I've been Summoned!

Hey Newbies, over here first ;) Come on in and tell us more about yourself. IMPORTANT: For new members, please read "New Members Only" BEFORE registering.

Moderators: Savor Dam, Menolly

Aiden Victore
Servant of the Land

I've been Summoned!

Post by Aiden Victore »

Hi everyone,

I have read The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant about once every 5 years (I finished my third reading just last year). Just recently I discovered that there is a third trilogy that I can enjoy. I’m honestly not sure how I feel about a third trilogy. After reading The Power That Preserves I remember thinking that the story was complete. I felt the same way after reading White gold Wielder. How much more can the Land offer to teach me?

Regardless, I’m going to push ahead and see if Linden Avery has any new insights for me. But first, I decided to start again at the beginning. I think that all of the great and powerful sagas deserve to be read again and again throughout different points in your life. I’m going to take something different away from the story now than when I first read the books at 15 years old.

So I started Lord Fouls Bane about 20 minutes ago, and partway through Chapter One, I just wanted to put the book down and cry for a moment; I already know all of the pain Thomas is going to experience and put himself thru, and when he was thinking about his divorce to Joan it just struck a chord in my heart.

I didn’t expect to find an online community for TCOTC, but on the off chance I looked anyway. I was excited to find Kevin’s Watch, and I plan to poke around the forums a bit. I have never met anyone but my father who has read the books, but I am sure that here at least most if not all of the thoughts I’ve had on the subject have been scrubbed under a very fine microscope. I’ll enjoy reading it all :)
Shaun das Schaf
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Shaun das Schaf »

Hello Aiden Victore, welcome to the Watch. :wave: Being such an ardent Chronicles fan, you're going to have lots of fun looking around.

I'll leave others to drop by and tell you about the many other offerings of the forums because...well, I'm lazy :-)

Hope to see you around posting up a storm.
Aiden Victore
Servant of the Land

Post by Aiden Victore »

Thank you for the warm welcome Shaun. Just one question: I don't need to shed blood to the sunbane in order to post here, right? :)
Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Post by Savor Dam »

(Best I respond quickly, lest Foul mislead our new member.)
Blood sacrifice is strictly optional...

Welcome to the Watch Aiden Victore!

May you thrive here...and contribute.
Love prevails.
~ Tracie Mckinney-Hammon

Change is not a process for the impatient.
~ Barbara Reinhold

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul, can always count on the support of Paul.
~ George Bernard Shaw
Shaun das Schaf
The Gap Into Spam

NOW he tells me it's optional. :roll:
Good on you for checking first instead of naively rolling up your sleeve as I did Aiden.
MsMary
The Gap Into Spam

Post by MsMary »

Hi, Aiden!

:wave:
"The Cheat is GROUNDED! We had that lightswitch installed for you so you could turn the lights on and off, not so you could throw lightswitch raves!"
- I'm always all right.
- Is all right special Time Lord code for really not all right at all?

- You're all irresponsible fools!
- The Doctor: But we're very experienced irresponsible fools.

THOOLAH member since 2005

EZBoard Survivor
sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Post by sgt.null »

hi Aiden Victore
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Hahaha, welcome to the Watch AV. Join in anywhere, there's a lot more here than just the Chrons.

--A
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

Be Welcome to the Watch, Aiden Victore.
Be Well Come and True.

Since you have not started the last chrons, let me warn you of spoilers in the chrons forums, even though the mods and admins here do their best to keep the threads spoiler free. And you do know the last chrons will be four books, not three, right?

To paraphrase Av: jump in, look around, and post. There are a lot of SRD-related topics, and even more non-SRD related. Find your niche and join in.

...hmm.
Av and now AV.
This may get confusing...
Iolanthe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Iolanthe »

Hello Aiden. :wave:
I am playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order!

