Picture size

Main forum for site announcements, suggestions, and help.

Moderators: Savor Dam, Vain

Picture size

Post by Guest »

I've been trying to upload some pictures, but all except one say they're too big, despite the fact that they are within the limits in all repects. Suggestions? :?
CovenantJr
Lord

Post by CovenantJr »

That was me. I'm using a different computer :roll:

Ok, I've worked it out - I misunderstood something :oops: So - how do I make pics small enough to upload?
CovenantJr
Lord

Post by CovenantJr »

Heh, sorted. Thanks for any hypothetical help ;)
Dromond
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Dromond »

I need this info, CovJr. Can you or someone post it here? Thanks.
duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

Post by duchess of malfi »

Actually, I can use that info, too. I can get wallet sized pictures to work, but any regular sized pics I can't get to work...so have to ship them off to Vain for him to do his magic with them...
Love as thou wilt.

Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

My computer came with two things that allow me to edit pix.

1) Start - All Programs - ArcSoft Software Suite - PhotoImpression 4

2) When I double-click on any pic from Windows Explorer, it brings up the pic, with several buttons below it. The 2nd from the right, next to the ? (Help) button, says "Closes this program and opens the image for editing (Ctrl+E)"

Hope that helps anybody. Of course, you have to learn HOW to use those programs, and I'll be glad to answer questions about them if you have any.
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

or if you want to use Paint (Start - programs - accessories - paint)...

Right click on any picture**, select "properties". Check the dimensions. Take the larger of the two, and divide the desired size by that number. This will give you a percentage. In paint, after you've loaded the picture you want to resize, select "image" from the top. In the dropdown menu, select "stretch/skew" and then put down the percentage in both stretch boxes. Hit "ok" and it should now be the desired size. Save and upload.

**instead of right clicking on the picture, you can load it into paint, select image, then attributes. this will also give you the dimensions, file size, etc.
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
Dromond
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Dromond »

Thanks, guys.
duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

Post by duchess of malfi »

Yes, thank you -- I will have to see if I have either of those programs on my computer and see if I can figure them out if they are there... 8)
Love as thou wilt.

Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

Thanks Syl. I didn't know I had that program. :)
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

Heh, no prob. I imagine the program you're using is better, though.
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
Landwaster
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Landwaster »

There's a really cool simple program called IrfanView (i_view.exe) which does the neat things like sizing, rotating, brightening, without all the bells and whistles of say Photoshop. If you ever want to do just a little bit more than Paint will allow you to do, search google for it!
Do you think I like being this dangerous?
CovenantJr
Lord

Post by CovenantJr »

For me, it wasn't the dimensions that were the problem, it was the file size. But what I did was pasted it into Paint, then saved it, and for some reason it remained a JPEG, but was about a third of the file size. Weird, but useful... :?

Return to “Announcements + Suggestions + Q&A + Help”