We don't have a Wikipedia page.

Main forum for site announcements, suggestions, and help.

Moderators: Savor Dam, Vain

peter
The Gap Into Spam

We don't have a Wikipedia page.

Post by peter »

Guess it's no big deal but we don't. I'd do one but I don't begin to know enough about Watch history or indeed about Wikipedia posting to make the attempt, even if it were appropriate. Must admit - I'd like to see one though. There must have been enough going on in these pages over the years to warrent a book, let alone a page on Wikipedia. Would anyone like to use tell me some of the stories that have happened if it can be done without offending 'the innocent' ;) .
The truth is a Lion and does not need protection. Once free it will look after itself.

....and the glory of the world becomes less than it was....
'Have we not served you well'
'Of course - you know you have.'
'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Would it pass the standard wikipedia test for notability? Something has to be notable enough in order to merit an article.
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

As the official forum it might. Good suggestion Peter, lemme give it some thought. I have an account.

--A
Linna Heartbooger
Are you not a sine qua non for a redemption?

Post by Linna Heartbooger »

Interesting
"People without hope not only don't write novels, but what is more to the point, they don't read them.
They don't take long looks at anything, because they lack the courage.
The way to despair is to refuse to have any kind of experience, and the novel, of course, is a way to have experience."
-Flannery O'Connor

"In spite of much that militates against quietness there are people who still read books. They are the people who keep me going."
-Elisabeth Elliot, Preface, "A Chance to Die: The Life and Legacy of Amy Carmichael"
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

If this is done, remember to be accurate and state the site was started in 1969 by dANdeLION. ;)
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

Menolly wrote:If this is done, remember to be accurate and state the site was started in 1969 by dANdeLION. ;)
:spew:

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

https://www.hearth-myth.com/
sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Post by sgt.null »

I need wiki to tell of my dominant greatness.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

Sarge - no-one needs to tell you of your dominant greatness; it is one of the Worlds self-evident truths [like unto one of Euclids axioms]. ;)
The truth is a Lion and does not need protection. Once free it will look after itself.

'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
Linna Heartbooger

peter wrote: [like unto one of Euclids axioms]. ;)
Oooh! But which one?
Some of sarge's ways of doing things seem pretty non-Euclidean to me.
Just sayin'.

Anyways, as pertaining to a possible future Wikipedia page...
I actually have been thinking about this, and some little piece(s) of me yearns/yearn for the day when I can go to Wikipedia and see:
"Kevin's Watch: Disambiguation."

May I ask if anyone here presently creates or edits pages on Wikipedia and "knows the ropes," so to speak?

My Two Cents: I think we should make fun of ourselves in such a way that our target audience will identify with us.
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

Av has said he has an account, but I imagine the work involved with setting up such a page would be no small thing and as such would not be undertaken lightly. As to Kevins Watch; disambiguation - That'll be the day! :lol:

'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

There's a wikipedia page for creating wikipedia pages. It looks like it should be enough to get anyone going should he or she want to make the effort.

Notably, under the Things to Avoid section, it includes "articles about your website". And under What Wikipedia is Not, it has "Wikipedia is not a means of promotion".

Not that I am against it. But a wikipedia page about Kevin's Watch might just get yanked anyway, unless it walks the right line.

That being said, there's a page for GRRM's fansite. And one for TheOneRing.net. So it's possible. These similar pages would merit some study. They are rather similar to each other, which suggests that someone has found a successful template for these things.

We will also need a picture. :wink: I would nominate blackhawk's depiction, but this one works for me, too.
Linna Heartbooger

Ooh.
Very helpful inflammation, wf.

Maybe we should ask, "What, if anything, would the outside world want to know about the Watch?"

Maybe this is one thing going for us:
We have a certain sort of model for people who talk online anonymously for years to meet up irl in a group... that's something a lot of online communities don't know how to do well, I suspect.
"People without hope not only don't write novels, but what is more to the point, they don't read them.
The way to despair is to refuse to have any kind of experience, and the novel, of course, is a way to have experience."
-Flannery O'Connor

"In spite of much that militates against quietness there are people who still read books. They are the people who keep me going."
-Elisabeth Elliot, Preface, "A Chance to Die: The Life and Legacy of Amy Carmichael"
Linna Heartbooger

Linah Heartlistener wrote:Ooh.
Very helpful information, wf.

Maybe we should ask, "What, if anything, would the outside world want to know about the Watch?"

Maybe this is one thing going for us:
We have a certain sort of model for people who talk online anonymously for years to meet up irl in a group... that's something a lot of online communities don't know how to do well, I suspect.

Edit: replacing "inflammation" with the correct word, i.e. "information."
Thanks, electronic devicey... thanks.
-Flannery O'Connor

Post by Avatar »

wayfriend wrote:These similar pages would merit some study. They are rather similar to each other, which suggests that someone has found a successful template for these things.
Excellent advice WF.

--A
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

Gosh yes - Haven't seen Blackhawk around for a while, but the man sure knew how to draw a scene!

'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Another similar Wikipedia page: Harry Potter Fan Zone

I highly suggest looking at the Talk sections on these pages. All of these pages seem to be barely acceptable. Basically, the big point seems to be: your fan site needs to be significant to someone or something besides itself.

So some points in our favor include being included in Donaldson's dedications, the organizing and execution of Elohimfests.

We also need to prove this significance by finding authoritative references on the web that talk about Kevin's Watch and that document these significances. Of course, we can't use anything that's actually on Kevin's Watch. This, I think, is where we fall flat.

So: I think the first thing that would need to be done is to find some things on the Web that describe Kevin's Watch and explain why it is sifgnificant. These would become the references section of the page.

Sorry to be a big, rude downer about this. It's actually a bit fascinating looking into how this stuff happens. I didn't realize it would be so hard until I checked it out.
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Yeah, if no one has talked about you in a way that can be used as an independent reference, then you're not notable.
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

I can contribute links to a blog post or two. And I've mentioned the Watch in a couple of Indies Unlimited articles.

Did the Watch get mentioned at all in conjunction with the press on Fantasy Bedtime Hour?

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

https://www.hearth-myth.com/

Post by Avatar »

wayfriend wrote:So: I think the first thing that would need to be done is to find some things on the Web that describe Kevin's Watch and explain why it is sifgnificant. These would become the references section of the page.

Sorry to be a big, rude downer about this. It's actually a bit fascinating looking into how this stuff happens. I didn't realize it would be so hard until I checked it out.
Nonsense, thanks for putting in the effort to investigate more thoroughly. Good suggestions.
aliantha wrote:And I've mentioned the Watch in a couple of Indies Unlimited articles.
That's good. Can you dig up links to those articles?
Did the Watch get mentioned at all in conjunction with the press on Fantasy Bedtime Hour?
Somebody ask Jenn.

We could also ask Romeo to put up a little something about the Watch on the SRD site, and perhaps Patrick to do the same on his site. Haven't seen him around for some time...not sure if his site is still active, but can try. Maybe we can get hold of Szandor too and get a write-up on The Land.

--A
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Next time you do an Elohimfest, try to get a local newspaper in Albuquerque to write about it. (Has that been done before? I don't think I've seen anyone say so.)

Return to “Announcements + Suggestions + Q&A + Help”