My Thoughts While Reading AATE

Book 3 of the Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant

Moderators: dlbpharmd, High Lord Tolkien

Queen Christine
Stonedownor

My Thoughts While Reading AATE

Post by Queen Christine »

Ok, so I started AATE last night. Everyone here has already finished it of course, so I am sure that anything I say has already been covered. But I just have to have a place to share my thoughts during my reading of this book.

First of all, holy shit!!!!!!!!!! THIS BOOK IS ALREADY FREAKING AWESOME AND I'M ONLY ON PAGE 51!!!!!!!!!!!

I am so satisfied! This is already by far better than ROTE and FR! Covenant is back! And I was totally freaking happy that the very first chapter was written from his point of view!!!! And when it went back to being from Linden's point of view, I didn't even mind.

How awesome was the interaction of Berek, Damelon, Loric and Kevin? That was GREAT! When Loric hugged Kevin it was such a powerful moment. Loved it!

And I don't know what the hell has happened. I am shocked at myself. But holy cow, the THOOLAH in me is crumbling! OMG! I will freely admit that Linden was doing some bad ass stuff in ROTE and FR. But her whining and the constant repetition of her feelings of inadequacy was annoying the shit out of me. But now, I am not feeling annoyed with her at all! Actually I am getting totally pissed off when I see anyone even being slightly mean to her.

Caer-Caveral said, "You are indeed forsaken, by the Dead as by the Earth's Creator. How could it be otherwise, when all of your deeds conduce to ruin?" When he said that, I swear I was like, "Seriously dude? You are such a prick! Screw you! What did you except her to do?! Covenant basically broke the 'rules' by constantly telling her to find him and trust herself. What the hell did you expect her to do? Quit being a jerk!"

Man, I was totally Team Linden at the moment. And when she basically said FU to Infelice and the Harrow.... wow, that was great.

And I was THRILLED that Covenant stood up for her! That was great! And I loved that he told her that he shouldn't have kept giving her messages through Anele and in her dreams and stuff. I loved that he took responsibility for her actions and didn't blame her. And I was so happy that even though Linden aroused the Worm, Stave still stood beside her. I expected Liand and the Ramen to stand with her, but I was worried about Stave. He is absolutely my favorite character ever.

I was very happy to learn that the Dead weren't mad at Linden. They weren't avoiding her because they were angry with her, they were avoiding her because they didn't want to affect her Freedom of Choice. Yay! And Grimmand's talk with the Giants pleased me to no end. I was glad that he reinforced his love of Covenant and Linden to them and basically encouraged them to stand by her. And I finally found out what was causing Longwrath's rage against Linden. Those damn Elohim! Argh, I hate them! LOL

I am totally fangirling right now. I just can't stop gushing. I so wanted to come here and post last night, but I couldn't tear myself away. THIS is what I wanted the Final Chronicles to be. The story being told at times from Covenant's point of view, and Linden not annoying me. This is just great. I am sooooo satisfied. I have no doubt as I go that there will be more gushing to come.

I fully trust SRD.

;)
“In accepting a gift you honor the giver.” - Baradakas
Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Post by Savor Dam »

:banana:

Read on! :read:
Love prevails.
~ Tracie Mckinney-Hammon

Change is not a process for the impatient.
~ Barbara Reinhold

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul, can always count on the support of Paul.
~ George Bernard Shaw
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

So you like group-hugging ghosts of the Land's greatest Old Lords?

I'm trying to imagine the equivalent in our world, and all I can come up with is a new Mount Rushmore depicting the dead Presidents tenderly fondling the Constitution while they stroke each others' powdered wigs, gazing patriotically and understandingly in each others' eyes.

No, that still doesn't do it justice. Embarrassing, gratuitous, and overly sentimental is how it came across to me.

But I did like the book alright, especially the first and last quarters. There's a huge amount of bloat in the middle, but ... you'll see.

I'm looking forward to rereading it at the end of my Grand Reread and being proven wrong. I really want to be wrong. I want to love it all, even the ghosts who for some reason need physical contact in order to show forgiveness.
Joe Biden … putting the Dem in dementia since (at least) 2020.
StevieG
Andelanian

Post by StevieG »

Glad you're enjoying it Queen Christine!

I've only read the LC books once so far, but I'm also rereading the lot before the final release, and have just finished the Illearth War. I'm quite excited about getting back into the Last Chronicles. My recollection from the first read was that I really enjoyed ROTE, loved FR, and liked AATE (I remember liking FR more, but I'm interested in my reaction when the reread happens) - a LOT happens in AATE, so I'm looking forward to your comments!
Hugs and sh!t ~ lucimay

I think you're right ~ TheFallen
Frostheart Grueburn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Frostheart Grueburn »

Well some of us happen to like group-huggy ghosties and oozing sentimentality, and there's nothing wrong with that. :roll:
I went looking for tissues at that point.

