Hello Everyone

Hey Newbies, over here first ;) Come on in and tell us more about yourself. IMPORTANT: For new members, please read "New Members Only" BEFORE registering.

Moderators: Savor Dam, Menolly

Queen Christine
Stonedownor

Hello Everyone

Post by Queen Christine »

Hello members of Kevin's Watch!

I am most definitely not a shy person, but I can definitely say I feel a tad shy now that I have finally come out of lurkerdom. I have many interests and hobbies, and I enjoy reading the opinions and thoughts of people who share those interests. I can honestly say that here at Kevin's Watch you folks are some of the most intelligent and educated people I have had the pleasure of lurking. A lot of stuff here is over my head, so I feel really inadequate posting, but hopefully you can all forgive that. LOL

So I am 37, married and have 2 boys. My husband was in the Air Force for 9 years, so I have seen a lot of our beautiful country. Born in Ohio and we lived in Texas, Montana, Florida, Alabama and now we are permanently in Virginia. Very happy that we have settled down and our nomadic lifestyle is over. Our oldest is 15 and our youngest is 4, so right now I am staying at home with him until he starts kindergarten this fall.

I absolutely love The Lord of the Rings and pretty much everything that Tolkien has written, especially The Silmarillion. It was because of LOTR that I learned about The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant. My husband's flight chief in Montana was an avid reader, and he told me if I loved LOTR that I should try The Chronicles. He lent me his copies, and I was hooked. Went right out and bought my own copies. I loved the Land and all of it's characters. At first, it was a tough read, but as I went on, it got better and better. I found that when I re-read Lord Foul's Bane the second time, it was so much better, and it was nice that the struggle to get through it was gone.

I found Kevin's Watch long ago when I was re-reading the books for the umpteenth time. I had always had questions and needed some clarification on some themes and ideas that I didn't quite get. It was great to come here and see so much enthusiasm for these books. I was thrilled to read such detailed explanations and it has really deepened my love and my understanding for the series as a whole.

I knew about the Last Chronicles for a long time now, but didn't want to start them until it was close to the final book being released. I am a Harry Potter fan, and it was grueling waiting for each new book to come out. So last week I finally got ROTE, FR and AATE. I struggled to get through ROTE, but I knew it was just giving us a lot of background and setting the stage for the next 3 books, so I was able to deal with it. I am now reading FR, and I was realllllly struggling to get through it. Up until this point I had avoided the areas here that dealt with the Last Chronicles because I didn't want to be spoiled. But I finally broke down and had to do it because I needed to see that it would get better. I saw what Savor Dam and Cambo had said about FR and it has me excited about what is coming up, so I feel much better. I would totally have finished the series because I just had to see how it ended. It's just nice to know that by the end of Part One, things are going to get really good. So I am happy.

I love reading and I really love to cook. Trying new recipes out is something I enjoy. My life revolves around my kids, and sports are huge in my house, especially football. That's about it. I'm not too exciting.

Holy cow, I just saw how long this is. I totally rambled on and on, sorry about that. Anyway, thanks for having me, and thanks for all of the wonderful hours of reading and insight you all have provided me.
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Re: Hello Everyone

Post by Menolly »

Queen Christine wrote:I love reading and I really love to cook. Trying new recipes out is something I enjoy. My life revolves around my kids, and sports are huge in my house, especially football. That's about it. I'm not too exciting.
Be Welcome to the Watch, QC.
Be Well Come and True.

As a fellow football fan, all I'll say is, "Go GATORS!" ;)

As a fellow foodie, I will also say, "Get thee hence to The Galley and start posting."

Yay!
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Hahaha, welcome to the Watch QC. :D

Always a pleasure to get a proper introduction. And always great when a lurker comes out of the woodwork.

No doubt the usual cheerleading squad will be along...I hope they don't scare you away. ;) (Edit: God damn. She beat me to it. :lol: )

Join in anywhere you like. Plenty to see and do here. There's a sports forum, and a cooking one. :D And ones for all sorts of books of course.

So far, AATE is the best of the last chrons, so things are looking up for you.

Have fun, and participate. ;)

--A
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

Avatar wrote:No doubt the usual cheerleading squad will be along...I hope they don't scare you away. ;) (Edit: God damn. She beat me to it. :lol: )
Iolanthe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Iolanthe »

Hello Queen Christine. :wave: Some of the stuff on here is way over my head too, but it is worth persevering. Hope to see you around a lot. :D
I am playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order!

