Rugby World Cup 2015

Baseball, Basketball, Footbal, Soccer, Curling, Poker, ect...

Moderators: Lord Mhoram, StevieG, hierachy

ussusimiel
The Gap Into Spam
Location: Waterford (milking cows), and sometimes still Dublin, Ireland

Rugby World Cup 2015

Post by ussusimiel »

Anyone else following this? I watched Ireland beat Canada handily enough yesterday. But the game of the competitiion so far was Japan's amazing victory over SA (sorry Av!) last night. The Japanese were just unbelievable. They stayed with the 'Boks all the way and when they had a chance to draw the game at the end with a penalty they chose instead to go for the win. I was shouting at them to take the historic draw, because usually when a team goes for a win like that they make an error and end up losing. But they obviously felt that they were the better team on the night and they went at the South African line for five minutes until they got over. Unbelievable!

u.
Tho' all the maps of blood and flesh
Are posted on the door,
There's no one who has told us yet
What Boogie Street is for.
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Yeah, ouch. :lol: Luckily I do not concern myself over much with Rugby, (or any sport really), but there were many red faces and hilarious meme's over the weekend. :D

Must have felt really good for them. This makes them, I believe, only the 2nd team in the world to have won more games against us than they have lost. (This was the first time they ever played SA.)

--A
ussusimiel
The Gap Into Spam

Post by ussusimiel »

The competition is really giving value for money so far. The game between England and Wales last night was absolutely brilliant for this stage of the tournament, normally you have to wait until the knockout stages to see such intensity. I almost feel sorry for England, they were clearly the better team on the night, but Wales stuck in there and through their immaculate goal-kicking and a piece of genius/luck came up with the winning try at the very end. England had an opportunity to draw the game but inexplicably went for the win and then made a right mess of their lineout. England are not out of it yet, we don't really know where Australia are and if England really put it up to them they could cause an upset.

Ireland won their game today handily enough and are setting themselves up really well for the crunch game against France.

u.
Are posted on the door,

Post by Avatar »

Well, Japan inexplicably went for the win against us, and it worked for them... ;)

In other news, SA marginally redeemed by crushing poor Samoa, 44-6. Apparently making 6 tries gave them a bonus point or something? Top of the pool despite the loss to Japan.

--A
ussusimiel
The Gap Into Spam

Post by ussusimiel »

Not any more as Scotland have 10 points after beating the USA yesterday (SA have 7, they picked up two bonus points along the way, one for being within 7 points of Japan and another for scoring 4+ tries against Samoa). I saw some of the SA v Samoa game and the 'Boks looked highly motivated and impressive (after getting an absolute roasting in the media, no doubt). They are definitely back as contenders for the title and will be hard to beat during the later stages of the competition.

u.
Are posted on the door,

Post by Avatar »

If the coach realises that the strategy he used against Samoa won't work on everybody... :lol:

--A

Post by Avatar »

Well, SA vs Scotland today, I think we need to win to be guaranteed a place in the next round. Bookies are saying we will, but you never can tell.

(On that note, how come the UK gets to field 3 teams in world cups? :D )

--A
ussusimiel
The Gap Into Spam

Post by ussusimiel »

Avatar wrote:Well, SA vs Scotland today, I think we need to win to be guaranteed a place in the next round. Bookies are saying we will, but you never can tell.
SA should win handily enough alright. Scotland are having a good tournament so far, but they are the real lightweights from the UK and Ireland group.
Avatar wrote:(On that note, how come the UK gets to field 3 teams in world cups? :D )
It's based on where you finish in previous World Cups. All the teams who place third in the groups automatically qualify for the subsequent World Cup. And it should also be noted that a much smaller group of islands also provides four teams: NZ, Tonga, Samoa and Fiji! :lol:

Absolutely massive game tonight between England and Australia. If England are beaten then you would have the unprecedented situation of the hosts going out at the group stage. The organisers (IRB) won't want that as it may damage attendances for later games.

u.
Are posted on the door,

Post by Avatar »

Happened to Brazil in the proper world cup... :lol:

Anyway, those others you mentioned are all sovereign countries. Scotland and Wales are not. (And how does it work anyway...QEII cheers for England, Charles for Wales, and Phillip for Scotland? :lol: )