The impressions in the first post sounds something like I might have typed during my initial perusal of the 3rd chrons two years back, aside from beginning to re-sympathize with Linden a teensy bit earlier after the utterly unbearable ROTE. Despite the slower bits, and divergence of opinions, I consider AATE a great, multilayered book, better than LFB in many senses. So keep going! Stave continues being awesome, and, while they could have used some more character development, loved reading about the badass Swordmainnir in action. :D

Should re-read the lot too; damn Malazan pilfering my time... Perhaps my opinion on ROTE might even amend.
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

No, nothing wrong with that, Frosty. My weak attempt at comedy was aimed at the novel, not any of you.

I hope this doesn't sound sexist, but I think Donaldson is getting better at writing for women as he ages. It may be the gradual, inevitable loss of testosterone as guys get older. Happens to the best of us. My wife says I'm getting nicer as I get older, too. Though I'm sure some would find that hard to believe.
:twisted:
Joe Biden … putting the Dem in dementia since (at least) 2020.
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

But holy cow, the THOOLAH in me is crumbling!
Another soul sadly lost to Linden's Army. Narrow is the gate and straight is the path to THOOLAH, and few there is that find it.
Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Post by Savor Dam »

DLB, I am reminded that also the gate is narrow and the path straight from stockyard to abattoir. Not my choice of walkabout, thanks.

Holy cow, indeed! :P
Love prevails.
~ Tracie Mckinney-Hammon

~ Barbara Reinhold

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul, can always count on the support of Paul.
~ George Bernard Shaw
Frostheart Grueburn
The Gap Into Spam

A member of LA can also admit that the "heroine" can get bloody annoying at times, just like Covenant himself and maybe characters like Karsa Orlong, and still appreciate them. Not to mention the occasional blasphemies like drawing Foul in pink lingerie or turning him into a pony...
Which reminds me that I still haven't responded to Wayfiend concerning that "in my pink fuzzy sword I thrust" slur in an adequate manner. Effy's suggestion of Linden in old-fashioned bloomers with brown and green polka dots begins to sound oddly tempting...accompanied by some of those bondage waynhim from Fantasy Bedtime Hour. :twisted: :twisted:

Consumed too much sugar while helping an English-speaking friend to understand a tricksy F. thesis notation guide...should stay off this board lest my humor sinks below that of Mesolithic cavefolk.
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Linden rocks. She's not annoying - she has issues that she valiantly struggles to overcome. Of course, I overlook all her issues because she's hot!
Frostheart Grueburn
The Gap Into Spam

The First is hotter. :biggrin:
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

I don't know, I don't know...
I mean, sometimes ya want Italian, sometimes Thai...
Sometimes you want 2,2,2mints in one...
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Frostheart wrote:The First is hotter. :biggrin:
Oh, I overlook all her issues, too!
Queen Christine
Stonedownor

Post by Queen Christine »

I really did like the group hugging ghosts, LOL. Perhaps it was the mom in me that appreciated that scene. Loric's fatherly need to comfort and show his child, even in death, that he loved him and didn't blame him was so beautiful to me. It brought tears to my eyes. But I have been known to be a sentimental sap at times. :oops:

So a few more thoughts concerning what I read last night....

Oh I so love watching the Ardent put the smack down on the Harrow! The Harrow's blatant disdain and open mocking of Linden and her friends makes me want to beat the crap out of him. I just hate what a smarmy, rude, conceited jerk he is. He totally acts like a selfish child, and seeing the Ardent put him in his place brings a huge smile to my face.

And I was really pleased that the Ardent said, "She alone will determine what is encompassed by your oath and what is not. Nor will we deem your oath fulfilled until she declares that she is content." That was PERFECT. It was obvious that the Harrow wasn't telling Linden everything. And it was really bothering me that at some point Linden's bargain with the Harrow was going to probably have some horrible consequences that she didn't see happening. The Ardent's words made me feel a little sense of safety if you will. It eased some of my anxiety.

Totally love the Swordmainnir, they just make me smile in everything they do and everything they say. I would like someone here to please give me some insight into the part that dealt with the tale of Thelma and Bahgoon and the gift of tongues. The Giants had told the tale of Thelma and Bahgoon to the Elohim. The Giants found great joy and delight in the fact that Thelma tamed Bahgoon and that "they discovered an embattled and extravagant happiness". Giants of course would find joy in a story in which two harsh folk would be able to find love and happiness and have a happy ending. The part of the story that intrigued the Elohim was the coercion of Bahgoon. "They discerned clearly our eagerness - indeed our hunger - for friendship and knowledge throughout the Earth. And they assured themselves that we did not scruple to send our own to apparent woe when we saw no other course."