"I must state plainly, Linden, that you have become wondrous in my sight."
sindatur
The Gap Into Spam

Post by sindatur »

Hello again Queen Christine
I Never Fail To Be Astounded By The Things We Do For Promises - Ronnie James Dio (All The Fools Sailed Away)

Remember, everytime you drag someone through the mud, you're down in the mud with them

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...
It's about learning to dance in the rain

Where are we going...and... WHY are we in a handbasket?

ussusimiel
The Gap Into Spam
Location: Waterford (milking cows), and sometimes still Dublin, Ireland

Post by ussusimiel »

Hi Queen Christine, welcome to the Watch!

Plenty of us have struggled with the last Chrons, so there's no need to feel that you're alone in that. We're fans of SRD, not fanboys/fangirls (well not all of us :lol: ).

u.

P.S. I was going to direct you to some threads but I see you've got there already. A diligent lurker! :biggrin:
Tho' all the maps of blood and flesh
Are posted on the door,
There's no one who has told us yet
What Boogie Street is for.
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Welcome, your Highness. We appreciate a nice introduction around here; well done.
Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Post by Savor Dam »

Good to see you made your way over here from the Unfettered by the Last Chronicles thread...and put up a great introduction post.

So, once again:

Welcome to the Watch, Queen Christine!
May you thrive here...and contribute.
Love prevails.
~ Tracie Mckinney-Hammon

Change is not a process for the impatient.
~ Barbara Reinhold

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul, can always count on the support of Paul.
~ George Bernard Shaw
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

Welcome, Queen Christine! Chesterfield, really? Somebody from Midlothian checked in not long ago. We might have to plan a mini-fest in Richmond. 8)

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

https://www.hearth-myth.com/
sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Post by sgt.null »

hi Queen Christine
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
Lady Revel
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Lady Revel »

Hello Queen Christine! I am also out of my league here, and lots of things go over my head. They are nice enough to let me post anyway. :) We are glad you are here, and hope to see you around! :D
stockman1187
Servant of the Land

Post by stockman1187 »

A fellow Chesterfield person. I'm in Midlothian :) Welcome!
"My heart has rooms that sigh with dust and ashes in the hearth"
stockman1187
Servant of the Land

Post by stockman1187 »

aliantha wrote:Welcome, Queen Christine! Chesterfield, really? Somebody from Midlothian checked in not long ago. We might have to plan a mini-fest in Richmond. 8)
I'm all for a Mini-fest her ein Richmond and would be happy to host. I'm out of the country all of April but May works if there is any interest out there.
"My heart has rooms that sigh with dust and ashes in the hearth"
Shaun das Schaf
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Shaun das Schaf »

Welcome on board the board Queen Christine. I'm sure you'll fit right in. :-)

aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

stockman1187 wrote:
aliantha wrote:Welcome, Queen Christine! Chesterfield, really? Somebody from Midlothian checked in not long ago. We might have to plan a mini-fest in Richmond. 8)
I'm all for a Mini-fest her ein Richmond and would be happy to host. I'm out of the country all of April but May works if there is any interest out there.
Cool. :)

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

https://www.hearth-myth.com/
Fire Daughter
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Fire Daughter »

Welcome to the Watch! :welcome:
For Myles--
When evening shadows and the stars appear
And there is no one to dry your tears
I could hold you for a million years
To make you feel my love

For Mom--
Did you ever know that you're my hero,
and everything I would like to be?
I can fly higher than an eagle,
for you are the wind beneath my wings.

Fly...fly high against the sky...
Thank you, thank you, thank God for you
The wind beneath my wings

Queen Christine
Stonedownor

Yep, we are in Chesterfield! I love it here. Very nice area. And we are only 7 hours away from our family in Ohio, which is the closest we have been in 15 years. We actually spent this weekend at Highland Springs because our son was attending the NUC football camp. It seriously cut into my reading! LOL
“In accepting a gift you honor the giver.” - Baradakas
Queen Christine
Stonedownor

stockman1187 wrote:A fellow Chesterfield person. I'm in Midlothian :) Welcome!
That's cool! What a coincidence! :D
Queen Christine
Stonedownor

And thank you all for such a warm welcome!

Return to “The Summonsing”