A Lurker Revealed

Hey Newbies, over here first ;) Come on in and tell us more about yourself. IMPORTANT: For new members, please read "New Members Only" BEFORE registering.

Moderators: Savor Dam, Menolly

Soarback Grayhare
Stonedownor

A Lurker Revealed

Post by Soarback Grayhare »

Hi all,

I've enjoyed this site for quite a while, and finally decided to join in. I read my first 1st Chronicles book back in the 70's when I was in college. A friend loaned me a copy of TPTP and I read it, not even realizing that it was the 3rd in a series. I was a bit confused by some of the history, but enjoyed it a lot. I read LFB next, then TPTP again until I finally got a copy of TIW, which filled in a lot of questions. TIW remains my favorite of the 1st Chrons.

Every couple of years I did a complete reread of the 1st and 2nd Chrons, and once the third chrons came out, I do a complete reread before tackling the new book. I got TLD for Christmas and am just about to start my reread in preparation for that.

I was lucky enough to catch SRD at a book signing in Chicago when WGW came out and got an autographed copy. That's about my only claim to fame.

Anyway, I hope to put in my 2 cents as I reread, and hope I don't tread on too much well covered ground as I go. Please be patient, or at least don't smack too hard.

Cheers.
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

Wow, that seems like a difficult way to read the First Chrons! :lol:

Welcome to the Watch.
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Post by Savor Dam »

Want a newer "claim to fame" and a worthy adventure? Come to Albuquerque this June for Elohimfest to meet, talk and party with your fellow Watchers. The highlight is a dinner and conversation with SRD -- not just a production-line book signing, not by a long shot!
Love prevails.
~ Tracie Mckinney-Hammon

Change is not a process for the impatient.
~ Barbara Reinhold

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul, can always count on the support of Paul.
~ George Bernard Shaw
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

Be Welcome to the Watch, SG.
Be Well Come and True.
Sorus
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Sorus »

Welcome!

Oh, a change is coming, feel these doors now closing
Is there no world for tomorrow, if we wait for today?

Iolanthe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Iolanthe »

Hello Soarback Grayhare! :wave:

Sounds like you are another oldie like me. If this carries on we shall have to start a section for Old Aged Pensioners. :D
I am playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order!

"I must state plainly, Linden, that you have become wondrous in my sight."
Soarback Grayhare
Stonedownor

Thanks for the warm welcome.

I figured I wouldn't be the only 'mature' ;) person here after seeing how many got into these books when they first came out.

I'm pretty hit or miss on forums. I generally don't get into them daily, so continued conversations are difficult. However, these books tend to be deep enough that discussion is helpful, and there's nobody around me who are into this series. I look forward to it.
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Welcome to the Watch. :D

You probably know everybody already. :D

Go join in. We don't mind re-covering trodden ground...often many times. :D

Go enjoy yourself.

--A
Clinton Seeber
Ramen

Re: A Lurker Revealed

Post by Clinton Seeber »

Soarback Grayhare wrote:Hi all,

I've enjoyed this site for quite a while, and finally decided to join in. I read my first 1st Chronicles book back in the 70's when I was in college. A friend loaned me a copy of TPTP and I read it, not even realizing that it was the 3rd in a series. I was a bit confused by some of the history, but enjoyed it a lot. I read LFB next, then TPTP again until I finally got a copy of TIW, which filled in a lot of questions. TIW remains my favorite of the 1st Chrons.

Every couple of years I did a complete reread of the 1st and 2nd Chrons, and once the third chrons came out, I do a complete reread before tackling the new book. I got TLD for Christmas and am just about to start my reread in preparation for that.

I was lucky enough to catch SRD at a book signing in Chicago when WGW came out and got an autographed copy. That's about my only claim to fame.

Anyway, I hope to put in my 2 cents as I reread, and hope I don't tread on too much well covered ground as I go. Please be patient, or at least don't smack too hard.

Cheers.
Donaldson is certainly one of the greatest ever,but, if I reread as much as you did, I would never be able to find time to work in Terry Brooks, David Eddings, JRR Tolkien or Roger Zelazny. Oh... and Lovecraft; even though he was a short story writer in a different genre, I can't bring myself not to mention him.
Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

Welcome to the Watch, Soarback Grayhare.
The Tank is gone and now so am I.
sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Post by sgt.null »

hi Soarback Grayhare
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
Soarback Grayhare
Stonedownor

Hi right back atcha.

I earned my name on Monday- had to shovel ice and snow so I could get out of my driveway. My back is still reminding me of my folly.
Lord Foul
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Lord Foul »

Greetings - oh, one more Giant? Well, at least one did turn out quite acceptable for me here.
I have many names... and may play many roles

So that it's clear: I'm not the Lord Foul who was on the Watch before, from 26.10.2002 to 16.06.2012
Soarback Grayhare
Stonedownor

Lord Foul wrote:Greetings - oh, one more Giant? Well, at least one did turn out quite acceptable for me here.
I'm not sure I should be talking to you. My grand old mother told me never to talk to strangers, or evil lords of the underworld.

Unless you have candy. Do you have candy?
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

:LOLS: Oh you'll fit in just fine. ;)

--A
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

Welcome aboard, Soarback Grayhare! Anybody who posts in the "Covenant Walks Into A Bar" thread is awesome in my book! (Just please, PLEASE, don't ask me if I ride Ranyhyn. :hairs: )
Dondarion
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Dondarion »

Welcome, fellow newbie! Apparently, you've figured out the secret to decoding TC of TC....you start with the last book, then the first, then the last again, and then the middle....3, 1, 3, 2....aahhh, that explains much. But, really, processing SRD is tough enough, but to try and process it out of order? That's special. Ever play 3D chess??
Soarback Grayhare
Stonedownor

Dondarion wrote:Welcome, fellow newbie! Apparently, you've figured out the secret to decoding TC of TC....you start with the last book, then the first, then the last again, and then the middle....3, 1, 3, 2....aahhh, that explains much. But, really, processing SRD is tough enough, but to try and process it out of order? That's special. Ever play 3D chess??
3D chess? No way. 2D chess? Not much better.

I think the biggest problem I had with starting with TPTP is the visual that stuck in my head. I had the paperback version with the emerald green Colossus of the Falls scene. I still picture Elena as a green wicked witch of the west, and Giants as jolly green.
Dondarion
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Dondarion »

I remember all those early paperback covers. They were great, but oftentimes misleading, as I would liken the book's title to what was being depicted on the cover, and that was not usually the case. And I believe that continues throughout all the series. Would be a fun exercise to recap all these early book covers and discuss what is being depicted on each of them. Maybe obvious, but maybe not always.
Clinton Seeber
Ramen

Post by Clinton Seeber »

Soarback Grayhare wrote:
Dondarion wrote:Welcome, fellow newbie! Apparently, you've figured out the secret to decoding TC of TC....you start with the last book, then the first, then the last again, and then the middle....3, 1, 3, 2....aahhh, that explains much. But, really, processing SRD is tough enough, but to try and process it out of order? That's special. Ever play 3D chess??
3D chess? No way. 2D chess? Not much better.

I think the biggest problem I had with starting with TPTP is the visual that stuck in my head. I had the paperback version with the emerald green Colossus of the Falls scene. I still picture Elena as a green wicked witch of the west, and Giants as jolly green.
Well, that's stupid.

Return to “The Summonsing”