk about these books, I've turned them on to two friends of mine, but I can't talk about them as they are early in the series and I don't want to inadvertently spoil anything

peace
Shaun das Schaf
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Shaun das Schaf »

Hello and welcome TCOTCfan :-)
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Welcome to the Watch. :D Much as I love the Chrons and MN, I do think the Gap series is his best work. You can definitely look forward to it, brutal and uncompromising as it is.

Look around, join in, have fun. :D

--A
Fireflii
Servant of the Land

Post by Fireflii »

Hi TCOTCFan!

You sound so much like me! Starting reading them in the 80s and reread and reread these books. They brought me through some troubled times by being able to slip away into the Land and see that even troubled people can do great things.

Welcome to newbiehood with me!
sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Post by sgt.null »

hi TCOTCfan
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...

Return to “The Summonsing”