History of the Eagles

Who's listening to what, what's going on in the music industry....

Moderators: StevieG, dANdeLION, lucimay

dlbpharmd
Lord

History of the Eagles

Post by dlbpharmd »

I watched this recently on Netflix. I think it was originally a Showtime production. Here are some of my take-aways:

1. Don Felder was hosed when he was fired from the band in 2001. He had, in my opinion, a legitimate beef: Glenn Frey and Don Henley demanded a greater share of the profits from the reunion tours, based solely on the fact (according to Frey,) the 2 had successful solo careers while Felder, Walsh and Schmidt had not. Felder couldn't stand that Glenn and Don were getting more money, and after he continued to complain about it, he was fired. In my opinion, bands should be made up of musicians who share the money equally. Anything else just asks for trouble. Something similar happened with the Black Sabbath reunion - Bill Ward wanted the money split evenly, while Tommy and Ozzy wanted a bigger cut. So, Bill didn't join the reunion.

Now, Glenn tries to make the argument that Felder was fired for writing a "tell all" book about the Eagles. But, if you pay attention to what is being said, it's clear it was over the money. Also, Glenn's continued hatred of Felder was disturbing. That gets me to #2:

2. Glenn Frey is a cavernous asshole, and on top of that, a bully. He says several times that "bands aren't democracies," and must be led. Well, OK. I'll go along with that, but only up to a point. Glenn dominates the other band members, even Don. The film tries to make the point that Glenn and Don have always been buddy-buddy, but anyone with a brain that has followed the band since the late '70s knows that isn't the case. Don and Glenn hated each other back then. Maybe Don is just OK with how things have turned out, because Glenn has seen to it that Don gets a greater cut of the pie too - bringing me to #3:

3. Don Henley is a wuss. Maybe he's just tired of Glenn running all over him for all these years, but he has sat back and watched Glenn treat other band members like crap, and done nothing.

4. Randy Meisner was an under-rated vocalist. I'd forgotten that he sang lead on one of my favorite Eagles tunes, Take it to the limit. He had a beautiful, crystal clear tenor voice. It's a shame he was bullied out of the band, but his overall health has worsened over the years, and he probably couldn't be in the band now even if he wanted to. It was good that the band allowed Randy and Bernie Leadon to join them for the Rock 'n Roll HOF induction back in 1998.

5. The music hasn't aged well for me. It's possibly due to the fact that I've heard those songs probably thousands of times each. But, I don't want to hear them anymore. The only songs I listen to now are Life in the Fast Lane, Take it to the limit, and One of these Nights.

Anyone else seen this documentary?
Last edited by dlbpharmd on Sat Feb 21, 2015 11:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

I pretty much agree on all points, but Felder's firing and the settlement happened before the book was written (read it, it's good).

I used to be a HUGE Eagles fan. Saw them in DC about 6 years ago and they were awful.....And they were great when I saw them with Felder. We watched the documentary about a year ago, and I was struck by what a tool Frey was, and what a smug bastard Henley was. I was also extremely disappointed that Walsh treated his friend the way he did.

I can still listen to a handful of their songs, but oddly it's mostly the Felder ones.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

I haven't seen the documentary, but I agree with dlb's final point about the music not aging well. I think I got tired of them a couple decades earlier, however. I was in a band in college that I wanted to go in a more Rush direction whereas the singer/guitarist/songwriter wanted more ballads and softer stuff that reminded me of Eagles. I've hated the Eagles ever since.

I saw Hell Freezes Over when I set up my first surround-sound system in my home, because it was one of the few quality concert DVDs with a great surround track. It sounded good, but lacking any balls whatsoever. Aging rockers playing acoustic versions of aged songs.

It really makes me appreciate old bands that keep producing new music after all these years (like Rush, of course).

