TCTC and the stages of grief

A place to discuss the books in the FC and SC. *Please Note* No LC spoilers allowed in this forum. Do so in the forum below.

Moderators: kevinswatch, Orlion

amanibhavam
The Gap Into Spam

TCTC and the stages of grief

Post by amanibhavam »

Maybe I'm stating the obvious, maybe I'm reading things into the text, but doesn't Covenant's soul journey in the Land correspond to the five stages of grief (denial, anger, bargaining, depression, acceptance)?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/K%C3%BCbler-Ross_model
------------------------------------------------------------------------
love is the shadow that ripens the wine

Languages of Middle-Earth community on Google Plus
Pink Floyd community on Google Plus
Holsety
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Holsety »

Well, it's not really in separate stages, because most of them (especially denial) stick around for much of the time. But ya, I'd say it's applicable.
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

Are these stages of grief specific to an individual who has been told they are shortly to die, or do they pertain to grief generally? [eg if you are told your child/friend/parent is to die].

TC was certainly dying an 2C, and IIRC during TPTP - but what would the scource of his grief be, since he was basically unaware of this in the latter case and resigned to it in the former; his translation to the Land, his leprosy, the loss of his family, all of these? It's a good idea and warrents thought, but needs expansion.
The truth is a Lion and does not need protection. Once free it will look after itself.

....and the glory of the world becomes less than it was....
'Have we not served you well'
'Of course - you know you have.'
'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

My understanding of these stages of grief is that they apply to any situation one may grieve over. Not just death, but things such as a house burning down, a disability in a loved one when one thought all was well (such as working through and finally accepting my son's ASD diagnosis over time, or a beloved relative's decline in to age related issues), the loss of a long time career, the dissolution of an intense relationship, etc.

Covenant was grieving his life pre-leprosy. All those stages would certainly apply to someone having to make such fundamental adjustments.
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

I can certainly see where Covenant, in the Land - in the First Chronicles - had been engaged in denial, anger, bargaining, and acceptance. Possibly even in that order, although I think Covenant played the anger after bargaining and before acceptance.

But I can't put my finger on anything you could call 'depression' - or, more specifically, the loss of meaning and the pointlessness of life, as according to the Kübler-Ross model. It seems hard to believe life is meaningless when archetypal evil is out to get you.

Maybe this was represented by Covenant's plan to hide in the mountains and achieve a stalemate with Foul?
amanibhavam
The Gap Into Spam

Post by amanibhavam »

I think the 'anger' bit applies to his life post-leprosarium and pre-Land: all that frustration an anger building up in him due to him being rejected by society.

Depression: if one looks at the two first chronicles together, I can see a certain depression after the failed quest for the One Tree.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
love is the shadow that ripens the wine

Languages of Middle-Earth community on Google Plus
Pink Floyd community on Google Plus

Return to “The First and Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant”