Doctor Strange

The KWMdB.

Moderators: dANdeLION, sgt.null

Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Doctor Strange

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

I know there was already a Doctor Strange movie from the late 70s/early 80s--I have seen it before--but I am glad he is getting a reboot into the MCU here. The first trailer just dropped yesterday. The phrase "visually stunning" does not begin to do justice to the visual effects. There is no way that the Reality Stone doesn't factor in to this, but idle speculation among eagle-eye fans who spend their time looking at movies frame-by-frame already identified the Eye of Agamotto as being in Odin's Vault, so how does Strange end up with it...or does he? He has to--the Eye is a central part of the character concept. At least we know that the Eye is not the Reality Stone--Volstagg told the Collector that keeping two Stones together was unwise so that means that Asgard has only one, the Tesseract.

Anyway...watch the trailer then drool in anticipation for this movie. Even the Vishanti want to go see this.

They don't list her character in the credits but Rachel McAdams has to be Clea. Chiwetel Ejiofor is Baron Mordo so that means the currently-uncredited Mads Mikkelsen must be Dormmamu. I see that Marvel is finally getting around to using Scott Adkins in a role--the man moves like a cat--but he isn't Wong so he must be one of the Ancient One's other pupils, or something like that.

I still disagree with other people's assessments. The Tesseract is Space, Loki's Scepter is Mind (no one disagrees with these), but the Orb from GotG is the Soul Gem and the Aether is the Power Gem.
The Tank is gone and now so am I.
dANdeLION
Lord

Post by dANdeLION »

Wow, looks cool!
Dandelion don't tell no lies
Dandelion will make you wise
Tell me if she laughs or cries
Blow away dandelion

I'm afraid there's no denying
I'm just a dandelion
a fate I don't deserve.

High priest of THOOOTP

:hobbes: *

* This post carries Jay's seal of approval
aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

I agree. It does look cool!
"If you can't tell the difference, what difference does it make?"

"There is tic and toc in atomic" - Neil Peart
dANdeLION
Lord

Post by dANdeLION »

Good. It's settled, then.
Blow away dandelion

I'm just a dandelion
a fate I don't deserve.

High priest of THOOOTP

aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

Not quite.

dANdeLION
Lord

Post by dANdeLION »

Wha....?
Blow away dandelion

I'm just a dandelion
a fate I don't deserve.

High priest of THOOOTP

aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

I know right?

dANdeLION
Lord

Post by dANdeLION »

Mind=blown
Blow away dandelion

I'm just a dandelion
a fate I don't deserve.

High priest of THOOOTP

aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

Universe imploded.

sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Post by sgt.null »

looks promising. I am glad they are using Baron Mordo. and I hope we see some vistas that remind us of Ditko.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

They had to use Mordo--the two characters are linked, having had the same mentor. The cast list is still hiding the character identities of Rachel MacAdams and Mads Mikkelsen but I still think they are playing Clea and Dormammu.
dANdeLION
Lord

Post by dANdeLION »

sgt.null wrote:looks promising. I am glad they are using Baron Mordo. and I hope we see some vistas that remind us of Ditko.
While I prefer the art of Colon, Smith, Brunner, Rogers and Golden on Dr. Strange, I can't deny Ditko's realms were awesome.
Blow away dandelion

I'm just a dandelion
a fate I don't deserve.

High priest of THOOOTP

sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Post by sgt.null »

hoping it does well so we can see more Marvel magic users in the sequel.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

:lol: I have no idea what any of that is about, but damn the movie looks cool! (I've been fortunate enough to have visited that temple in Katmandu, to have walked those streets and this is an added bonus to whet my appetite.)
The truth is a Lion and does not need protection. Once free it will look after itself.

....and the glory of the world becomes less than it was....
'Have we not served you well'
'Of course - you know you have.'
'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

A quick-and-dirty history lesson, then. Dr. Stephen Strange is a brilliant surgeon but is highly arrogant--he is highly skilled, he knows it, and he makes sure that you know it, too. After a party one night he gets into a car accident and suffers nerve damage to his hands; this ends his surgery career and he refuses to "demean" himself by becoming a consulting physician. Having lost his entire life, in his disillusionment he begins to spiral down into despair until he hears someone mention a person called the Ancient One who can heal almost any injury. He sets out to find the Ancient One and winds up succeeding; however, in doing so he ends up being trained in magic in order to become the Sorcerer Supreme, charged with protecting this dimension from extradimensional threats.

I thought that the second trailer would have dropped by now but it hasn't. *sigh* It needs to be soon--the movie opens 4 November.

Trivia/fan service: after wrapping shooting, Benedict Cumberbatch entered a nearby comic book shop--in full makeup and costume--to browse and buy Dr. Strange comic books as well as give out a few autographs.

Sarge, we have already been introduced to magic in the MCU. We learn in Thor that magic and Asgardian science are indistinguishable, they are one and the same. The same applies here--magic is being presented as the ability to tap into and/or manipulate the quantum field to produce the desired effect. We have also already seen the quantum realm of magic--Scott Lang went there in Ant Man when he disabled his suit's regulator. On a side note--I was certain that he was going to find the Wasp there and bring her back, but that probably would have complicated things for Hank too much, given that his wife would not have aged any.
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

Hashi Lebwohl wrote:Trivia/fan service: after wrapping shooting, Benedict Cumberbatch entered a nearby comic book shop--in full makeup and costume--to browse and buy Dr. Strange comic books as well as give out a few autographs.
I love Benedict; he seems like such a genuine guy. Absolute professional, too.
Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

SDCC just keeps on giving. Trailer number 2 for Dr. Strange.

What can I say? This is the movie I have been looking forward to for a long time and is, for me, the movie I have most anticipated since...I don't remember when.

Mordo is not the villain in this movie, as least as far as I can tell from the trailer. It also confirms that magic is the harnessing of energy (quantum energy, even though they don't use that word) to reshape reality. The effects are the most eye-astounding I have seen in a long, long time.

Mordo hands Strange a piece of paper with the word "shamballa" written on it. "What's this? My mantra?", Strange asks. "The wi-fi password", Mordo tells him, "we're not savages." That's funny.

Definitely in the MCU, as well--Avengers Tower at 1:42. Also, he is wearing the Eye of Agamotto.
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

Shamballa was a alternative name for Shangri-la no? Is this it's meaning here?
The truth is a Lion and does not need protection. Once free it will look after itself.

....and the glory of the world becomes less than it was....
'Have we not served you well'
'Of course - you know you have.'
'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

Yes, both refer to the same mythical place.

In the trailer, notice the kaleidoscope-type effects that magic has on reality. That is the same sort of effect we saw in the quantum realm in Ant Man.
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

Hashi Lebwohl wrote:SDCC just keeps on giving. Trailer number 2 for Dr. Strange.

What can I say? This is the movie I have been looking forward to for a long time and is, for me, the movie I have most anticipated since...I don't remember when.

Mordo is not the villain in this movie, as least as far as I can tell from the trailer. It also confirms that magic is the harnessing of energy (quantum energy, even though they don't use that word) to reshape reality. The effects are the most eye-astounding I have seen in a long, long time.

Mordo hands Strange a piece of paper with the word "shamballa" written on it. "What's this? My mantra?", Strange asks. "The wi-fi password", Mordo tells him, "we're not savages." That's funny.

Definitely in the MCU, as well--Avengers Tower at 1:42. Also, he is wearing the Eye of Agamotto.
This link took me to the Wonder Woman trailer. Here's one for Dr. Strange:

https://youtu.be/HSzx-zryEgM

Return to “Flicks”