Crimson Peak

The KWMdB.

Moderators: dANdeLION, sgt.null

peter
The Gap Into Spam

Crimson Peak

Post by peter »

Just watched the trailer for this (well reviewed in the UK) ghost story film and it looked atrocious! All CGI and ham acting with every old haunted house cliché in the book thrown in. Can't wait to see it! Anyone got anything to report on it. I'm a G del Torro fan with Pans Labyrinth being right up there in my book and Hellboy 2 being a favourite as well. This looks like a truly OTT slice of guilty pleasure!
The truth is a Lion and does not need protection. Once free it will look after itself.

....and the glory of the world becomes less than it was....
'Have we not served you well'
'Of course - you know you have.'
'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

I looked into it because my daughter wanted to see it. I said 'no' (for the sex).

This seems like a movie that, if you go into it with the wrong expectations, you might not like it. For example, it's not a horror movie, so don't go looking for one. Haven't seen it, but this was the sense I got from reviews.

I was delighted to discover I enjoyed The Woman in Black. CP seems like it's of that flavor. Half period piece, half suspense drama, and half thriller.

Like Pacific Rim, GDT has been trying to make CP for a long time. I think it shows, but like many vanity projects, it's not a critical success.
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

It's very much a gothic story, not horror. There are ghosts, but they're not the point of the story. There are some really gorgeous sets, a lot of work's been put into the way the film looks. It was a little slow for me, though.
Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

Ms. Lebwohl really really really wanted to go see this but the weekend we had planned for it our plans got changed. At this point, she'll have to wait for it to come out on disc.
The Tank is gone and now so am I.
Frostheart Grueburn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Frostheart Grueburn »

Saw this last week with a friend, and we both enjoyed it. Allerdale Hall's designs quite impressed me; perhaps some clichés littering the plot, but they're not distracting. If one habitually dresses in black lace and skulls, they'll appreciate the atmosphere of gothic gloom and doom (and other matters ending in oom) even more. ;)
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

Nice positive sort of feedback here. I'd heard it was more Gothic tale than horror and I'm fine with that. In fact it makes it more appealing than less!
The truth is a Lion and does not need protection. Once free it will look after itself.

'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
Obi-Wan Nihilo
Still Not Buying It

Post by Obi-Wan Nihilo »

The wife and I saw it (such was the price of Spectre). We agreed that it was absolute shite.
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

A double opinion I cannot but respect! My expectations are adjusted accordingly.

'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

Ok - saw it tonight and while it wasn't totally execrable (for me at least) neither was it a great success. I find the actual visual tone ( how do you describe how the filming looks) that del Torro uses quite difficult..... almost like an extended slick TV advert, and it doesn't really work for me. I count Pans Labyrinth among my favourite films, but this has to be an also ran I'm afraid.

'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard

Return to “Flicks”