New Here

A place to discuss the books in the FC and SC. *Please Note* No LC spoilers allowed in this forum. Do so in the forum below.

Moderators: kevinswatch, Orlion

Mudge

New Here

Post by Mudge »

Hi I'm a new poster here. I have read Lord of the Rings and am a fan of Terry Brook's as well. Several people have recommended I try Donaldson's books, but I haven't yet. I was wondering if anyone would let me know what is special about Stephen Donaldson's books.

Thanks,
Mudge
dANdeLION
Lord

Post by dANdeLION »

The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant are tons better than Shanarra, and are comprable to Tolkein. What makes Donaldson unique is the type of characters he uses as his main protagonist. Thomas Covenant is quite different than Frodo, but still manages to be the person he needs himself to be in the end. I would read the books before getting too deeply into the discussions on this list, unless you want to know the whole story before you read it! :D
Dandelion don't tell no lies
Dandelion will make you wise
Tell me if she laughs or cries
Blow away dandelion

I'm afraid there's no denying
I'm just a dandelion
a fate I don't deserve.

High priest of THOOOTP

:hobbes: *

* This post carries Jay's seal of approval
hierachy
Lord

Post by hierachy »

two words: The land. If for nothing else, read TC for the land.
Landwaster
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Landwaster »

Its the character dishevelment.
Do you think I like being this dangerous?
Fangthane the Render
Ramen

Post by Fangthane the Render »

:twisted: It's obvious, read the books! :)
"You Cannot Hope"
theDespiser
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by theDespiser »

the Shanarra books are killer books, as are SRD's, as are Tolkien's, as are Jordan's, and so on and so forth...all good series'...just so happens TCTC are my fave...

just wanted to say that
Think on that, and be dismayed

What do you do to a man who has lost everything?

Give him back something broken
variol son
The Gap Into Spam

Post by variol son »

The thing about SRD is that most of his key characters (maybe with the exception of Geraden) aren't really particularly heroic in the established sense. Also, you get to ride around inside the head of the key players. It is the personal experiences and thoughts of his characters that SRD uses to make his works so cool.

Sum sui generis
Vs
You do not hear, and so you cannot be redeemed.

In the name of their ancient pride and humiliation, they had made commitments with no possible outcome except bereavement.

He knew only that they had never striven to reject the boundaries of themselves.
Furls Fire
Lord

Post by Furls Fire »

For me, what sets the Chrons apart from those others is the way Donaldson makes a "hero" out of someone so completely unlikable as Thomas Covenant. You will hate him at first, Mudge. But, in the end you will be crying over him. I ended up loving him, understanding him, pitying him (of course that would send him into a rage). I don't want to spoil the story for you. Just know, this isn't a light hearted romp thru fairyland. It's hard, it's deep, it's heartbreaking at times, but it is also filled with such beauty and joy, that your heart will sing as you drink in the words. Donaldson is a genius. No word is wasted, no event unnecessary, and there is no pause to the pace. It's as epic as epic fantasy can get..and then some. :)

Oh, and it has GIANTS!! "Joy is in the ears that hear."

:)
And I believe in you
altho you never asked me too
I will remember you
and what life put you thru.

~fly fly little wing, fly where only angels sing~

~this world was never meant for one as beautiful as you~

...for then I could fly away and be at rest. Sweet rest, Mom. We all love and miss you.

Image Image
Damelon
Lord

Post by Damelon »

If you can get through the first few chapters of Lord Foul's Bane, you'll be hooked.
Blue_Spawn
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Blue_Spawn »

Don't read them.
They totaly suck!

J/K!

--Of the part of the series that I have read so far, I was especially intruiged by the psychological and more serious notions of life that I did not find in LOTR.
Landwaster
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Landwaster »

Blue Spawn does have a valid reason that causes her to question the books, though. There is some very heady material within, and it almost feels dirty to follow the exploits of the "hero".

It's a challenge in its own way.
Do you think I like being this dangerous?
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

Blue_Spawn wrote:Don't read them.
They totaly suck!
J/K!

--Of the part of the series that I have read so far, I was especially intruiged by the psychological and more serious notions of life that I did not find in LOTR.
You had me there for a moment, BS. Yes, the books are amazing. I love them. My favourite fantasy books.
Waddley wrote:your Highness Sir Dr. Loredoctor, PhD, Esq, the Magnificent, First of his name, Second Cousin of Dragons, White-Gold-Plate Wielder!
variol son
The Gap Into Spam

Post by variol son »

Blue_Spawn wrote:Of the part of the series that I have read so far, I was especially intruiged by the psychological and more serious notions of life that I did not find in LOTR.
Exactly what I was quite inexpertly try9ing to say. You rock my world Blue.

Sum sui generis
Vs
You do not hear, and so you cannot be redeemed.

In the name of their ancient pride and humiliation, they had made commitments with no possible outcome except bereavement.

He knew only that they had never striven to reject the boundaries of themselves.
DukkhaWaynhim
The Gap Into Spam

Post by DukkhaWaynhim »

To me, the biggest differences between Brooks and SRD are in writing style and the emotional impact of the story.

The Shannara series is very well-crafted, and provides a very entertaining read for those interested in the Fantasy genre. Brooks is a great author, and I have enjoyed all the Shannara books BUT no author has made me care about the characters or a fantasy world as much as SRD.

Writing style wise, Brooks tends to be spare with his descriptions, and I even noticed he seems to make a point of using short main-character names to save space. He uses dialogue to get most of his bigger points across. This works for Shannara.

SRD uses large words (have a dictionary/thesaurus handy) and tends to wax long on getting the point across.

This really pays off if you are the kind of reader that imagines the pictures in your head as you read. In those terms, Brooks is a skilled photographer, and SRD is a master painter.

Just my :2c:

DukkhaWaynhim
[Weird and Proud of It]
"God is real, unless declared integer." - Unknown
AMOK
Stonedownor

Post by AMOK »

There are many things that hooked me on this series. SRD is such an excellent writer. The mythology and the magic are so rich and original. Original, I say? 8O There are a lot of basic story elements and themes that every story teller draws from - thats why some feel that SRD "borrowed" from Tolkien - at least that's my opinion. Hmmm, that might be a good discussion topic...

I really got into the emotion of the characters - it was quite painful at times. I don't know if you have ever tried to describe a place for someone but SRD does such a masterful job of describing the land. I want to go there. The story pace never slows - I find myself reading like a mad man to get to the end then wishing it wouldn't have ended.

I highly recommend the story. Jeesh, it's been about 5 years since I read them - maybe more.... If you do it now, you will be ripe for the 3rd Chronicles coming out in a year or so.
But hear then, for good or ill. I fulfill the law of my creation. My maker can require no more of me.
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

Someone once called Terry Brooks' Sword of Shannarra, a 'War Crime of a novel'.
Waddley wrote:your Highness Sir Dr. Loredoctor, PhD, Esq, the Magnificent, First of his name, Second Cousin of Dragons, White-Gold-Plate Wielder!

Return to “The First and Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant”