Greetings...

Hey Newbies, over here first ;) Come on in and tell us more about yourself. IMPORTANT: For new members, please read "New Members Only" BEFORE registering.

Moderators: Savor Dam, Menolly

ElektroDragon
Servant of the Land

Greetings...

Post by ElektroDragon »

So, I can usually be found on video game forums. Except that I also like to read!

Last year I decided to pick up Lord Foul's Bane for the first time after really enjoying the Reave The Just collection a few years ago.

I was blown away. I can't believe I waited until my mid 30s to read this when I read LoTR at 15! Then again, if I had not, I probably would not have been able to empathize with Covenant as much, as I now also have a young son, etc. And I may not have had the patience to run for the dictionary every few pages!

So right now I am up to reading The Wounded Land and had an irritating question so finally decided to make an account. :)

I tend to jump the gun a lot with authors so I already own all the remainder of the Covenant books, plus just pre-ordered The Last Dark.

I believe the only other fantasy forum I've participated in was for Feist before he became so pedestrian... actually that was a mailing list. I remember ticking off the author with all my questions...

One last thing of note: My signed copies of the GRRM novels are the pride of my collection, and I got to meet both Sanderson and Farland at a book signing/speech. Lucky me!

EDIT: Just wanted to add... it seems I've been a SRD fan since I was a teenager because of Metallica. Only last year did I find out by accident that what I thought were original lyrics were actually lifted out of the first few pages of Lord Foul's Bane. (The Pale Deaths poem) Quite a mind blower that one.
Last edited by ElektroDragon on Sat Apr 06, 2013 6:13 am, edited 3 times in total.
sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Post by sgt.null »

hi ElektroDragon
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
ElektroDragon
Servant of the Land

Post by ElektroDragon »

Oh yes... where are my manners (probably lost on gamer forums)... Hello everyone!
Frostheart Grueburn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Frostheart Grueburn »

Welcome!

There's at least one person here who swears by metal, so don't leave out song names. ;) I've yet to find any listenable SRD metal, whereas even GRRM and Jordan's works have inspired quite epic songs (Blind Guardian), not to mention Tolkien after whom every other Nordic Viking metal band and their pet bats drool. Even Malazan got its own dedicated album. Sigh. But not SRD.

I met GRRM in a booksigning a couple of years back; would love to see Sanderson traveling to the grimdark frostbitten north Beyond the Wall.
ussusimiel
The Gap Into Spam
Location: Waterford (milking cows), and sometimes still Dublin, Ireland

Post by ussusimiel »

Greetings ElektroDragon!

Welcome to the Watch!

You may be gifted with the most perfect sense of timing. Depending on how fast you read you may have exactly the right amount of Chronicles to last until The Last Dark arrives :lol:

Watch out for spoilers at least until you've finished the 2nd Chronicles, but otherwise enjoy the books and enjoy the Watch. There's plenty to see and do here: games, music, politics etc. Don't be shy, we love to see people joining in!

Be Welcome and True!

u.
Tho' all the maps of blood and flesh
Are posted on the door,
There's no one who has told us yet
What Boogie Street is for.
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

Be Welcome to the Watch, ElektroDragon.
Be Well Come and True.

You're a neighbor of both SD and me. :)
We have got to get that Pacific Northwest mini-fest organized.

Make yourself at home and check out multiple fora.
We have topics beyond the chrons and SRD-related.
But beware spoilers, especially second chrons ones, since you're only just starting that. It is assumed nearly everyone has read both the first and second chrons, so comments on those are rarely spoilered.

As far as questions go, I'll bet you'll find answers galore if your read the chapter dissections in Dissecting the Land as you go along.
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

aww, you beat me to it, u.
Shaun das Schaf
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Shaun das Schaf »

Hello ElektroDragon, pleased to be meeting you. :yeehaa:
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Hi, ElectroDragon. It is indeed shocking that you hadn't read the Chronicles. But the scales are balancing, you seem to be making up for it with enthusiasm. :)
ElektroDragon
Servant of the Land

Post by ElektroDragon »

Frostheart wrote:Welcome!

There's at least one person here who swears by metal, so don't leave out song names. ;) I've yet to find any listenable SRD metal, whereas even GRRM and Jordan's works have inspired quite epic songs (Blind Guardian), not to mention Tolkien after whom every other Nordic Viking metal band and their pet bats drool. Even Malazan got its own dedicated album. Sigh. But not SRD.

I met GRRM in a booksigning a couple of years back; would love to see Sanderson traveling to the grimdark frostbitten north Beyond the Wall.
I'm somewhat familiar with Blind Guardian. I left most of my metal fandom behind in my teens and now partake of dark electro-industrial. But I still break out the King Diamond from time to time!

