Godzilla (2014)

The KWMdB.

Moderators: dANdeLION, sgt.null

wayfriend

Godzilla (2014)

Post by wayfriend »

I have a soft spot for movies about giant monsters. I do not know why.

So I am looking forward to the Godzilla remake.

Trailer is out today: www.godzillamovie.com/#home

This one should not be dismissed as the same kind of movie as the 1999 Roland Emmerich Godzilla with Mathew Broderrick.

For one thing, Walter White is in it!

"In 1954, we awakened something."
"Were those nuclear tests in the Pacific? ... Not tests ..."
"They were trying to kill it."

Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

I never saw the 1999 movie; I may not see this one in the theater--but that would be the way to see Gojira as he was meant to be seen--but we'll see what happens.

I suppose I should see it just to figure out the modern interpretation of what Godzilla means. If he is still a metaphor for atomic/nuclear weapons then it is possible this could be a "chickens coming home to roost" or a "reap what you have sown" movie.

Really good trailer, though.
The Tank is gone and now so am I.
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

I generally like stuff like this, but damn if that doesn't look like a non-shaky, non-1st-person Cloverfield with more exposition.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

Though I suspect that this Godzilla has more in common with Cloverfield than the insipid 1998 Godzilla I don't expect it to be a rehash of the Cloverfield scenario on a grander scale. There are a lot of important differences to note. First of all, thanks to the serious tone, this Godzilla is much more faithful to the original 1954 film and is apparently being played as a disaster with world wide implications. Second its obvious to me that there is more than one creature involved. Third, unlike Pacific Rim, this version of Godzilla most likely won't feature an absurd solution to the problem and hopefully won't include painfully stereotypical one dimensional characters and uneven acting. Fourth Bryan freaking Cranston.
I can't wait to see this.
"If you can't tell the difference, what difference does it make?"

"There is tic and toc in atomic" - Neil Peart
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

aTOMiC wrote:Second its obvious to me that there is more than one creature involved.
Wah?
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

In cased anyone missed the teaser trailer.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjKO10hKtYw

Worth watching, even if you've now seen the new trailer.

Drama, tension. A little vignette, actually. Mostly material not in the trailer.

And it explains some of the imagery you will see in (for example) the one-sheet above.
Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

wayfriend wrote:
aTOMiC wrote:Second its obvious to me that there is more than one creature involved.
Wah?
Yes, at least two other creatures... one of which we know for certain will fight Godzilla.

Cloverfield was ruined by that camera gimmick (and the cameraman being a douche)... if this movie just ends up being Cloverfield without these flaws and with Godzilla instead, I'll be very happy.
'Tis dream to think that Reason can
Govern the reasoning creature, man.
- Herman Melville

I am Lazarus, come from the dead,
Come back to tell you all, I shall tell you all!

"All creation is a huge, ornate, imaginary, and unintended fiction; if it could be deciphered it would yield a single shocking word."
-John Crowley
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Orlion wrote:
wayfriend wrote:
Wah?
Yes, at least two other creatures... one of which we know for certain will fight Godzilla.
I was wondering what made that obvious from the trailers.
High Lord Tolkien
Excommunicated Member of THOOLAH

Post by High Lord Tolkien »

My son and I will probably dedicate a day to watching this a few times in a row when it's released.
I promised to let him take the day off from school for it before we learning it was coming out in the summer.
We're really big fans.

The 1999 movie doesn't exist.
Stop mentioning it.
https://thoolah.blogspot.com/

[Defeated by a gizmo from Batman's utility belt]
Joker: I swear by all that's funny never to be taken in by that unconstitutional device again!

Image Image Image Image
Damelon
Lord

Post by Damelon »

wayfriend wrote:
Orlion wrote:
wayfriend wrote: Wah?
I was wondering what made that obvious from the trailers.
The hook like appendage towards the end of the trailer doesn't seem like it would be a part of Godzilla. I suppose they can have some real fun with the CGI on this.

I always had a soft spot for the big fella and I'm looking forward to the movie.
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

There's a new "international" trailer out. There's definitely some sort of
Spoiler
badass flying thing
(at 1:19). Point: aTOMiC.
Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

Godzilla just needs someone to scratch him behind the ear and call him a good boy, that's all. He'll settle down after that.
The Tank is gone and now so am I.
sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Post by sgt.null »

trailer was cool.

I have never seen a Godzilla film at the movie house. maybe I can talk Julie into it.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

My goodness, that was fun!!! :D Saw it with my son. We're both big fans. The audience applauded and cheered at the right places. Just good Godzilla fun!
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

I'm with Wayfriend - I love a good monster movie. I loved the originals [and the King Kong ones], all the really bad ones *and* Cloverfield! re The Broderick one - Hey, that scene on the pier when the wave comes in getting bigger and bigger? Awesome!!!! Worth the entrance money for that alone!

[What was that next film that JJA was tied up in - the one with the really good trailer where some 'thing' punches out the side of a derailed train. Why can't I remember s*** about the actual film. Must have been bad.]
The truth is a Lion and does not need protection. Once free it will look after itself.

....and the glory of the world becomes less than it was....
'Have we not served you well'
'Of course - you know you have.'
'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
dANdeLION
Lord

Post by dANdeLION »

peter wrote: [What was that next film that JJA was tied up in - the one with the really good trailer where some 'thing' punches out the side of a derailed train. Why can't I remember s*** about the actual film. Must have been bad.]
Super 8?
Dandelion don't tell no lies
Dandelion will make you wise
Tell me if she laughs or cries
Blow away dandelion

I'm afraid there's no denying
I'm just a dandelion
a fate I don't deserve.

High priest of THOOOTP

:hobbes: *

* This post carries Jay's seal of approval
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

Yes - 'Super 8', that was it Dan. What went wrong with that film - I can't even remember the monster. I think I recall something about building a spaceship to return to it's own world - but I could be totally mixing the thing up with some other film here.
The truth is a Lion and does not need protection. Once free it will look after itself.

'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Yes. Saw it. Godzilla is definitely fun. With lots of awe, and a good bit of shock.

Is it Cloverfieldish? Yep. Is it Brodericky? Yep. Is he King of All Monsters? Yep.

My only complaint was
Spoiler
someone prominent died in the first act - a ripoff if you were expecting more
Worth the cost of IMAX (didn't) 3D (did).
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

I thought it was pretty great. The characters were a little wasted. (Bryan Cranston for reasons you'll learn when you watch; Ken Watanabe because all his character did was exposit and observe.)

This is definitely a Godzilla movie, and not just a generic giant monster film.
Spoiler
And I'm not sure I understand the life cycle of the MUTOs. They lay eggs which contain mini versions of the full grown MUTOs, so at what point to they turn into the parasites that hatch into the kind of larva that cocooned inside the reactor?

Also: I burst out laughing when Godzilla's spine lit up like a battery charge indicator and he let out a plasma beam from his mouth.
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

What certificate is it? Want to take the family which will include the nine year old grand-daughter. Will it be cool for her?

'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard

Return to “Flicks”