Yo! So glad to find this forum

Hey Newbies, over here first ;) Come on in and tell us more about yourself. IMPORTANT: For new members, please read "New Members Only" BEFORE registering.

Moderators: Savor Dam, Menolly

JoeBWan
Servant of the Land

Yo! So glad to find this forum

Post by JoeBWan »

Hi, all,

I first picked up Lord Foul's Bane when I was a teenager in the mid-80s. I think the first series was written, but Donaldson was just starting on the second series. I read the first three books voraciously and then anxiously awaited the completion of each of the next three over the next few years.

Recently, I was reminiscing about books I read back then and looked up the Covenant Series. It was only then that I found that more books have been written! I was pleased as punch (if that's a saying) :-).

I'm currently re-reading the series and am partway through The Power the Preserves. Unlike many books I re-read after a number of year which made me realize how immature I must have been to think the books I was reading in the 80s were any good, Covenant has not let me down. I can honestly say I am actually getting more out of this reading than I did the first time around.

I'm so happy to have stumbled across this forum while searching for a computer background, but I will have to tiptoe around the forum because I'm VERY wary of spoilers. There's much about these books that I have forgotten and I really enjoy reliving the surprises, plus I have never read the third trilogy. SO looking forward to so many books waiting for me.

Quickly about myself - I'm the GM of an Internet company with UK ownership, but run, by me, out of State College, PA. It's a small company, but we get a lot done. I'm a married dad of three avid readers, so I ride the bus into town most days to have some reading time by myself.

Hobbies? Trail running and solo fast-packing and utlralight camping. Fly tying and fly fishing. Building things with my kids (go karts, bike renovations, etc) and traveling with my family.

Looking forward to some great conversations with you all!

JoeBWan
Iolanthe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Iolanthe »

Hello JoeBWan :wave:

I do a lot of reading on the bus too, but having read TLD twice now I've reverted to the latest Richard III Society Buletin which I had to put in the queue. :D
I am playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order!

"I must state plainly, Linden, that you have become wondrous in my sight."
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Welcome to Kevin's Watch, JoeBWan. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. The Forum will be with you, always.
sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Post by sgt.null »

hi JoeBWan
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Post by Savor Dam »

Welcome to the Watch, JoeBWan!

Plan on traveling with your family of avid readers to Albuquerque next June for Elohimfest, an extended weekend of Watcher fellowship, including dinner with SRD.

May you thrive here...and contribute.
Love prevails.
~ Tracie Mckinney-Hammon

Change is not a process for the impatient.
~ Barbara Reinhold

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul, can always count on the support of Paul.
~ George Bernard Shaw
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

wayfriend wrote:Welcome to Kevin's Watch, JoeBWan. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. The Forum will be with you, always.
^what way said^
:thumbsup:

Be Welcome to the Watch, JoeBWan.
Be Well Come and True.
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Welcome to the Watch. :D Just stay out of the Chronicles forums and you should be fine.

Luckily for you, we have plenty of other stuff to talk about too, so look around and join in.

Ever read SRD's Gap series? Mordants Need? You may have much to look forward to. :D

Go, join in, post.

--A
Lord Foul
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Lord Foul »

Greetings, JoeBWan.

Av knows what he's talking about with the Gap and Mordant's Need, and there are also detectives and short stories.

And a few more words of warning - some of the spoilers live and thrive in not really expected places out of the Chronicles sub-forum, I recommend temporarily being careful with what topics you read in the General Discussion and in the Hall of Gifts, there are some with parodies, fanfiction and other references. Also, if you see any mentions/links to it, you might wish to avoid the GapIntoMirrorLand wiki for now, though that one might mislead more than inform at times.
I have many names... and may play many roles

So that it's clear: I'm not the Lord Foul who was on the Watch before, from 26.10.2002 to 16.06.2012
Rau Le Creuset
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Rau Le Creuset »

welcome to the forums..

Dont be too afraid of the people here.. there not so bad. and please.. do some posting. the more you do the easier you'll find it to get to know the community here.. so yeah come on in

cheers bud :welcome:

100th post for me.. i'm starting to recognize people on the forum :Help:
"I am He, that arrogant fool who thought he could thwart death itself with his money."
ussusimiel
The Gap Into Spam
Location: Waterford (milking cows), and sometimes still Dublin, Ireland

Post by ussusimiel »

Lord Rydell wrote:100th post for me.. i'm starting to recognize people on the forum :Help:
Ha, ha! And you're only having to deal with the reasonably sane ones, and you probably do not venture into the 'Tank at all :twisted:

We love it when a newbie comes along and gets sucked in. Don't be shy!

