The Last Dark Release Date

Book 4 of the Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant

Moderators: Savor Dam, High Lord Tolkien, ussusimiel

Mr.Land
Woodhelvennin

The Last Dark Release Date

Post by Mr.Land »

I'm getting a bit worried that Donaldson's second draft is taking a bit longer than expected. Usually we've heard an update by this time. Might we see The Last Dark in 2014 instead? I hope not.
Something there is in beauty.
DWOLF
Stonedownor

Post by DWOLF »

Chill out.
Krazy Kat
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Krazy Kat »

In one of the dedications of the last chronicles, SRD say something like - for my son, who I am well pleased.

Do you think this could mean that Ross Donaldson is to be a writer like his father. Following the grand tradition like, Christopher Tolkien, Brian Herbert, etc etc etc
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

Krazy Kat wrote:In one of the dedications of the last chronicles, SRD say something like - for my son, who I am well pleased.

Do you think this could mean that Ross Donaldson is to be a writer like his father. Following the grand tradition like, Christopher Tolkien, Brian Herbert, etc etc etc
That would be terrible if he also followed the tradition of completely sucking compared to the elder.

But on-topic...the silence is becoming deafening on the rewrite.
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

Vraith wrote: But on-topic...the silence is becoming deafening on the rewrite.[/color]
Indeed.
SkurjMaster
<i>Elohim</i>

Pub date for TLD

Post by SkurjMaster »

I am starting to get concerned as well. I keep thinking that we had a downloadable PDF of Chapter 1 by this stage with AATE.

Anxious!!!!!!!!!!!!
blossom
Servant of the Land

Post by blossom »

I'm getting so old, and now I'm worried that I might pop my clogs before LTD is released. If that happens, there will be some serious haunting!
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

Eh, wouldn't bother me. I'm still not finished with TWL yet. I could use the extra time, especially if it makes the book better! This is the last one, folks. It all comes down to this. I'd give him a few more years of my patience if it redeemed the Last Chronicles.
Joe Biden … putting the Dem in dementia since (at least) 2020.
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

Zarathustra wrote:Eh, wouldn't bother me. I'm still not finished with TWL yet. I could use the extra time, especially if it makes the book better! This is the last one, folks. It all comes down to this. I'd give him a few more years of my patience if it redeemed the Last Chronicles.
Obviously I like the LC's more than you do, we've gone around about that once or twice.... ;)

I'm not sure I'd go for a few more years...but whether one loves or hates or is waiting to decide, one has to admit that
A) There are a LOT of important threads that have to be tied and knotted off [even a couple that have been dangling around since the 1st C's, intentionally or not]
B) Unlike some works, there isn't a satisfactory way of resolving them as individual sub-plots. In some way they have to ALL contribute in significant and obvious ways to the final confrontation and resolution. He has written it that way.
Those taken into account, it would be long hard to finish something like this even if one just wanted it to be OVER and didn't CARE if it sucked.

But man, I'd just like a whisper of progress, "Maybe late." "Doing great, but BUSY," "Breaking my contract with publisher cuz we couldn't agree, kicked h/im/er in the head but felt guilty cuz of my training. Caretaking in my home until better. Releasing Last Dark self-published on Amazon in 2015."
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
Dread Poet Jethro
My quill pen is mightier Than the sword you drop

Post by Dread Poet Jethro »

Vraith, postulating What SRD might provide As an excuse, wrote:Releasing Last Dark
self-published on Amazon
in 2015.
This would certainly
Kindle some controversy
Were he to do it
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

Zarathustra wrote:Eh, wouldn't bother me. I'm still not finished with TWL yet. I could use the extra time, especially if it makes the book better! This is the last one, folks. It all comes down to this. I'd give him a few more years of my patience if it redeemed the Last Chronicles.
A few more years? Hell no....
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

It was about 6 months between when News posted "completed first rewrite" and "delivered" for AATE. It's been 7 months so far on this one. Given that the last one is surely the hardest to finish (and so giving rise to the end of the GI) I am not worried quite yet. It seems to be ahead of schedule as compared to FR, so I don't see a problem with meeting the release date, either. SRD has evidently gone into recluse-mode (and so also giving rise to the end of the GI) and we're not getting updates -- it doesn't mean there are no updates.

Then again, SRD may have been kidnapped by a swarthy space pirate and is even now saving the Earth while learning important things about being human. If so, it would be silly to bother him.
MsMary
The Gap Into Spam

Post by MsMary »

So no one has news yet on when it will be out exactly.

Patiently waiting over here. ;)
"The Cheat is GROUNDED! We had that lightswitch installed for you so you could turn the lights on and off, not so you could throw lightswitch raves!"
- I'm always all right.
- Is all right special Time Lord code for really not all right at all?

- You're all irresponsible fools!
- The Doctor: But we're very experienced irresponsible fools.

THOOLAH member since 2005

EZBoard Survivor
Mr.Land
Woodhelvennin

Post by Mr.Land »

Probably old news, and of questionable accuracy, but Amazon.uk lists The Last Dark as having a publication date of Oct. 17, 2013.
Something there is in beauty.
Seareach
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Seareach »

wayfriend wrote:It was about 6 months between when News posted "completed first rewrite" and "delivered" for AATE. It's been 7 months so far on this one. Given that the last one is surely the hardest to finish (and so giving rise to the end of the GI) I am not worried quite yet. It seems to be ahead of schedule as compared to FR, so I don't see a problem with meeting the release date, either. SRD has evidently gone into recluse-mode (and so also giving rise to the end of the GI) and we're not getting updates -- it doesn't mean there are no updates.

Then again, SRD may have been kidnapped by a swarthy space pirate and is even now saving the Earth while learning important things about being human. If so, it would be silly to bother him.
Makes perfect sense to me.
MsMary
The Gap Into Spam

Post by MsMary »

Seareach wrote:
wayfriend wrote:It was about 6 months between when News posted "completed first rewrite" and "delivered" for AATE. It's been 7 months so far on this one. Given that the last one is surely the hardest to finish (and so giving rise to the end of the GI) I am not worried quite yet. It seems to be ahead of schedule as compared to FR, so I don't see a problem with meeting the release date, either. SRD has evidently gone into recluse-mode (and so also giving rise to the end of the GI) and we're not getting updates -- it doesn't mean there are no updates.

*snicker*
:lol:
"The Cheat is GROUNDED! We had that lightswitch installed for you so you could turn the lights on and off, not so you could throw lightswitch raves!"
- I'm always all right.

EZBoard Survivor
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

Seareach wrote:

Anything might make sense to someone who has READ THE FRIGGIN' BOOK!
MsMary
The Gap Into Spam

Post by MsMary »

True enough, true enough.
- I'm always all right.

EZBoard Survivor
Seareach
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Seareach »

dlb...be nice! ;)

It makes sense to me that a book like this (being the last one in not only the Last Chronicles but the entire Chronicles series) might take a little longer to complete/polish to the point of it being sent to editors. I doubt that means that publication will be delayed, only that getting it to a stage where it's submitted to editors and the following D&A might take a little longer.
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Oh. I thought you meant the space pirate thing made sense.

Return to “The Last Dark”