[That reminds me .... I've got to start a new music thread on my newest old-band obsession.]
Joe Biden … putting the Dem in dementia since (at least) 2020.
sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Post by sgt.null »

Felder chose to make issue. he could have kept quite and still made millions, his choice.

he also chose to come back knowing what a toll Frey was. Felder made his bed...
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

Why would he keep quiet when Don and Glen were reneging on their legally binding agreement? Clearly he was in the right, as he was paid a handsome settlement.

Say what you like, but Don Felder was a huge part of what made The Eagles sound like The Eagles. Their sound changed dramatically after he joined the band (for the better), and they wouldn't have reached the heights they reached without him.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

Say what you like, but Don Felder was a huge part of what made The Eagles sound like The Eagles. Their sound changed dramatically after he joined the band (for the better), and they wouldn't have reached the heights they reached without him.
I agree 100%. IIRC, it was Felder who wrote the music to the iconic Hotel California. Name a musician who wouldn't give their right nut to write that song! Felder doesn't play with the soul that Walsh does, but together, they were a helluva combination.
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

I'm with you, dlbpharmd, in that I've just heard too many Eagles tunes repeatedly to be able to listen to them much these days. I've just gotten sick of them, alas.
Three that I haven't gotten tired of, yet: "Life In The Fast Lane", "Those Shoes", and "In The City".
Endymion9
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Endymion9 »

seems like these type reunion power struggles are common.

And I feel the same about Eagles tunes. Loved many of them but not much interest in them now. I'd rather listen to Henley's solo stuff.
~I was born to rock the boat. Some will sink but we will float. Grab your coat. Let's get out of here. You're my witness. I'm your Mutineer~ - Warren Zevon
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

Cord Hurn wrote:I'm with you, dlbpharmd, in that I've just heard too many Eagles tunes repeatedly to be able to listen to them much these days. I've just gotten sick of them, alas.
Three that I haven't gotten tired of, yet: "Life In The Fast Lane", "Those Shoes", and "In The City".

I have to add "Take It To The Limit" to that list, as well. It sounded great on a re-listen, today.
sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

https://www.facebook.com/dennis.r.wood. ... 654&type=3

hearing them while standing on a corner in Winslow, Arizona is very enjoyable.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

A sad day in the history of the Eagles: Eagles guitarist Glenn Frey dies in New York City from complications arising from rheumatoid arthritis, colitis and pneumonia.
:cry:
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/music ... -1.2502052

Moving interview by Randy Meisner. Seems the band did right by him.
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

dlbpharmd wrote:www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/music ... -1.2502052

Moving interview by Randy Meisner. Seems the band did right by him.

From the link dlb provided:
"I couldn't believe he went to so quick," Meisner said. "When I heard yesterday, I started crying for a long time. You're like brothers in a band like that. Sometimes we got in arguments, but it was like a marriage, we all loved each other. I sure will miss the guy. He was really fun."

If I recall correctly, it was Glenn Frey that had the argument with Randy Meisner that convinced Meisner to leave the Eagles (something about Meisner not wanting to sing "Take It To The Limit: on the remaining dates of the 1976 tour because of voice problems). Anyway, I'm glad Meisner's memories are mostly positive about working with Frey.
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

dlbpharmd wrote:https://www.yahoo.com/music/former-eagl ... 00682.html

Interview with Felder.

Thanks for these links, dlbpharmd! They were interesting reading. I don't doubt that Felder would have liked to have at least gotten back on a talking basis with Frey, and it certainly sounds like for his part he tried.
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

An Eagles song I didn't know about for years, but have grown to like is "James Dean".

JAMES DEAN
(Written by Glenn Frey, Don Henley, Jackson Browne, J. D. Souther)

James Dean, James Dean
I know just what you mean
James Dean, you said it all so clean
And I know my life would look allright
If I could see it on the silver screen
You were the lowdown rebel if there ever was
Even if you had no cause
James Dean, you said it all so clean
And I know my life would look all right
If I could see it on the silver screen

We'll talk about a low-down bad refrigerator,
You were just too cool for school