LFB: Golden Boy/You Cannot Hope - Discussion on Sat. 28th

LFB, TIW, TPTP

Moderators: Cord Hurn, danlo, dlbpharmd

danlo
Lord

LFB: Golden Boy/You Cannot Hope - Discussion on Sat. 28th

Post by danlo »

Ok I'll take the lead! Whoever's in 4 the Group Read: The first "read" will begin between Sept 24th and go through the 28th. As soon as I post on 28th we can begin tearing the 1st 2 chapters of LFB, Golden Boy & You Cannot Hope apart! Sign up here and/or join in on the discussion Saturday! (the following 3 chapts r very short 2: Invitation to a Betrayal, Kevin's Watch and Mithil Stonedown--totalling another 30pgs--so they r, tentatively scheduled 4 Tues, Oct 1st thut Sat, Oct 4th--sorry about screwing up on the dates!! :oops:)
Last edited by danlo on Tue Oct 01, 2002 1:46 pm, edited 3 times in total.
fall far and well Pilots!
Lord Mhoram
Lord

Post by Lord Mhoram »

Id say Saturday was the best, because Ill have more time. So when you say "read", Danlo, what do you mean?
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

I mean we all have btween the 24th and the 28th 2 read the 1st 2 chapt.s of LFB then we'll discuss it Saturday..what time of the day is best 4 u?--and any 1 else? Or we can just jump in2 the discussion throughout the day but no posting till Saturday!
Last edited by danlo on Mon Sep 23, 2002 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

I am not going to nominate a day or time .. because there are so few of us in this time zone .. So you all decide when and I will post when I can ..

We dont actually all have to be on-line at the same time anyway .. the discussion board works quite well and many of us are in different time zones .. [ie: I am a day in front so my Saturday is your Friday and when I am awake you all are snoring in bed ands so it goes] .. so long as we can contribute to the discussion.

sounds good fun!
ImageImageImageImage
keep smiling ๐Ÿ˜Š :D ๐Ÿ˜Š

'Smoke me a kipper .. I'll be back for breakfast!'

EZBoard SURVIVOR
Vain
Nom

Post by Vain »

Yep. I voted for Saturday but any day is fine by me. I live at the bottom end of the world so it's cool :)
Earthblood
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Earthblood »

I'm with Sky - day & time don't matter to me - I'll chime in when I can - between the dates set by Danlo
"You're afraid of yourself."
danlo
Lord

Screwed up the dates Begins this Tuesday!!!!2mrrw!!!!!

Post by danlo »

EB u don't discuss during the dates of the read--you would discuss on the Saturday following--Ok I really screwed up the dates! I was in next week--so here r the reset dates Sept 24th through Sept 28th, now u DO NOT discuss during those dates, u are free 2 discuss on the 28th 2 forever!--Saturday seems like a good date so we'll try that--
Earthblood
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Earthblood »

I've got it ...I'll read during dates & discuss starting on Sat.

The new 'blood is confusing things.

After the 'Survivor poll', I definitely need to re-read with discussion.
Vain
Nom

Post by Vain »

Danlo doing the time-warp :D I'm happy you're receiving loud and clear Earthblood - took me a while to figure it all out :)
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

yeah its not so squeazy!!! :roll: .. I'll drop in and see what's happening .. dont worry Earthblood .. it probably wont be that hard .. cos we should see a veritable hive of activity on this forum :wink: :wink:

.. ok danlo .. tis Friday for me .. so will see you on Friday or thereafter to discuss at great length .. our discoveries!!
ImageImageImageImage

EZBoard SURVIVOR
caamora
The Purifier

Post by caamora »

I'm in too. I'll post on Saturday (after work). I live in Southern California so I will probably be the last.

Question: Are we going to take a chapter or two per week?
The King has one more move.
Lord Mhoram
Lord

Post by Lord Mhoram »

Usually one, but this week two because the first two are really short chapters.
kevinswatch
"High" Lord
Location: In the dark, lonely cave that dwells within my eternal soul of despair. It's next to a Pizza Hut.

Post by kevinswatch »

I posted this in another topic, but I'll post it again here.
BraulioB wrote:Here is my suggestion:

Start a new thread with a title like: "Lord Foul's Bane: Chapter 1 Discussion" then the first post says: "Read chapter 1 between 9/23/02 through 9/30/02. (One week to read the chaper for us slow folks). Discussion will begin 10/1/02 (the following Monday)"

Then we continue to discuss the chapter until enough of us request for the next. Then we get another week for the next chapter, and so on and so on.

