Moving to Indianapolis!

Hey Newbies, over here first ;) Come on in and tell us more about yourself. IMPORTANT: For new members, please read "New Members Only" BEFORE registering.

Moderators: Savor Dam, Menolly

jelerak
Bloodguard

Moving to Indianapolis!

Post by jelerak »

After 46 years on this earth living in southern Louisiana, it is now northward bound for the family and myself. Indianapolis, here we come.

We will be bearing the Fleur De Lis proudly as our banner as we bring some true southern hospitality to the Hoosier state.

Who Dat sey dey going to Indiana?

We dat!
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

:wave:

good to see you, jel!
safe travels.
jelerak
Bloodguard

Post by jelerak »

Yup...leaving SEC country also.

...still checking in around here much, just not much time for anything else lately though.

Good to hear from you too.
sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Post by sgt.null »

ugh. leaving the beautiful south for the boring Midwest? :)

safe travels. you're going to miss dat gumbo though. :)
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

But he'll have real corn in season. And good steaks, from what I hear.
(I'm afraid I don't know much else about decent midwest items. Will be happy to be enlightened.)

And as you said in your OP, you'll proudly bear the Fleur De Lis. You'll introduce SEC pride to your new neighbors. You may have to root for the Wildcats, Gators, or Lady Vols when it comes to hoops, but you'll show those Hoosiers true pride in the SEC.
Damelon
Lord

Post by Damelon »

DukkhaWaynhim's stomping grounds.

To heck with the SEC, you're in B1G country now!

Learn to like Hoosier basketball.

You might even think about rooting for Notre Dame… Nah.

Learn to love the Colts.

Locate the Indianapolis Speedway… they have both a Indy car and NASCAR event. It is an impressive structure from the outside.
sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

but no po boys....

etouffee

mudbugs...

Mardi Gras
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Post by Savor Dam »

Another great source of local lore would be aliantha. She doesn't live in the state anymore, but has deep roots there and recently visited.

While many fine aspects of the land you leave behind have been mentioned, I am surprised there has been no love for the drive-through daiquirí stands...

I'd mention the wonderful coffee, but I am a Seattlite and really should not say anything about coffee from elsewhere...but the Big Easy and San Jose, Costa Rica are two places where I was really impressed with the coffee!
Love prevails.
~ Tracie Mckinney-Hammon

Change is not a process for the impatient.
~ Barbara Reinhold

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul, can always count on the support of Paul.
~ George Bernard Shaw
mrsnull
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by mrsnull »

What about Chicory Coffee? I just bought Sarge two different cans of the stuff. :)
“This is Our Bleeping City” - David Ortiz
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

Damelon wrote:Learn to like Hoosier basketball.

You might even think about rooting for Notre Dame…
WHAT?!?!?

C'mon, jelerak, sing along with me:
Indiana, oh Indiana,
Indiana, we're all for you....

;)

Um, let's see, Hoosier delicacies...

I'm thinking! I'm thinking!

;)
Fresh corn, yeah, in the summer. Lots of fruits and veggies are also locally grown -- cantaloupe, strawberries and blueberries, etc., etc. You might be able to find a pick-your-own-blueberries place in late spring, but maybe that's further north -- I grew up a couple of hours north of Indy. And really good steaks are a little farther west than Indiana, I think.

Yes to the Speedway. New Orleans has Mardi Gras, but Indy has Memorial Day Weekend. :biggrin:

Downtown Indy is a much cooler place now than when I was going to college in Bloomington. If you have any interest in Old West art, the Eiteljorg Museum is surprisingly good.

You'll have to drive down to Brown County in the fall. The leaves are beautiful, and I'd bet dollars to beignets that you don't see much fall color in Louisiana.

Good luck with the move! :)

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

https://www.hearth-myth.com/
sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

no voodoo, no gris-gris....
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
jelerak
Bloodguard

Post by jelerak »

Y'all making me homesick before we even leave!

I have been up here for the past month, coming home every other weekend. I had the wife, kids and dog up here with me for almost 2 weeks also while we were looking for houses. We found 2 and finally got the deal done on one of them yesterday. We looked at 23 houses over the 2 week span that they were up here with me. I am amazed at how much house that you get for the money up here versus what the same $$$ gets you in Louisiana, well at least in the New Orleans metro area anyway.

It was a strange adventure with the whole family up. We took our company plane up...the first time flying for the boys, wife and dog. It started out tense, but our pilot made them all feel at ease. He even took it off of autopilot and let the boys take over the controls each for a bit. They were supposed to be up here for only a week and we were looking at rental properties only. When I reported back to the company on the quality of the rentals and the rates, they then decided that they wanted to purchase, so we were back to the drawing board. We lost 2 days due to snow (first time ever the boys got to have a snowball fight or build a snowman!) and then were back on a whirlwind tour to find a house. The company plane was not available to come back and get us, so I rented a small SUV and packed the crew in and drove straight back. Not too bad though, 13 hours including stops. The boys liked the idea that we were in 7 states in one day.

...so here I am, back in Indy (Plainfield to be exact) and the wife is home starting to get the plan together for the move.

Restaurants of note that I took them to while we were up here : McCormick & Schmick, Weber's Grill, Fogo de Chao (twice!). All were very good. I was told to wine and dine my wife, and we had a lot of both while they were up here with me. It was like a college recruiting trip and she was a blue chipper. In the end, I guess I landed the recruit...so job well done.

I have been wearing my LSU and Saints gear loud and proud up here...and getting my fair share of comments on the black & gold. Apparently they do not forget or forgive up here.
sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

that's what they get for drafting Peyton. :) They have Luck now, so they should be happy.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

jelerak wrote:Y'all making me homesick before we even leave!
sounds like sarge's work is done. ;)
jelerak wrote:Restaurants of note that I took them to while we were up here : McCormick & Schmick, Weber's Grill, Fogo de Chao (twice!). All were very good.
*envy*
*envy*
*envy*
...but you should really take this to the appropriate forum. :biggrin:
jelerak wrote:I have been wearing my LSU and Saints gear loud and proud up here...and getting my fair share of comments on the black & gold. Apparently they do not forget or forgive up here.
:thumbsup:

SEC!
SEC!!
SEC!!!
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Good luck on the move Jelerak. Sounds like you have everything well in hand. :D
Menolly wrote:But he'll have real corn in season.
Uh, there's some other kind?

--A
jelerak
Bloodguard

Post by jelerak »

I actually know more about corn that I ever thought that I would. The account up here that I am moving up to take over is nothing but corn and soy seed.

A 600,000 square foot warehouse full of it, to be exact.
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

How old are your boys, jelerak? There's a pretty darn good children's museum in Indy. My kids enjoyed it when we were there. :)

Yeah, housing is dirt cheap in the Midwest. I cry every time I drive through and see the apartment rental rates. :cry:

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

https://www.hearth-myth.com/
jelerak
Bloodguard

Post by jelerak »

We did the children's museum when I had them up with me. (12 yrs and 8 yrs old, both boys). It was so huge! There is no way that we got to see everything. I wish that the weather would have been better, I would have taken them to the zoo. That whole park area around the zoo seems like it could be a day of exploration all on it's own.

Instead, they have a Skyzone indoor trampoline park here in Plainfield that we went to.

I went out on my own this past Sunday to the Brickyard and the Eiteljorg. There was an absolutely awesome guitar exhibit at the Eiteljorg.

www.eiteljorg.org/explore/exhibitions/g ... to-rockers

In hindsight, I wish that I had brought them here when I had them. When we move up in mid May, I will definitely be taking them to both places mentioned above.
DukkhaWaynhim
The Gap Into Spam

Post by DukkhaWaynhim »

Well, Indy can't compete with NOLA for the range of awesome Cajun food, but we do have Yats! and Gumbo-a-Go-Go, both of which are pretty good eats.

But, you can certainly eat your way through Indy...

If you like Greek food, you should try Santorini Greek Kitchen in Fountain Square. You want the flaming cheese appetizer.

For excellent thin crust pizza, go downtown to Bazbeaux on Mass Avenue, and get creative with the toppings. They also have a location in Broadripple.

Another good pizza / Italian place is Puccini's Smiling Teeth at 86th & Ditch. Get the razorback.

For the best deep dish pizza outside of Chicago, go NE side to Ale Emporium, behind the Castleton Square mall. Its really a sports bar, but their deep dish pizza is excellent.

Thai food? Siam Square in Fountain Square is bistro-style, and northside you can do Sawasdee at 86th & Ditch.

The best Vietnamese is at Sizzling Wok, which is in a little strip just north of Lafayette Square Mall.

For Italian, Bravo! on the northside & Charbonos in Avon are a little fancier, or you can get the best lasagna at Papa Joe Jr's, also in Avon.

My favorite mexican restaurant is Los Rancheros at 71st and Georgetown, because it is close to home, and they have the best house margarita.

For Barbecue, you must try Squealers at 86th & Zionsville Rd. They serve deep fried biscuits as a side.

Oceanaire downtown is upscale, super fresh seafood, flown in daily.

On Mass Ave, stop in to MacNivens Scottish Pub, for a strange combination of a great beer selection, Scotch Eggs, and the city's best vegetarian choices, like Vegetarian Haggis.

Canal Bistro in Broadripple is great Mediterranean food, and in the summer you can sit outside on the patio overlooking the canal, and see all the walkers/runners on the Monon.

For steak, the best local choice is St Elmo downtown. If you like shrimp cocktail, get it there, because their cocktail sauce is made on site with lots and lots and lots of fresh horseradish.

For a brewpub experience, go to the Ram Brewery downtown. They have an awesome carrot cake dessert, cream cheese frosting, and served with a small boat of caramel sauce.

The Tamale Place, on Rockville Rd just inside the loop has great handmade tamales.

For grandma's fried chicken dinner, served family style, go to Hollyhock Hill on North College just south of 86th Street.

Or you can head southwest of Indy to Mooresville, and try out Poe's Brothers Cafeteria. Served a la carte, huge selection, and they make everything fresh every day, including numerous pies.

All this talk of food is making me hungry...
"God is real, unless declared integer." - Unknown
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

DukkhaWaynhim wrote:If you like Greek food, you should try Santorini Greek Kitchen in Fountain Square. You want the flaming cheese appetizer.
Is it actually made with halloumi? While Gator Town had a Greek diner which made saganaki, it was made with feta and tended to be pretty salty...

Opa!!
DukkhaWaynhim wrote:All this talk of food is making me hungry...
I have to admit, as mod of both this forum and The Galley, I seriously am debating moving this thread at this point.
...then again, I am the Queen of THOOOTP. ;)

Return to “The Summonsing”