Ok, so please tell me if I understand that bolded part correctly.... So Bahgoon was a difficult Giant and was always causing trouble. Because the Giants couldn't get Bahgoon under control, they sent him to serve Thelma as a sort of punishment for his offenses. So when the Elohim heard this story, they decided to interpret this specific act in their own way. The Elohim saw this as the Giants are willing to sentence a fellow Giant to a life of woe when everything else they have tried has failed. So back then, the Giants told the story of Thelma and Bahgoon to the Elohim, and in turn were granted the gift of tongues. The Giants mistakenly believed that the Elohim gave them the gift of tongues in exchange for telling the story of Thelma and Bahgoon. BUT, the truth was that the Elohim gave the Giants the gift of tongues in exchange for Longwrath being forced to do their will and kill Linden. Is that right? So the whole thing that makes the Giants mad is that the Elohim caused them to believe they were being given a gift for TELLING A TALE but actually they were being given a gift because they were unknowingly handing over a future Giant to the Elohim to use as a killer? Thanks for any insight. I feel like I 'got it', but a part of me feels like I am missing something.

The scene with the Humbled pleading with Covenant to not go with Linden was very tense. When Galt said, "Then we redeem ourselves thus.", and then he tried to strike down Linden was intense! And when Staved grabbed his fist, I was jumping and cheering! GO STAVE! And to see the Humbled finally submit to Covenant's will was a long time coming. I just hope that at some point during this book we see the entire Haruchai race realize the error of their ways and they willingly want to support Linden and her friends.

Can someone please answer something for me?

By the end of AATE will I learn:

1. What it is that the urviles and the waynhim want from Linden?

2. Why does Anele want to seek deep rock?

3. What is it that Covenant meant in those messages he gave to Mahrtiir and the cords through Anele?

I don't want to know what the actual answers are because I don't want it to be ruined. I just want to know if those questions will be resolved in this book.

Also, one last thing for now. Covenant talking about Diassomer Mininderain was confusing to me. I just wasn't fully comprehending the importance or the meaning of that whole part. Did this have some significance that I should have grasped? Was I just too thick to understand the obvious meaning of it? Or was it just not really important? Thank you for any responses to this.

Sorry for so many questions, but if anyone can help shed some light on these issues for me, it will be you guys. :D
“In accepting a gift you honor the giver.” - Baradakas
Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Post by Savor Dam »

Some of your questions get answered in AATE. Others will have to wait for TLD. I am not saying which. RAFO!

Sorry, your highness...but that's as far as I am willing to go.

OK, here's a freebie. A question you have previously asked elsewhere, but did not re-ask just now does get answered in AATE. :biggrin:
Love prevails.
~ Tracie Mckinney-Hammon

~ Barbara Reinhold

~ George Bernard Shaw
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

I'll say...I love the Ardent's doings in that scene as well. Huzzah!
I have [from the earlier and this post] mixed feelings on the ghostly old lords.
I liked it cuz it made an explicit connection between wisdom, choice, love, and acceptance.
I also liked it cuz it supports one of the things I think is central to the ethics/themes of the entire chronicles: INTENTION freaking MATTERS. As in the phrase "the road to hell is paved with good intentions" is a pile of crap higher and deeper than "what doesn't kill me makes me stronger"...which is a large pile on its own...but I think I've ranted on those before so won't again.
But I thought the actual writing/execution a little sappy, a tad trite.
On the rest...
I'm going to take SD's step aside.
The questions are good/interesting things...worth talking about...but I can't think of a way ANSWER any of them without spoiling something. Can't really even hint or point at my favorite topics you raise without giving something away....
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

Have you gone in to The Last Chronicles sub-forum of Dissecting the Land? If you read each chapter dissection after you finish said chapter, you may be exposed to thoughts regarding what you just read you hadn't even considered.
Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Post by Savor Dam »

Second Menolly's suggestion...especially the dissection of the chapter with Dead Lords and confrontations between Giants and Elohim.

Yes, I am plugging my own work.
Love prevails.
~ Tracie Mckinney-Hammon

~ Barbara Reinhold

~ George Bernard Shaw
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

Keep in mind while the dissections were done awhile ago, new posts are welcome in *all* of the dissection threads, even the oldest ones on the first chrons.
Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Post by Savor Dam »

I think that falls under my earlier admonition to "thrive here...and contribute", which :queen: Queen Christine :queen: is admirably following.
Love prevails.
~ Tracie Mckinney-Hammon

~ Barbara Reinhold

~ George Bernard Shaw

Return to “Against All Things Ending”