"I must state plainly, Linden, that you have become wondrous in my sight."
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Welcome to the Watch, Aiden Victore (Aid In Victory?). The Chronicles are indeed very moving, they choke me up every time. Here we tend to explore all the corners follow all the details, but it's also good when someone brings us back to the basic fact that they are freakin awesome.
Frostheart Grueburn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Frostheart Grueburn »

Tere tulemast!
Aiden Victore wrote: Just one question: I don't need to shed blood to the sunbane in order to post here, right?
No, but if you feel so inclined, you may optionally cook something for a couple of hungry, exhausted Swordmainnir. We are not famous for our skills in creating culinary delights. I find the task of boiling water cumbersome. In return we'll offer some vodka...diamondraught and songs. Although be warned: Cabledarm sounds akin to a crow trying to break wind through its beak.
sindatur
The Gap Into Spam

Post by sindatur »

Welcome Aiden, glad to see you have found home ;)
I Never Fail To Be Astounded By The Things We Do For Promises - Ronnie James Dio (All The Fools Sailed Away)

Remember, everytime you drag someone through the mud, you're down in the mud with them

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...
It's about learning to dance in the rain

Where are we going...and... WHY are we in a handbasket?

Aiden Victore
Servant of the Land

Post by Aiden Victore »

Frostheart wrote: Although be warned: Cabledarm sounds akin to a crow trying to break wind through its beak.
Note to self: Do not read this while eating soup.
Krilly
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Krilly »

Welcome to the Watch!

I kind of had a similar experience. A few years after reading the 1st Chron I randomly discovered there was a 2nd out there. WHOA REALLY?! What a pleasant surprise, eh? And by the time I had finished the 2nd the 3rd was announced... I feel bad for those of you that began this journey in the, what, 70's? 8)

Hope you enjoy the discussion and community here. Read Runes of the Earth with an open mind and open heart.
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

Aiden Victore wrote:
Frostheart wrote: Although be warned: Cabledarm sounds akin to a crow trying to break wind through its beak.
Note to self: Do not read this while eating soup.
Wait, wait, wait...Cabledarm sounds like birds burping???
You folk in Frostie-land either got some strange birds or an even stranger definition of onomatopoeia.

I mean, "Cabledarm" sounds a little like "Camelfarm" or "Gable's Marm" or even "Lindisfarne" [the association, not the Isle, though there is a connection] {{and those are just kinds of rhymes...not Ono at all...}}

oh...not that kind of sounds like...
/wink.
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
Shaun das Schaf
The Gap Into Spam

That, and she said farting not burping.
In a hurry to get to the punchline again Vraith? ;-)
Frostheart Grueburn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Frostheart Grueburn »

Brief introduction to the birdlife of Frostieland

1. Ettin-Eagles: Local frost giants utilize them as transports, as planes feel too hot and stuffy and do not allow for the refreshing breeze around their privates. This rare paparazzi photo depicts the giant king Kaleva soaring over the Gulf.

Do not confuse with Tolkien's eagles: his are but runty descendants of these majestic creatures, crossbred with some British fowls. He pilfered some eggs during one of his visits and nefariously smuggled them back to his homeland, that fiend.

2. Louhi

3. Kiiruna
Frostielandish wikipedia wrote:Kiirunan ääntely muistuttaa lähinnä katkonaista ruostuneen saranan narahtelua.
Translation: The sound of rock ptarmigan resembles the intermittent creaking of a rusty hinge.
How very delightful! Go listen to a sound sample on the linked page.

4. Riekko
Riekon ääntely tunnetaan kopeekoista ja perkeleistä: ko-pek, ko-pek, ko-pek, po-pek-pek-pek-pek-perrrrrrrr. Kana ääntelee lempeämmin njaa-njaa-njaa.
Willow grouse is famous for kopeks and perkeles: ko-pek, ko-pek, ko-pek, po-pek-pek-pek-pek-perrrrrrrr. The female produces a gentler nya-nya-nya.

5. The Angry Bird

The most common sight in Frostie forests apart from drunken elks.

Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

Shaun das Schaf wrote:That, and she said farting not burping.
In a hurry to get to the punchline again Vraith? ;-)
Hee hee...not this time....if it's gaseous and coming out of you mouth, and it's not breathing, it is a burp in my universe. :biggrin:

Lovely winged beasties, though.
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
Aiden Victore
Servant of the Land

Post by Aiden Victore »

wayfriend wrote:Welcome to the Watch, Aiden Victore (Aid In Victory?).
I like to play MMOs, usually as a support class (Healer, Medic, Tank, etc.). I'm never the one dishing out all of the damage, but I am always Aiding the team towards Victory. Aiden Victore ;)

Return to “The Summonsing”