The Expanse

Talk about all your favorite series, shows, programs, news anchorpeople, ect.

Moderators: Cagliostro, sgt.null

MsMary
The Gap Into Spam

The Expanse

Post by MsMary »

Anyone watching this space opera TV show based on Leviathan Wakes and the subsequent Expanse stories? Pretty good so far. You can watch the first 4 episodes on the Syfy channel's website:

www.syfy.com/theexpanse/episodes
"The Cheat is GROUNDED! We had that lightswitch installed for you so you could turn the lights on and off, not so you could throw lightswitch raves!"
- I'm always all right.
- Is all right special Time Lord code for really not all right at all?

- You're all irresponsible fools!
- The Doctor: But we're very experienced irresponsible fools.

THOOLAH member since 2005

EZBoard Survivor
MsMary
The Gap Into Spam

Post by MsMary »

I finished watching the first 4 episodes of this show and it's fantastic. Can't wait for more.
"The Cheat is GROUNDED! We had that lightswitch installed for you so you could turn the lights on and off, not so you could throw lightswitch raves!"
- I'm always all right.

EZBoard Survivor
MsMary
The Gap Into Spam

Post by MsMary »

Just wondering if anyone else has watched this. It's a really great show.
- I'm always all right.

EZBoard Survivor
MsMary
The Gap Into Spam

Post by MsMary »

Finished the last episode of The Expanse season 1. Pretty exciting show. Can't believe I have to wait a whole year for season 2.
- I'm always all right.

EZBoard Survivor
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

I've heard a lot of good things, but I don't know how to actually watch this in the UK.
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

I thought the first episode was confusing due to the poor writing, but I have to say I'm intrigued enough to keep watching.
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

I stopped watching after episode 4. Just because I had no real urge to.
MsMary
The Gap Into Spam

Post by MsMary »

I think it's probably harder to follow if you haven't read the books. I read all the books quite a while ago. I thought the TV series was good.

The books are definitely worth reading and include quite a bit more detail.
- I'm always all right.

EZBoard Survivor
Sorus
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Sorus »

Just finished the first book. Haven't watched the series yet, but I'm curious about it. Do you recommend finishing the book series first?

Oh, a change is coming, feel these doors now closing
Is there no world for tomorrow, if we wait for today?

aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

Watched a couple of episodes (i have not read the books) and wasn't drawn in. Something about the dialog, interior sets (exterior FX is quite good) and acting made me start to question why I was still watching and sure enough I gave up. I really like the premise though and believe if the production had a different feel I'd be a regular viewer.
"If you can't tell the difference, what difference does it make?"

"There is tic and toc in atomic" - Neil Peart
MsMary
The Gap Into Spam

Post by MsMary »

Sorus wrote:Just finished the first book. Haven't watched the series yet, but I'm curious about it. Do you recommend finishing the book series first?
Not necessarily. Though I personally have read all the books and novellas associated with The Expanse universe.
- I'm always all right.

EZBoard Survivor
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

Disclaimer: I've never read the books (they're on the list, along with the Witcher books).

I love this show. Yeah, the first season can be a little hard to push through, but man... The last season was just awesome, and I can't wait until the next one (even if I have to renew my Amazon Prime).
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
lucimay
Lord

Post by lucimay »

[Syl] wrote:Disclaimer: I've never read the books (they're on the list, along with the Witcher books).

I love this show. Yeah, the first season can be a little hard to push through, but man... The last season was just awesome, and I can't wait until the next one (even if I have to renew my Amazon Prime).
I don't know how much time you have, considering work and kids and marriage and such activities of daily living, but if you have a commute to work, or some block of time where you're doing something that you could have headphones on and listen, I HIGHLY recommend listening to the books on audible. for one thing, the guy who reads them, Jefferson Mays, is just freaking BRILLIANT. he does the voice inflections without sounding weird, i.e. women's voices. and you just don't want to miss Chrisjen Avasarala's cursing!!(she curses WAY more in the books!) NO ONE can curse like Avasarala!! hahahaha. for another thing, the show, good as it is, and it's good, a really great adaptation, it's all squished together so of course, you miss a lot just only having seen the show. I had read the series (well the first 6 books, up through Babylon's ashes) twice before I saw the first season of the show and I still thought it was an excellent adaptation. THEN I listened to it on audible...omg...sooo so good. Jefferson Mays is so good. I have not read the most recent book (the 7th) nor have I seen season 2 of the show. I totally want to listen to it again before watching more of the show! lol!!
anyway, that's my endorsement.
I love this series.
prior to reading it, I thought The Gap was as good as it gets for space opera. (or the first 3 books of Foundation)
but the expanse has taken that spot in my personal cannon!! :D
you're more advanced than a cockroach,
have you ever tried explaining yourself
to one of them?
~ alan bates, the mothman prophecies

i've had this with actors before, on the set,
where they get upset about the [size of my]
trailer, and i'm always like...take my trailer,
cause... i'm from Kentucky
and that's not what we brag about.
~ george clooney, inside the actor's studio

a straight edge for legends at
the fold - searching for our
lost cities of gold. burnt tar,
gravel pits. sixteen gears switch.
Haphazard Lucy strolls by.
~ dennis r wood ~
lucimay
Lord

Post by lucimay »

I'm Murrin wrote:I've heard a lot of good things, but I don't know how to actually watch this in the UK.
you should be able to watch it on Amazon Prime now Murrin, it's moved from SyFy to Amazon.

Sorus wrote:Just finished the first book. Haven't watched the series yet, but I'm curious about it. Do you recommend finishing the book series first?
but yes, i'd highly recommend reading (or listening to it on audible, see my post above regarding that) the series before watching the tv show.
it's written in sort of trilogies,
Leviathan Wakes, Caliban's War, and Abaddon's Gate comprising the first "section" of the series and I think the first 3 or 4 seasons are based on those 3 books. they do pretty good job sort of condensing the story in my opinion.
(surprised that DLB found the writing for the tv series "poor" because I thought they did a great job)

the real reason I bumped this thread is because i'm listening again to the novels on audible and i'm finding that, this time through, there are a lot of thoughts about the ideas and themes in the books that I'd really like to discuss, or see what other people think about them particularly some of the stuff that pertains to a couple of the threads in the Close (i.e. in the most current book one of the characters says "consciousness is a property of matter") and there are other themes as well, there are 3 political sort of factions, Mars, Earth, and The Belt that are at odds with one another and also themes of "other" and what is "other" and what is "human", etc. this is probably my 4th or 5th time through these books and it's taken this many readings (listenings) for me to get past the characters and the story to some of the themes and ideas so I was wishing for other people to talk about that stuff with. :D SO GET READING YOUSE!! :biggrin:
you're more advanced than a cockroach,
have you ever tried explaining yourself
to one of them?
~ alan bates, the mothman prophecies

i've had this with actors before, on the set,
where they get upset about the [size of my]
trailer, and i'm always like...take my trailer,
cause... i'm from Kentucky
and that's not what we brag about.
~ george clooney, inside the actor's studio

a straight edge for legends at
the fold - searching for our
lost cities of gold. burnt tar,
gravel pits. sixteen gears switch.
Haphazard Lucy strolls by.
~ dennis r wood ~
MsMary
The Gap Into Spam

Post by MsMary »

I've read them all except for the most recent novel.
- I'm always all right.

EZBoard Survivor

Return to “TV Shows”