I'm asking for this because I don't get much computer use during the weekend.

B
Personally, I like this idea best. It's nice, slow and personal. I think that if you rush it too much, you'll scare people away (like myself, heh). So, how about this idea. We post a starting time for a chapter to read. Give people 5 days or a week to read it. Then we discuss it until we feel like we've completely covered the entire chapter, and then repeat the process. Well, that's my idea anyway. Let me know what you think.-jay
Vain
Nom

Post by Vain »

I agree there should be a certain degree of structure to the wording of the posts. It becomes easier to reference that way.

I would also prefer more time to comment though. I'm trying to read the Gap series as well :)

And here's my own little personal bugbear - shoot me if you will ;) but I found the following to be appropriate (but then again - I may be a voice of but one) ;) but could we attempt to keep away from using too many smileys and chat speech in the in-depth discussions?

I tend to get lost reading them and I feel that too many distractions may just devalue the quality of the message.

Ready. Aim. Fire :)
Earthblood
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Earthblood »

:D :) :( :o 8O :? 8) :lol: :x :-x :P :oops: :cry: :evil: :twisted: :roll: :wink: :!: :?: :idea:

Couldn't resist!!!

|G
kevinswatch
"High" Lord
Location: In the dark, lonely cave that dwells within my eternal soul of despair. It's next to a Pizza Hut.

Post by kevinswatch »

Dude, you forgot the Covenant Smilies!

|T |L |-T |V |R

Although, yeah, I also agree that staying away from internet slang and smilies could be a good idea. If our discussions are really good, then I could save them and put them up on the website to save forever.-jay
Last edited by kevinswatch on Wed Sep 25, 2002 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

pfft LOL!!!!! :wink: :P

I like to use some smileys :cry: .. but I dont use heaps .. and I always write in the Queen's english

.. and apart from my shameless use of acronyms and overuse of ellipses <or shameful :roll: :oops:> and less than intelligent contribution .. I have never had a problem with my posts before :cry: :wink:

And I think that sure some internet 'slang' is not so pleasurable to read .. acronyms are very useful ..

Perhaps we can agree on some acronyms .. ie:

TCTC The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant
LFB Lord Fouls Bane
(all the major titles of the series can be acronymised thus)
OoP Oath of Peace
RoD Ritual of Desecration
Characters:
TC ..
LF ..
LA

Half the joy of posting on the internet is that we can do it without having to be bogged down producing high academic standards re: grammar and language.

Lets keep it simple .. its supposed to be fun .. the posts are not being graded .. and we can simply explore the Chrons together in a new and communal way .. and Jay may even have the summary he hoped to collate at the end of our exercise.
ImageImageImageImage

EZBoard SURVIVOR
Earthblood
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Earthblood »

I'm with you Skyweir - my typing skills stink & using some common acronyms would be helpful to me -we should be able to function in the discussion with those.

I will try to refrain from over-utilization of these stylish and dare I say... cute(?) emoticons. It will be tuff, but I'll try... :?

Keep reading & start discusing end of week!!!

Did I read somewhere in a post that someone is reading the Gap series at the same time?.... I ain't that coordinated (that's the queen's english...right?) :lol:

My demented sense of humor is running rampant... bye
caamora
The Purifier

Post by caamora »

I agree with Vain. I still don't know what "lol" means! It makes it a little difficult for those of us who can barely turn on their computers! :D I do like the smiley faces, however :wink:
The King has one more move.
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

For your information

LOL .. lots of love
ROFL .. rolling on floor laughing
LMAO ... laughing my arse off
IMO ... in my opinion
IMHO .. in my humble opinion
POV .. point of view
FYI ... for your information

.. Yeah sure we dont have to use any of the above .. not a biggy really either way I would have thought ..

.. I've always felt emoticons help to relay an emphasis or a subtle meaning (particularly humour) more acutely than written communicae's alone can

.. In real life .. we have the benefit of non-verbal expression .. but on the net .. we are limited to letters on a keyboard *shrug*..

:wink: Group hug :wink: |G
ImageImageImageImage

EZBoard SURVIVOR

Return to โ€œ1st Chroniclesโ€