Mad Max: Fury Road

The KWMdB.

Moderators: dANdeLION, sgt.null

wayfriend

Mad Max: Fury Road

Post by wayfriend »

I recommend taping your mouth closed before watching this to prevent drooling on your shirt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWNWi-ZWL3c
dANdeLION
Lord

Post by dANdeLION »

That actually looks great!
Dandelion don't tell no lies
Dandelion will make you wise
Tell me if she laughs or cries
Blow away dandelion

I'm afraid there's no denying
I'm just a dandelion
a fate I don't deserve.

High priest of THOOOTP

:hobbes: *

* This post carries Jay's seal of approval
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

It's been described as a two hour chase.

I'm all about that.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

Holy crap!
"If you can't tell the difference, what difference does it make?"

"There is tic and toc in atomic" - Neil Peart
Wildling
Giantfriend

Post by Wildling »

aTOMiC wrote:Holy crap!
I'll second that, and add a "WHOA!"
Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

Fortunately for everyone involved, including people who are making the movie and the fans who will be watching it, it appears that they are trying to recapture the look and feel of Road Warrior, the movie which launched the entire "post apocalyptic wasteland" genre and was directly responsible for giving us both Wasteland and Fallout.

A fire tornado inside a sandstorm? Hell yes!
The Tank is gone and now so am I.
sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Post by sgt.null »

that looks awesome. will def be seeing that in the theater.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
Harbinger
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Harbinger »

Had not heard of it. Saw trailer on big screen tonight. I was excited for maybe 10 seconds. Death Race. Ok, Death Race after the apocalypse. I have no desire to see it.
Never underestimate the power of denial. - Ricky Fitts
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Another really awesome trailer. I'd have paid to see this trailer and then put 'very satisfied' in the survey.

Final MAD MAX: FURY ROAD Trailer is a Guitar-Shreddin' (And Flamin') Masterpiece!

Brinn
S.P.O.W

Post by Brinn »

Sweeeeet!
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself. John Stuart Mill
Wosbald
A Brainwashed Religious Flunkie

Post by Wosbald »

+JMJ+

Ba-da-ba-ba-ba, I'm lovin' it.

Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

May is going to be an awesome month for movies. Mad Max directly influenced Fallout so it will be interesting to see how much Fallout now influences Mad Max. That large safe door with the Old World items inside is reminiscent--literally--of a Vault.

Also interesting: the primary antagonist's facial mask is a more feral version of Bane's was in another movie featuring Tom Hardy as a star.

The Tank is gone and now so am I.
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

That is simply the most insane thing I've ever seen.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

AintItCool.com wrote:And just like that, the summer’s over.

MAD MAX: FURY ROAD is an instant action classic. ... It’s all the best stuff of RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK, THE ROAD WARRIOR, and DIE HARD wrapped neatly in a bow, and dropped in our laps ... Theron embodies the character heart and soul, and anything that Miller’s team throws at her, she chews up, spits out, and asks if that's all they got. ... Tom Hardy fills Mel Gibson’s shoes with ease and grace ... Action, instead of dialogue, defines character in FURY ROAD. ... We care for these disparate, and desperate, people ... MAD MAX: FURY ROAD is pure, unfiltered, triumphant cinema. You can taste it in your mouth when it’s over – the grit, the gasoline, and all the guts and the glory. This is one of the finest action films ever made. [link]
RottenTomatoes.com wrote:100%
Average Rating: 9.2/10
Reviews Counted: 34
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Saw this on Thursday. Great film. One of the best. Barebones plot, minimal dialogue, but just stellar action start to finish. It's an insane, intense spectacle. Well worth seeing.
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

I just saw this again. It's a really gorgeous film, beautiful visuals, although a bit heavy on the orange-and-blue colour scheme that's so popular these days.

I could watch it over and over. If broadcast TV was still a thing, this would be one of those few films I'd always stop and watch if I spotted it playing.
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

After all the hype - and after how great the film actually turned out to be - I'd've thought more of you would be talking about it.
Frostheart Grueburn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Frostheart Grueburn »

Going to see it next week--friends in all the Nine Worlds have recced the film.
Sorus
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Sorus »

I almost never see movies in the theater, but this one is tempting.

Oh, a change is coming, feel these doors now closing
Is there no world for tomorrow, if we wait for today?

wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Haven't seen this yet, which is why I've had no comments.

But I did come across this Linden Avery reference in an opinion piece about the movie, which is just too unlikely to not share:
[Charlize Theron] is, in fact, the star of the show, with Hardy’s Max Rockatansky – identified by his full name for the first time in ages in the opening credits – relegated to a supporting role with very little plot or character relevance. He’s a helpless victim for the first half of the movie, then volunteer muscle for the second, and never threatens to become the protagonist of the story. Theron’s Imperator Furiosa drives the plot, makes all the plot-relevant character decisions (except for the highly implausible strategy Max suggests for the final act) and enjoys what little character development the script provides.

It’s an acute case of what I’ve long thought of as “Linden Avery Syndrome,” after the bait-and-switch protagonist who muscled the title character out of his own story in the second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever. (By the way, why hasn’t Hollywood taken a crack at that series yet? It’s a film-friendly deconstruction of Lord of the Rings that had a zillion readers back in the day.) [link]
(I don't agree with most of the opinions in that article, including the one about Linden Avery. I guess MM:FR got some compliments for having non-helpless females, and so some sort of backlash was inevitable. It's just too bad that the Chosen was dragged into it.)

Return to “Flicks”