Find the simplest way to solve this....

Technology, computers, sciences, mysteries and phenomena of all kinds, etc., etc. all here at The Loresraat!!

Moderator: Vraith

Vain
Nom

Find the simplest way to solve this....

Post by Vain »

5000 WGDs if you want them :)

...without a formula

There are a number of horses and chickens standing in a field.

If I add all the legs together, I count 40 legs

How many horses and how many chickens are there?
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Unless there's some trick to the question there are multiple possible answers?

10 horses, or
9 horses 2 chickens, or
8 horses 4 chickens, or
7 horses 6 chickens, or
6 horses 8 chickens, or
5 horses 10 chickens
etc
etc
And that's only assuming they all have a full set of legs.
Vain
Nom

Post by Vain »

There's only one right answer...and yes they all have all their legs
TheFallen
Master of Innominate Surquedry

Post by TheFallen »

The number of chickens = 20 - twice the number of horses.

The number of horses = 10 - half the number of chickens.

Wait - do those count as formulae? :x

There's seriously only one answer?
Newsflash: the word "irony" doesn't mean "a bit like iron" :roll:

Shockingly, some people have claimed that I'm egocentric... but hey, enough about them

"If you strike me down, I shall become far stronger than you can possibly imagine."
Nom

Post by Vain »

Forty legs in total means that 10 horses already have 40 legs. There's a mix of horses and chickens :)

And yes. There is only one right answer and it can be logically deduced :)
TheFallen

Post by TheFallen »

If the total number of legs had been 42, then I would have said the answer was seven.

Vain saw "a number of horses and chickens"... that number would have been seven... seven horses and seven chickens... if ONLY the total had been 42 legs.

Sheesh... no partial amputee horses allowed, I notice. *sigh*

Vain, this must have something to do with a strict interpretation of the word "number". Or "count". Or "standing", for that matter. Or possibly some of the chickens are standing on the backs of the horses... but I don't see how that helps anything. Nor does it help if you add your own legs into the equation. That'd only work if the total was 38. 6 horses = 24 legs, 6 chickens = 12 legs, Vain = 2 legs. Total 38.

Or maybe it's not a field with grass - maybe it's an electromagnetic field or something. But I dunno how that helps either. :faint:

Shockingly, some people have claimed that I'm egocentric... but hey, enough about them

"If you strike me down, I shall become far stronger than you can possibly imagine."
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

There are still lots of possible answers. Either the riddle's poorly asked or you're mistaken that there's only one answer.

Edit: A little googling shows that the usual form of this puzzle is to name the number of legs and the number of heads, so that there is only one correct answer.
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

Did you include your own legs? :lol: Does it matter if some of the chickens are riding horses?
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
TheFallen

Post by TheFallen »

GMTA, FnF :D

The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

I would be to differ with the statement that there is only one correct answer but I do not beg. I do, however, concur with I'm Murrin--there are multiple correct answers whether or not you are counting your own legs. If you are not counting your own, then the solution is in the set [in the form (chickens, horses)] of {(18,1), (16,2), (14,3), (12,4), (10,5), (8,6), (6,7), (4,8), (2,9)}. If you are standing in the field then subtract one from the number of chickens.

There must be one other fact which would introduce a limiting factor that would distill the set of solutions down to only one result.

Most optimization problems have either a boundary solution or the solution in the very center of the results, which would leave us with (18,1), (10,5), or (2,9) and the maximum value of (number of chickens)x(number of horses) is found at (10,5).

The Tank is gone and now so am I.
TheFallen

Post by TheFallen »

Given that Vain's been very firm about there only being one solution, I'm assuming that there's no omitted fact. Instead, I suspect the hidden fact lies in the semantics of his statements...I just don't know where.

Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

My bet is Murrin's right about the heads.
All lies and jest
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Maybe the number of heads is burried in the clue.

"white gold dollars"... if you subtract the letters that spell "heads", you get "wi gold ollr". This is a reference to Wisconson Gold Old Leafsprung Land Rovers. The blue-book value on a gold-colored old leafsprung landrover registered in Wisconson is $19K. ... if you take a way 5000 WGDs, that leaves $14K.

There are fourteen heads. 6 horses, 8 chickens.

Easy.
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

6 horses [24 legs] 6 chickens [12 legs] me [2 legs] asking vain [2 legs] which chicken is the one who crossed the road=40 legs and a chicken crossing the road joke.
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
Vain
Nom

Post by Vain »

You guys are funny |V

But to be clear, the riddle is complete. No tricks. No hidden heads, or legs, or chickens sitting on horses, or animals with missing legs....or chickens crossing the road :D:D:D

And there still is only one right answer and it can be deduced through logic.....
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Well you're going to have to tell us because I guarantee you no one will be able to tell you what you're asking for, because your riddle doesn't contain any information that allows any of the possible answers to be eliminated.
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

My son thought maybe no animals are in the field, just a bunch of severed legs.
All lies and jest
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

*shrug* Group by similarity--10 horses and 20 chickens, giving 40 horse legs and 40 chicken legs.
The Tank is gone and now so am I.
Vain
Nom

Post by Vain »

hrm...this will teach me not to translate my chinese friends' riddle :oops:

I omitted a factoid that has been pointed out....there's 15 heads (animals)

Using a formula you could say:

4x + 2y = 40 where x=horses and y=chickens

and

x + y = 15

y = 15 - x
therefore

4x +30 - 2x = 40

2x = 10

therefore x = 5 and y = 10

But there's a simpler way without ye olde xy formula...shall i save myself further embarrassment by just revealing it?
TheFallen

Post by TheFallen »

You can actually be saved any amount of embarrassment at this point in proceedings? :twisted:

Return to “The Loresraat”