Elena and the Earthblood

A place to discuss the books in the FC and SC. *Please Note* No LC spoilers allowed in this forum. Do so in the forum below.

Moderators: kevinswatch, Orlion

kvickie
Servant of the Land

Elena and the Earthblood

Post by kvickie »

Just finished an audiobook re-read of The Illearth War. Of course, Elena's decision to use the Power of Command to summon dead Kevin was about the dumbest thing she could have done.

So, in her place, if you could have used the Power of Command, what would you have chosen and why?

I think I would have commanded the Ur-Viles to stop serving lord foul and to serve the land instead. My daughter says I should have commanded Foul's entire army to do that.

What do you think? Would my idea have backfired? Anyone have a better suggestion?
Vickie

The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has limits.
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

I'd like to think I'd've listened to the wise, powerful beings who warned against doing it at all. Kevin didn't use it, after all. I've never been able to come up with anything I think would be safe. Command the ground to swallow Foul's armies, and you might fill the Land with fault lines. Command the Ur-Viles or Foul's entire army to switch sides, and you might remove free will from the Land. Kevin was probably right.
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
wayfriend

Re: Elena and the Earthblood

Post by wayfriend »

kvickie wrote:Of course, Elena's decision to use the Power of Command to summon dead Kevin was about the dumbest thing she could have done.
Tangential, I know, but Elena wasn't that dumb. She had correctly deduced how unrestrained emotion can unlock power, just as Mhoram discovered one book later. She believed, probably correctly, that Kevin, freed from mortal bounds, would have more of that unrestrained emotion than any mortal could wield. And she didn't know the weaknesses of the Dead - how could anyone? Not that her plan wasn't reckless and poorly thought out. But she wasn't an idiot, either.
bikebryan
Ramen

Re: Elena and the Earthblood

Post by bikebryan »

kvickie wrote:Just finished an audiobook re-read of The Illearth War. Of course, Elena's decision to use the Power of Command to summon dead Kevin was about the dumbest thing she could have done.

So, in her place, if you could have used the Power of Command, what would you have chosen and why?

I think I would have commanded the Ur-Viles to stop serving lord foul and to serve the land instead. My daughter says I should have commanded Foul's entire army to do that.

What do you think? Would my idea have backfired? Anyone have a better suggestion?
Your command would be wasted. You can't use the Power of Command to compel Ur-Viles to do anything as they are not part of law. They were created outside of the law.

Return to “The First and Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant”