New to the Watch!

Hey Newbies, over here first ;) Come on in and tell us more about yourself. IMPORTANT: For new members, please read "New Members Only" BEFORE registering.

Moderators: Savor Dam, Menolly

StoneHeart WaveSeeker
Servant of the Land

New to the Watch!

Post by StoneHeart WaveSeeker »

Hi. My first trip to the Land occured in the late 70s. I was 16 and discovered SRD's trilogy at the local drug store while searching for the latest Doc Savage or Tarzan reprint. It was my first 'grown-up' book, and also the first book I ever threw down in horror (Covanent's rape of Lena). Needless to say, I quickly picked it back up to follow the Unbeliever's journey through the Land. Like so many fellow readers, I soon fell in love with SRD's rich prose, his loveable (and hateble) characters and wondrous storytelling.
Since those days, my taste in reading has evolved but I always return to the Land every few years. How can one live without Giants and Haruchai, the stone permanance of Revelstone or the sweet respite of Andelain? Even the Despiser and his lackeys have their siren call.
Most of you know my joy when I discovered that Donaldson was returning to the Land. As each new volume arrived, I retraced Covanent's journey from book 1 before reading the latest edition. Due to my busy life, I am currently on Against All Things Ending in preparation for the final volume.
I've been to the Watch before, but haven't joined until now. As you all know I'm sure, fellow readers of The Chronicles are not that easy to find in day to day life. We are a salient if not downright rare breed. I have many friends who are readers, none that read Covenant. And that's why I'm here.
"My heart has rooms that sigh with dust.
And ashes in the Hearth."
Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Post by Savor Dam »

Welcome to the Watch, StoneHeart WaveSeeker!

Thank you for your eloquent and relatable introduction. Since you've been here before registering, you've probably already found the rich variety of topics and conversations here. If not, do look around the various fora and join in wherever you care to.

May you thrive here and contribute!
Love prevails.
~ Tracie Mckinney-Hammon

Change is not a process for the impatient.
~ Barbara Reinhold

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul, can always count on the support of Paul.
~ George Bernard Shaw
Rau Le Creuset
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Rau Le Creuset »

welcome to the watch! Stay, post things, make topics, join conversations, disagree with people!! It's all good fun and sometimes fairly educational. Some of the people here went off the deep end a while ago, but even they aren't so bad :lol:
"I am He, that arrogant fool who thought he could thwart death itself with his money."
Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

Welcome to the Watch, StoneHeart.

Although I am no expert on fantasy literature from the mid- to late-70s, I suspect that the interaction between Covenant and Lena is your first indication that this series is going to be like no others--definitely in a class by itself.
The Tank is gone and now so am I.
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Welcome to the Watch, WaveSeeker. Seeking waves I understand. Hopefully we can take the Stone out of your Heart though. Maybe some of the other Tennesseeans (Tennesseeites?) on board can help there. Seeking fellow fans I understand better. Come, partake, thrive, bask.
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

Be Welcome to the Watch, StoneHeart.
Be Well Come and True.

If you can arrange, perhaps you can join us for what may be the last official elohimfest with SRD. You will then meet fellow SRD fans IRL a plenty.
Iolanthe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Iolanthe »

Hello Stoneheart Waveseeker :wave:

Another giant! Hopefully Frostheart will be around to greet you. :D
I am playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order!

"I must state plainly, Linden, that you have become wondrous in my sight."
Lord Foul
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Lord Foul »

StoneHeart WaveSeeker wrote:Even the Despiser and his lackeys have their siren call.
Greetings, StoneHeart WaveSeeker. You do well to flatter my exceptional voice and my ability to lure victims people.

I also note your looks - rather familiar - is someone called the Storyteller at times, or at least one who calls himself so, an acqauintance of yours?
Iolanthe wrote:Another giant! Hopefully Frostheart will be around to greet you. :D
She's is not going to be available much in the nearest future, but due to simply a new round of those travels Giants are so fond of. Noticing - or better praising or citicising - some of her art should make meeting her sometime and perhaps even getting some specific art from her more likely though, she even managed to flatter me with quite a decent depiction - certainly, it doesn't suffice to show all of my awesomeness and perfection, but then nothing does. kevinswatch.ihugny.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=22610
I have many names... and may play many roles

So that it's clear: I'm not the Lord Foul who was on the Watch before, from 26.10.2002 to 16.06.2012
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Welcome to the Watch. :D Ignore the mad people, they mean well. :D

Go post and stuff. It's always good to have new people participating.

--A
Soarback Grayhare
Stonedownor

Post by Soarback Grayhare »

Avatar wrote:Welcome to the Watch. :D Ignore the mad people, they mean well. :D

Go post and stuff. It's always good to have new people participating.

--A
It might be easier if you list the people who are not mad. It may be a shorter list. :screwy:
I walk a mile in your shoes
And now I'm a mile away
And I've got your shoes
---Comeback Story, Kings of Leon
Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

So....when are all the newcomers going to drop by the Tank?
Soarback Grayhare
Stonedownor

Hashi Lebwohl wrote:So....when are all the newcomers going to drop by the Tank?
OK, I have to ask. What is the Tank, and why should I (or should I) be afraid of going there. All the references I've seen so far are somewhat, well, less than enthusiastic.
And now I'm a mile away
And I've got your shoes
Frostheart Grueburn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Frostheart Grueburn »

Foul, were you not worried about your nipples showing too much in that one? What about the evil homing pigeon depiction in the wiki, I would consider that more accurate.

I am indeed on-off, first proper internet connection for days on a long dromond journey off to the outer Hebrides. Seekers of waves would discover many foamy swells just outside the window. (Greetings and welcomes to the OP)ä
Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

The Tank (formally Hile Troy's Think-Tank) is the forum for politics, economics, news, and current events both nationally and internationally. It is our version of what are colloquially referred to as "talking head shows" where a panel of commentators discuss some topic.

You should not be afraid of going there despite what you may read. Those who still hold less-than-positive opinions of the Tank have not been there during my tenure and thus their information is sorely outdated. It is definitely not what it once was and, unlike other changes you may encounter in your life from time to time, this change is for the better.

There you are, Frostheart. I have not been on an ocean-going vessel in....damn, has it really been that long? 28 years.
Frostheart Grueburn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Frostheart Grueburn »

Gianthome sports a large archipelago, so if you desire to visit some rocks, you usually must board a ship. Also the cheapest way to reach Maarianhamina and Stockholm from this corner of the Earth. :)

And hi Io, I'm technically in the same country. :D
Last edited by Frostheart Grueburn on Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
StoneHeart WaveSeeker
Servant of the Land

wayfriend wrote: Maybe some of the other Tennesseeans (Tennesseeites?)

I believe its Tennesseeagons. :?
StoneHeart WaveSeeker
Servant of the Land

Thanks for the well-wishes and warm welcome!
StoneHeart WaveSeeker
Servant of the Land

Menolly wrote: If you can arrange, perhaps you can join us for what may be the last official elohimfest with SRD. You will then meet fellow SRD fans IRL a plenty.
When is it? That would be awesome!!!
Soarback Grayhare
Stonedownor

StoneHeart WaveSeeker wrote:
wayfriend wrote: Maybe some of the other Tennesseeans (Tennesseeites?)

I believe its Tennesseeagons. :?
Hey, I'm not so far from you. Russellville KY. I spent a lot of time in Murray KY when I was a kid, just north of you.
And now I'm a mile away
And I've got your shoes
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

StoneHeart WaveSeeker wrote:
Menolly wrote: If you can arrange, perhaps you can join us for what may be the last official elohimfest with SRD. You will then meet fellow SRD fans IRL a plenty.
When is it? That would be awesome!!!
Click on this link for details:
Elohimfest June 21st 2014 the official thread

Return to “The Summonsing”