--A
ussusimiel
The Gap Into Spam

Post by ussusimiel »

Avatar wrote:Happened to Brazil in the proper world cup... :lol:

Anyway, those others you mentioned are all sovereign countries. Scotland and Wales are not. (And how does it work anyway...QEII cheers for England, Charles for Wales, and Phillip for Scotland? :lol: )
Brazil were hammered by Germany in the semi-final, but they did make it out of their group (but, they were so crap, I don't blame you for thinking they didn't :lol:)

Yep, the different royals cheer for their own kingdoms. You see the two princes, Harry and William wearing different jerseys at the games (I only know 'cos I follow the rugby, not the royals! :lol:)

u.
Are posted on the door,

Post by Avatar »

Oh, my bad, it was defending champions Spain who went out in the group stage, not the hosts.

So, UK out now? Or can they still get through?

We beat Scotland, Japan beat Samoa. I see we're playing the US this week.

--A
ussusimiel
The Gap Into Spam

Post by ussusimiel »

Yep, the Brits's are out. I feel a bit sorry for them, they were in a tough group and a couple of bad decisions against Wales undid them. The knockout stages would be more interesting with them still in it.

SA are through at this stage I would say and it's a dogfight between Scotland and Japan to see who goes through. Japan made bits of Samoa, but they didn't go for the bonus point at the end and that may cost them dear yet.

Ireland sqeezed past Italy yesterday and importantly came through with no injuries. While the team looked flat, Italy played exceptionally well, and our hope is that the Irish coach is getting them primed for the really big match against France next weekend. If we can beat the French we stand a really good chance of making the semifinals for the first time.

u.
Are posted on the door,
StevieG
Andelanian

Post by StevieG »

I read somewhere that it's raining particularly heavily in England at the moment due to the Welsh pissing themselves laughing so much :D

Anyway, it's getting interesting now!
Hugs and sh!t ~ lucimay

I think you're right ~ TheFallen

Post by Avatar »

I'm sorta hoping Japan will squeeze through. :D

--A

Post by Avatar »

64-0 against the US. A determined defence fell apart a bit in the second half, but to their credit, they didn't give up.

Through to the next round. Now usually, I would support Scotland, but in this case I think Japan really deserves to go through, so rooting for them, insofar as I ever do for anybody, anyway. :lol:

--A
ussusimiel
The Gap Into Spam

Post by ussusimiel »

Well, Ireland did it today, they beat France 24-9. It was a great game for us even if we ended up with some fairly serious injuries. We played really well and the result was never truly in doubt as France performed as poorly as they have throughout the tournament. Still, you can never know how France will play, and it's a great achievement to finally beat them in a World Cup (they have beaten us three times before in the competition). We have Argentina next in the quarter final and that is likely to be a much tougher match, but it's certainly far better than having to face the All-Blacks.

Scotland got through in the end, but it was a close thing. Pity the Japanese didn't make it, as it would have added something new to the quarterfinal mix.

u.
Are posted on the door,

Post by Avatar »

Agreed. And we have Wales next, IIRC.

--A
ussusimiel
The Gap Into Spam

Post by ussusimiel »

Yep, you do! Should be a cracker of a match. Wales have been brilliant so far in the tournament and it will be the first real test for SA since their defeat to Japan. We'll get to see if they are actual contenders. If Wales hadn't suffered so many injuries I would now have them as real outside contenders for the title. As it is I think SA will see them off, but I think they are likely to get a real scare along the way.

Ireland are still recovering from yesterday's match and we have lost three first team players to injury and another is likely to be cited for a punch and so be suspended for the game against Argentina. I think that game will be somewhat similar to the SA v Wales game; we will be too strong for them in the end but we'll have a real fight along the way.

u.
Are posted on the door,

Post by Avatar »

Sounds good. :D They beat us last time we played though. :D

--A
ussusimiel
The Gap Into Spam

Post by ussusimiel »

Good and bad news for the Irish team today. The bad news is that one of our greatest ever players, Paul O'Connell, is out of the tournament and that means that his international career is also finished, as he was due to retire after the World Cup in any case. The good news is that our out-half, Johnny Sexton, who had to go off injured during the French game, is likely to be able to play against Argentina. That makes a big difference to our chances as he is probably our best player.

u.
Are posted on the door,

Return to “Sports”