Lord Foul as the Cosmic Principle of Perfection?

A place to discuss the entirety of the Chronicles of Thomas Covenant.

Moderators: kevinswatch, aliantha

DrPaul
Giantfriend

Lord Foul as the Cosmic Principle of Perfection?

Post by DrPaul »

This is a preliminary conjecture about the original nature of Lord Foul that may form part of the longer piece on the topic that I'm working on.

We know that Lord Foul and the Creator are two essential principles of eternity, and are two sides of a dialectical unity. The Creator is/expresses the principle of Creation, and more specifically the Creation of self-determining living beings. My preliminary conjecture is that Lord Foul was originally the principle of Perfection. If we think about it, there is an intrinsic tension - a dialectical contradiction - between the principle of Perfection and the principle of Creation/Life, but it need not be an antagonism. However it can become an antagonism if Perfection, and the inevitable imperfection of life, are thought about the wrong way, i.e. if Perfection becomes the standard by which fault is always found with what is, rather than the "unreachable star" that nonetheless inspires us to strive to be better. In short, Despite is curdled Perfection.

That's what I'm putting out there. Your thoughts?
Cambo
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cambo »

I like the idea. I think if it doesn't fully encapsulate Despite, it certainly is one of Foul's facets. The hyper-pristine tunnels of Foul's Creche would be good supporting evidence.
^"Amusing, worth talking to, completely insane...pick your favourite." - Avatar

https://variousglimpses.wordpress.com
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

Cambo wrote:I like the idea. I think if it doesn't fully encapsulate Despite, it certainly is one of Foul's facets. The hyper-pristine tunnels of Foul's Creche would be good supporting evidence.
Yep, definitely that.
There are also mentions of LF's appearance/attributes.
And several that might support the idea concerning the cause of LF's own despair.

Other avenues to explore as well. I'd say go for it.
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
lurch
The Gap Into Spam

Post by lurch »

well sure..be sure to check out Goethe's " Faust"..The deal made between Dr Faust and the Devil is..that Dr Faust gives his Soul to the Devil if he can find something that can't be improved, or made better..or..he gives his soul to the devil when he finds something " Perfect"... So yea..Perfection as the Devil has a tradition.

The modern tradition of Perfection as The Devil..is borne out of the difference between the Enlightened era and the Modern and current..Romantic Era....as far as how Mankind perceives itself anyway...The Enlightened..or Era of Enlightenment,,mankind had come to the smug belief as stated in its artistic expressions and prevailing philosophies,,that indeed He was reaching a Perfection.( Imagine, this is before electricity was realized and managed) Then the cracks in the hubris began to show and along comes the early " Romantics' Goethe for one,,who put forth that Perfection was an illusion, as stated, not actually obtainable, a phantom.( See Goethe's Faust)..The new perspective on what it is to be a Human Being became..being in Tune with Nature..Romanticism. We are still in that Perspective Mode of Ourselves...exploring our nature.

I could not agree with you more that Donaldson's work is " Romantic' and yea..perhaps TCoTC is is modern fantasy version of the struggle between " Perfection" and Being In Tune with Your Self..I think the " end " of TLD and the Epilogue ,,summarizes that perspective excellently.

There are ten books to explore that contain the idea. What a gas!..Have fun!!
If she withdrew from exaltation, she would be forced to think- And every thought led to fear and contradictions; to dilemmas for which she was unprepared.
pg4 TLD

Return to “The Entire Chronicles”