hey I gots new stuff

The place for fiction and poetry....

Moderators: deer of the dawn, Furls Fire

sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

hey I gots new stuff

Post by sgt.null »

after not writing anything in a long while I have had a burst of creative energy. please check it out. feel free to comment, criticize, praise, etc.

kevinswatch.ihugny.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=7343

that is Fumblings for various writings

kevinswatch.ihugny.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=22187

and that is Gomer Black (the fictional band) - I need to clean that stuff up, get a better handle on the timeline. I have started writing about the characters' artistic endeavors away from music.

been a rough few months. but I feel recharged now.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
Sorus
The Gap Into Spam

Re: hey I gots new stuff

Post by Sorus »

sgt.null wrote:
been a rough few months. but I feel recharged now.
That's great. I've got a few ideas rattling around that will hopefully mature into something I can unleash on the world at large.

It has been a rough few months, and writing definitely helps.

Oh, a change is coming, feel these doors now closing
Is there no world for tomorrow, if we wait for today?

sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

agreed Sorus. I know I have been depressed. with my brother passing, our dog passing and work sucking.

I do need to keep writing, I know I feel better when I do. and on occasion I like some of the stuff I write.

when will you unleash the Kraken?
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
Sorus
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Sorus »

I woke up in the middle of the night last night with the kraken furiously gnawing at the bars of its cage. (I realize that cephalopods aren't known for their gnawing skills. That doesn't make it any better, nor does the fact that the cage is actually my mind. Being gnawed. Never good. At least it's not zombies.)

It would have been a great opportunity to get some serious stream-of-consciousness stuff done, but that would have meant getting up. In the middle of the night. On a worknight. Likely I would have gotten more sleep if I had, but I didn't.

So it's still there, under the surface. I can't reach it right now, but it won't go away until I give it life. That's all it wants. To spread across the paper. It doesn't care if anyone ever sees it. It doesn't care if I destroy the pages or delete the file afterwards. It only cares about the release from the cage.

sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

I keep notebooks in ever room. I write on the back of paperwork at work. and I have to collate all of this stuff.

since it's just you and me Sorus, I'll let you in on a secret.

if some of my poems seem a bit disjointed, it is because some are compilations of bits and pieces.

most of the stuff is written as a singlet, and I polish that, clean up spelling, syntax, etc. even the Mrs. Lincoln poem was written mostly first draft. I sat down and wrote it stanza by stanza.

kevinswatch.ihugny.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=15346

that is the Mrs. Lincoln thing. the title is from a fake Beatles song somebody used as a lower level hoax. the impetus was Julie asking why, with all my Abe Lincoln themed writings, why I had nothing for his wife.

Mesmer, had rhythm,
the Donners had their
reservations. Gagarin
was terminal. Kafka
was an optimist…
Hannah Dustin had
her reasons… and
Kemmler was shocked.

I am stunned by the fact that I could write something like that with ease, and then go months with nothing.

I should do annotations for that poem alone.

maybe carry a notebook for when inspiration strikes?

and then maybe like me you can wonder what you mean in your writings. I sometimes forget to note the context of what I write. I do lots of "found" stuff. gaining lines, stanzas, poems by stuff I read/see/hear.

Chekhov's Gun

shadows & broken glass
more beautiful than beautiful

the analytical engine
weaves algebraic patterns

she glows like the universe

four oceans - one people

that is an example of something I cobbled from different parts. I have absolutely what the four oceans - one people is supposed to mean. and I originally dropped it from the poem. but I liked the image so much and ended up soldering it back on.

archer.wikia.com/wiki/Chekhov_Gun

and with what Chekhov's Gun is, I thought a part of the poem that has no place in it was perfect. so in the end, I ended up with a sort of poetic pun.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
Sorus
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Sorus »

I like that poem. I used to write more poetry. Would like, someday, to write an entire novel Iliad-style, but it's hard to keep the rhythm. One day I have it and I'm unstoppable, the next I can't get a grip on it.

That's part of what I'm doing here, or in the two-minute thread and such - writing in styles that are out of my comfort zone; first-person and present-tense and whatnot.
sgt.null wrote:and then maybe like me you can wonder what you mean in your writings. I sometimes forget to note the context of what I write. I do lots of "found" stuff. gaining lines, stanzas, poems by stuff I read/see/hear.
I get that too. Stuff just out of nowhere, when I'm tired or just zoning out. Sometimes it comes out of dreams. Sometimes my mind has sticky fingers when it finds something it likes, and I wind up Googling phrases to make sure they weren't 'borrowed'. Sometimes I'm surprised when no matches are found.

Linna Heartbooger
Are you not a sine qua non for a redemption?

Post by Linna Heartbooger »

Since you guys are on the topic of the difficulty of letting the beast out of the cage...
...I wrote something that I haven't posted.

Tenatively, I want to call it, "This Conversation is not Happening."
Its a dialog* ...between a mom and a daughter.
The mom has to admit that there's a word she doesn't really know the real definition of. (the word is "homophobia.")
And she asks her daughter to explain.

Can at least one of you promise to give me honest feedback if I post this (incomplete) dialog?
I'm real ignorant; there's all sorts of risk of foolishness or insensitivity.
(I'm pretty sure that what I've written so far doesn't have issues, but want continuous input.)

* as in, over AOL Instant Messenger or MSN messenger.. texting would be painful to read
"People without hope not only don't write novels, but what is more to the point, they don't read them.
They don't take long looks at anything, because they lack the courage.
The way to despair is to refuse to have any kind of experience, and the novel, of course, is a way to have experience."
-Flannery O'Connor

"In spite of much that militates against quietness there are people who still read books. They are the people who keep me going."
-Elisabeth Elliot, Preface, "A Chance to Die: The Life and Legacy of Amy Carmichael"
Sorus
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Sorus »

Linna Heartlistener wrote:
Can at least one of you promise to give me honest feedback if I post this (incomplete) dialog?
Yes.

Linna Heartbooger
Are you not a sine qua non for a redemption?

Post by Linna Heartbooger »

Yay!
"People without hope not only don't write novels, but what is more to the point, they don't read them.
They don't take long looks at anything, because they lack the courage.
The way to despair is to refuse to have any kind of experience, and the novel, of course, is a way to have experience."
-Flannery O'Connor

"In spite of much that militates against quietness there are people who still read books. They are the people who keep me going."
-Elisabeth Elliot, Preface, "A Chance to Die: The Life and Legacy of Amy Carmichael"
sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

Sorus - the notebook in the bedroom is essential for the stuff I dream. when I can remember / capture it. and sometimes I find that I am not so clever when I google and find that many people have had an idea. :(

Linna - yes as well.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
Sorus
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Sorus »

One of my favorite author's latest books featured a concept similar to something I've used in my writing. Not the same, but close enough that I am hesitant to use it. I know I didn't borrow it (mine came first!) but it would potentially look bad.

sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

sorus - every story has been told. so use the idea. you came up with it independently, make it yours.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
Sorus
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Sorus »

sgt.null wrote:sorus - every story has been told.
I don't believe that to be true. With 7 billion of us there's bound to be a fair amount of overlap, but there have to be some original ideas out there still.

sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

Sorus wrote:
sgt.null wrote:sorus - every story has been told.
I don't believe that to be true. With 7 billion of us there's bound to be a fair amount of overlap, but there have to be some original ideas out there still.
but we have been telling stories for 1000's of years. we can gussy them up any way we like though.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...

Return to “The Hall of Gifts”