Wosbald's Intro

Hey Newbies, over here first ;) Come on in and tell us more about yourself. IMPORTANT: For new members, please read "New Members Only" BEFORE registering.

Moderators: Savor Dam, Menolly

Wosbald
A Brainwashed Religious Flunkie

Post by Wosbald »

+JMJ+

Thanks, glad to be here.

aliantha wrote:I'm just glad we haven't scared you off yet. Seems like a lot of noobs pop in here to say hi, and then everybody welcomes 'em and we never hear from 'em again. :?
I may go dark now & again (not being that garrulous and all), but that'll prolly be about it.
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Go forth and post. :D

--A
Wosbald

Post by Wosbald »

+JMJ+
Avatar wrote:Go forth and post. :D

--A
44 thousand?!? Wowzers! I see you walk the walk.

And thanx, BTW.

Post by Avatar »

Hahaha, shades of a mis-spent youth. ;) That's 44k in nearly 11 years so... :D

--A
Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Post by Savor Dam »

...so the mean number of posts Av does per year is about what I have done in six years here.

That's what I get for having my misspent youth happen before the internet was invented...
:P
Love prevails.
~ Tracie Mckinney-Hammon

Change is not a process for the impatient.
~ Barbara Reinhold

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul, can always count on the support of Paul.
~ George Bernard Shaw

Post by Avatar »

Hahaha, ok, so I wasn't that young. :D I had a mis-spent adulthood too. ;)

--A
Wosbald

Post by Wosbald »

+JMJ+

Finished TLD. Last Chrons rawks! Best of the three series', IMO. Masterfully constructed. Beautifully arching and inspiringly poignant climax. Perfect.

Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

Congratulations, Wosbald! When I finished TLD I just had to post on the Watch for the first time and talk to other Donaldson fans! Now you can read anything in the Covenant forums and not get spoiled! You can just jump in and discuss it all! WAY TO GO!!!

And now, Mordant's Need is waiting for you... ;)

Post by Avatar »

Wosbald wrote:+JMJ+

Finished TLD. Last Chrons rawks! Best of the three series', IMO. Masterfully constructed. Beautifully arching and inspiringly poignant climax. Perfect.
Hahaha, in the Last Chrons forums, you'll find not everybody agrees with you. :D Personally, it's not my favourite series, but I like it more than some. :D

--A
Wosbald

Post by Wosbald »

+JMJ+
Wosbald wrote:
Hahaha, in the Last Chrons forums, you'll find not everybody agrees with you.
Yeah, I've kinda sussed that already here and there on the board. The vibe is pretty strong.

Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

Avatar wrote:Hahaha, in the Last Chrons forums, you'll find not everybody agrees with you.

This is a very fair warning, indeed! I like the Last Chronicles, like it even better than the Second Chronicles (for one thing, the Ranyhyn and Ramen are back, and I'm kind of biased about that sort of thing :P), but the first TC trilogy remains my favorite.
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

Cord Hurn wrote:but the first TC trilogy remains my favorite.
^ditto^
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Wosbald wrote:+JMJ+
Wosbald wrote:
Hahaha, in the Last Chrons forums, you'll find not everybody agrees with you.
Yeah, I've kinda sussed that already here and there on the board. The vibe is pretty strong.
Commence the counter-vibe!
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

Hahaha, in the Last Chrons forums, you'll find not everybody agrees with you. :D

--A

Yea, but the best people do.

[[hee...couldn't resist...let the raving commence!!!]]
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.

Post by Avatar »

I don't know if I have a specific favourite entire series. My favourite books are spread between them.

--A
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

The first Chronicles is elegant in it's simplicity, and so beautiful.
The Second Chronicles is breathtaking in it's majesty, and so is beautiful.
The Third Chronicles is mesmerizing in it's complexity, and so is beautiful.

Who could pick a favorite?

Wosbald, what characters or scenes did you find intriguing in the Last C's? (Or any of them.) We can bump some threads for you, discuss them.
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

Avatar wrote:I don't know if I have a specific favourite entire series. My favourite books are spread between them.

--A
True...my total ordering isn't exactly aligned with set clumps.
Nevertheless...most of the LC's harshest critics say "we can disagree with the rank of the first six, but it is totally true that ALL the LC's books suck big time."
And that's the reason for "let the raving commence."
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.

Post by Avatar »

Haha, I knew that. :D I can't say I loved the last Chrons, but it had it's moments, and AATE was damn good.

--A
Wosbald

Post by Wosbald »

+JMJ+
wayfriend wrote:The first Chronicles is elegant in it's simplicity, and so beautiful.
The Second Chronicles is breathtaking in it's majesty, and so is beautiful.
The Third Chronicles is mesmerizing in it's complexity, and so is beautiful.

Who could pick a favorite?

Wosbald, what characters or scenes did you find intriguing in the Last C's? (Or any of them.) We can bump some threads for you, discuss them.
I'm not really sure that I'm all that pressed about others not appreciating the LCs as much as I. At least, not enough to feel pressured to furtively spill lots of ink in response. I'm confident that history will adjudge aright.

Additionally, I'm confused by the bizarre and unnecessary reductionistic readings of SRD's writings that seem to inhabit the forums. His works, at least overarchingly, deal with eternal themes and immemorial mysteries, and reducing them does nothing but suck the vivifying element, the tension that is the essence of paradoxical dynamism, right out of the mystery. Every reduction is a betrayal of the very mystery at its very heart.

On top of that, even on the discussions in which I may have something to add, there's just soooo much content. I'm not particularly relishing the prospect of reading 30+ pages of debate in each thread.

In short, I'm sure that I'll find places to jump into the breach. I'm ready to do just that, but at the right time and place, that is.

So, I'm right with ya there, bro. I'll come along. Just give me a little time to find my sealegs.

(But yeah, I think Linden is awesomesauce!)

wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Wosbald wrote:(But yeah, I think Linden is awesomesauce!)
Wait ... Lisa?

: )

Return to “The Summonsing”