Oh! And welcome JoeBWan!

u.
Tho' all the maps of blood and flesh
Are posted on the door,
There's no one who has told us yet
What Boogie Street is for.
Rau Le Creuset
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Rau Le Creuset »

^

I actually joined the think thank thing but i'm pretty scared to get in there... the topics are always so far along before I even see them and sometimes I don't have the courage to read through it all to make a proper response.. I promise u'll see me around there sometime though.
"I am He, that arrogant fool who thought he could thwart death itself with his money."
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

shun the 'tank.
shuuuunnn... ;)
ussusimiel
The Gap Into Spam
Location: Waterford (milking cows), and sometimes still Dublin, Ireland

Post by ussusimiel »

Lord Rydell wrote:I actually joined the think thank thing but i'm pretty scared to get in there... the topics are always so far along before I even see them and sometimes I don't have the courage to read through it all to make a proper response.. I promise u'll see me around there sometime though.
[NOTE: anyone can post in the 'Tank again. There's no need to join a group anymore.]

Yeah, caution in the 'Tank is recommended. It can be difficult to join in the middle of a discussion that has already covered a lot of ground. It's generally best to try and get involved right from the start so that you have fair idea of what's been said and where people stand.

It's also a good idea when expressing opinions to either include links or use 'I think' or 'IMO'. Unsubstantiated claims will generally be totally ignored or rigorously examined. Neither is a comfortable experience but it is an aspect of the 'Tank that helps make it such a good political forum.
Spoiler
(The rest of the Watch is all sweetness and light and RAINBOWS!!! Like the end of TLD!!! :biggrin: )
That said, the 'Tank is probably the most consistently lively forum on the Watch and the ability of people, often with polar opposite views, to (most of the time) talk civilly with each other can make for top quality discussions. Issues are thrashed out and all sides come to better understanding of where they stand and why.

Come on in and test the water. Add your :2c: in a couple of threads and see how you get on. New people and views are always welcome.*

u.

* That's another $5 that Hashi owes me! :biggrin:
Tho' all the maps of blood and flesh
Are posted on the door,
There's no one who has told us yet
What Boogie Street is for.
Condign
Ramen

Post by Condign »

I can honestly say I am actually getting more out of this reading than I did the first time around.
This is the nice thing about the Chronicles. They bear re-reading a couple of times. Like you I read them in my teens. It wasn't until I re-read them in my later years that I full appreciated them.
A copious vocabulary is no substitute for intelligence.
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Lord Rydell wrote:...don't have the courage to read through it all to make a proper response...I promise u'll see me around there sometime though.
I hope we do.

And you don't need to read through it all. :D Just reply to the latest post...topics in there are more like guidelines anyway. ;)

--A
Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

ussusimiel wrote: Yeah, caution in the 'Tank is recommended. It can be difficult to join in the middle of a discussion that has already covered a lot of ground. It's generally best to try and get involved right from the start so that you have fair idea of what's been said and where people stand.

It's also a good idea when expressing opinions to either include links or use 'I think' or 'IMO'. Unsubstantiated claims will generally be totally ignored or rigorously examined. Neither is a comfortable experience but it is an aspect of the 'Tank that helps make it such a good political forum.
Spoiler
(The rest of the Watch is all sweetness and light and RAINBOWS!!! Like the end of TLD!!! :biggrin: )
That said, the 'Tank is probably the most consistently lively forum on the Watch and the ability of people, often with polar opposite views, to (most of the time) talk civilly with each other can make for top quality discussions. Issues are thrashed out and all sides come to better understanding of where they stand and why.

Come on in and test the water. Add your :2c: in a couple of threads and see how you get on. New people and views are always welcome.*

u.

* That's another $5 that Hashi owes me! :biggrin:
Your check is in the mail. :mrgreen:

Menolly is advocating the shunning of my Tank and she doesn't even visit us first. *pout*

Welcome JoeBWan. Make yourself at home here.
The Tank is gone and now so am I.
Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Post by Savor Dam »

Hashi Lebwohl wrote:Menolly is advocating the shunning of my Tank and she doesn't even visit us first. *pout*
Actually, Menolly has posted in the Tank almost 200 times. It has been years since her last substantive post (promoting the Watchies and crowing about the Tank disappearing during an April Fools prank do not count), but the myth that she never ventures there is easy to disprove.

The same can be said about her and Mallorys. :twisted:
Love prevails.
~ Tracie Mckinney-Hammon

~ Barbara Reinhold

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul, can always count on the support of Paul.
~ George Bernard Shaw
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

Savor Dam wrote:
Hashi Lebwohl wrote:Menolly is advocating the shunning of my Tank and she doesn't even visit us first. *pout*
Actually, Menolly has posted in the Tank almost 200 times. It has been years since her last substantive post (promoting the Watchies and crowing about the Tank disappearing during an April Fools prank do not count), but the myth that she never ventures there is easy to disprove.
that's because life is easy if one is a freaking dragon. You burn it, you eat it, or you make it into a big pile and cuddle it.
Slumming isn't the same as participating.

---vraith /ducks and flees dragonfire, hurling THREADS as chaff in the face of Menolly's pursuit.
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

Savor Dam wrote:
Just some friendly leg-pulling, that's all.
The Tank is gone and now so am I.
Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Post by Savor Dam »

Indeed. Exactly why I posted as I did, except what I did was rather more twisting her tail than pulling her leg.
Love prevails.
~ Tracie Mckinney-Hammon

~ Barbara Reinhold

~ George Bernard Shaw

Return to “The Summonsing”