Ironically, I think Metallica came closest to SRD tribute material, because it was likely the inspiration, in part, for "Leper Messiah", and is directly quoted in "To Live is To Die" as mentioned above. The late Burton is mentioned as a big fan of The Chronicles (and Lovecraft).

As for GRRM and Sanderson, I think you might get your wish if GRRM doesn't hurry up and finish the series! :P
Frostheart Grueburn
The Gap Into Spam

ElektroDragon wrote:
Frostheart wrote:Welcome!

I'm somewhat familiar with Blind Guardian. I left most of my metal fandom behind in my teens and now partake of dark electro-industrial. But I still break out the King Diamond from time to time!

Ironically, I think Metallica came closest to SRD tribute material, because it was likely the inspiration, in part, for "Leper Messiah", and is directly quoted in "To Live is To Die" as mentioned above. The late Burton is mentioned as a big fan of The Chronicles (and Lovecraft).

As for GRRM and Sanderson, I think you might get your wish if GRRM doesn't hurry up and finish the series! :P
Some ASOIAF Blind Guardian. www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfVNbZEhxMI

GRRRRM came here during Ropecon 2009 and survived...then again it was one of those excessively hot summers and not the sunless half a year of snow. :P

Been minor eons since I've listened to Metallica, apart from a couple of covers from Apocalyptica et al; no wonder I haven't been able to associate anything of theirs with SRD.
ElektroDragon
Servant of the Land

Post by ElektroDragon »

Thanks for the song link. Holy cow, I can't tell if that's progressive metal or ABBA. LOL
Frostheart Grueburn
The Gap Into Spam

ElektroDragon wrote:Thanks for the song link. Holy cow, I can't tell if that's progressive metal or ABBA. LOL
Shht, don't tell anyone, but if you peel off a couple of layers with some music editing program, you'll begin to hear:

Ingenting ska växa här,
Frusen jord, svartnade sorg
Testamente av en försvunnen sinne...

And some 80's pop tunes.

Anyway, it's possibly the calmest song on the whole album, and the first that came into my mind. :lol:
I'll post some Finnish Viking metal if Abba in disguise feels too sloppy. :biggrin:
Iolanthe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Iolanthe »

Hello ElektroDragon. :wave:

Sorry not to have welcomed you earlier but I've spent the weekend wallowing in Cardiff (Wales, UK) and I don't have one of those fancy phones, or those newfangled machines that everyone else seemed to be carrying around with them. I know you'll forgive this poor old lady. :lol:
I am playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order!

"I must state plainly, Linden, that you have become wondrous in my sight."
ussusimiel
The Gap Into Spam
Location: Waterford (milking cows), and sometimes still Dublin, Ireland

Post by ussusimiel »

Menolly wrote:aww, you beat me to it, u.
I'll never have the courtesy and grace of the Concierge of the Watch :lol:

u.
Tho' all the maps of blood and flesh
Are posted on the door,
There's no one who has told us yet
What Boogie Street is for.
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

ussusimiel wrote:
Menolly wrote:aww, you beat me to it, u.
I'll never have the courtesy and grace of the Concierge of the Watch :lol:

u.

...you're as bad as SD.
Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Post by Savor Dam »

Giving credit where due, it was Luci who so labeled Menolly, not me. Nevertheless, it is an entirely apt label.
Love prevails.
~ Tracie Mckinney-Hammon

Change is not a process for the impatient.
~ Barbara Reinhold

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul, can always count on the support of Paul.
~ George Bernard Shaw
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

"These are the pale deaths which men miscall their lives..."

:lol: Welcome to the Watch ED. There's a game forum here too. :D

I discovered SRD & Metallica round about the same time, and as you know yourself, it was pretty cool to make the connection.

(Now I have to go see what your question was...)

Well, we hope you stick around. And do watch out for spoilers if you hate that kind of thing.

--A
Lord Foul
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Lord Foul »

Greetings, ElektroDragon.
ElektroDragon wrote:Last year I decided to pick up Lord Foul's Bane for the first time after really enjoying the Reave The Just collection a few years ago.
[...]
I tend to jump the gun a lot with authors so I already own all the remainder of the Covenant books, plus just pre-ordered The Last Dark.
It's rather unusual to see someone start reading SRD from anything other than the Chronicles. Might you also wish to read the Gap Cycle as well?
ElektroDragon wrote:Thanks for the song link. Holy cow, I can't tell if that's progressive metal or ABBA. LOL
www.youtube.com/watch?v=zo3pfnldlD0
I have many names... and may play many roles

So that it's clear: I'm not the Lord Foul who was on the Watch before, from 26.10.2002 to 16.06.2012

Return to “The Summonsing”