Video Game Music

Zap! Woo hoo! High score! Computers, Consoles, and everything electronic.

Moderators: Cagliostro, lucimay, Creator, Sorus

Worm of Despite
Lord

Video Game Music

Post by Worm of Despite »

What's your favorite video game music? The music in A Link to the Past always takes me back . . . very stunning music. The Final Fantasy series, though, I believe, has bar none the best catalogue of music, as far as video game series go. That said, here's my four favorite compositions, all by the legendary Nobuo Uematsu, who is usually called in for all the Final Fantasy scores. For those who don't know of him, Nobuo Uematsu is like the John Williams of the video game world.

"Terra", Final Fantasy VI
www.rpgamer.com/games/ff/ff6/sounds/midi/terra1.mid

"The Prelude", Final Fantasy VI
www.rpgamer.com/games/ff/ff6/sounds/midi/ff3prlde.mid

"Main Theme", Final Fantasy IV
www.rpgamer.com/games/ff/ff4/sounds/midi/ff2world.mid

"Aerith's Theme", Final Fantasy VII
www.rpgamer.com/games/ff/ff7/sounds/midi/aerith.mid
"I support the destruction of the Think-Tank." - Avatar, August 2008
CovenantJr
Lord

Post by CovenantJr »

Tch, you have clearly overlooked my under-attended and far less comprehensive Game Music topic further down the page :roll: :| Aside from the Final Fantasy series, I would say Streetfighter 2, Doom, the Mystical Ninja/Goemon series, Tenchu, Blood Omen and it's sequel Soul Reaver all have excellent music
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

I don't pay much attention to the music, but one that stuck in my mind was the theme during the Trance Kuja battle at the end of FFIX - I don't know if it was a new piece or another taken from an earlier FF, though (FFIX was full of earlier FF references, along with monsters, bosses, and music from those games)
Revan
Drool Rockworm's Servant

Post by Revan »

I liked Forsaken music... Made up for the crap game anyways... :D
Nav
Lord

Post by Nav »

GTA Vice City.

If you liked Spandau Ballet, you'll love this!
Q. Why do Communists drink herbal tea?
A. Because proper tea is theft.
CovenantJr
Lord

Post by CovenantJr »

Secret of Mana
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

Thief music is excellent.
Waddley wrote:your Highness Sir Dr. Loredoctor, PhD, Esq, the Magnificent, First of his name, Second Cousin of Dragons, White-Gold-Plate Wielder!
Nav
Lord

Post by Nav »

I think Xenon 2 was the first game I remember with really good music. Funnily enough I was watching an old episode of Gamesmaster on Challenge (I swear they'll buy anything) the other day, and they were playing X2.
fightingmyinstincts
Giantfriend

re

Post by fightingmyinstincts »

WOW! I didn't even know we had a one a these forums....But hey, what about Castlevania music? It is utterly cool....I mean, Bloody Tears? C'mon! All castlevania games have good music....whether or not they are good GAMES is a different story...*cough* Nintendo 64 *cough*
"Well of course I understand. You live forever because your pure, sinless service is utterly and indomitably unballasted by any weight or dross of mere human weakness. Ah, the advantages of clean living."
TC to Bannor, LFB
Encryptic
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Encryptic »

Ultima Underworld: Very moody and atmospheric stuff that went very well with the game. I used to love playing UU just for the music.

The Doom series: Some of the music is annoying/mediocre at best but there's a few tracks that are really good and go well with the game.

The Metroid series: Great stuff, especially the music on the original game.

Total Annihilation: Who would've thought classical music and blowing stuff up would go so well together? ;)

Dune II: Great music, but one of the coolest things about the music was that the game would play really slow stuff during the slow stages of a mission, then start playing fast frantic-sounding stuff when you would get attacked.
Revan
Drool Rockworm's Servant

Post by Revan »

Nav wrote:GTA Vice City.
I agree! I loved that game in all ways 8)
CovenantJr
Lord

Post by CovenantJr »

I recently borrowed Vice City from my brother. It is indeed a fantastic game, and it had some great tunes. I mostly listen to VRock or, occasionally, KChat. But I sometimes put other stations on, for a bit of Michael Jackson or Toto 8)
Nav
Lord

Post by Nav »

I'm more of a Wave FM man myself. I'm always listening out for Never Say Never by Romeo Void. Before I played Vice City I thought the Queens of the Stone Age version was the original. The chat stations are good too, I like the guy who wants to separate Florida from the mainland (admittedly, I only like the idea because it would render Florida vulnerable to a massed torpedo assault).

Has anyone played Burnout 2: Point of Impact? What Encryptic said about Dune II reminded me of it. There's pretty good music all the way through, but the best thing is that whenever you engage turbo boost, the music gets more frantic. It really adds to the scariness. The first Burnout had better music though, really funky, original tunes. I recorded them to mini-disc in fact.
Revan
Drool Rockworm's Servant

Post by Revan »

I loved VCPR. It's so funny :lol:
Lord Callindrill
Stonedownor

Post by Lord Callindrill »

As a PC gamer from way back, here are my picks for best music:

Homeworld: From the magnificent choral rendering of Samuel Barber's Agnus Dei in the intro to the stirring combat themes, the game was a triumph (with the possible exception of the rather bland finale song by "Yes"). Remember the first time the Turanic Raiders hit your fleet? Spectacular music!

Star Control 2: Not many of the under-30 brigade will remember this one, but its music was fantastic. My particular favorites were the various themes that played as you outfitted your ship at the starbase.

Crusader: No Remorse/Regret: Another pair of classics from circa 1996/97. The harsh, techo-themed sountrack tied in perfectly with the combat action.

Thief: The Dark Project: I don't think any other game has better captured its overall environment in sound and music than Thief.

Lord C, who thinks that great speakers are the most underrated component in a fine gaming experience.
"If we must suffer and die without hope then we will do so, but we will not despair."
hierachy
Lord

Post by hierachy »

roll cage
CovenantJr
Lord

Post by CovenantJr »

The music for boss fights in Hybrid Heaven is pretty chouette. Really stirs up the feel of a solitary human facing an immensely powerful foe.
Nathan
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Nathan »

I love the intro music from FFX ("To Zanarkand") and the intro music from Tenchu Wrath of heaven, I don't know what this is called, could anyone help me, I'd like to be able to hear it without turning on the ps2...
CovenantJr
Lord

Post by CovenantJr »

I can't help with that, sorry. I've got Tenchu 1 & 2 (and they both have good music) but I haven't bought any since 2.

I tried to buy a FFVII soundtrack cd on ebay recently, but it went for about £35, and I wasn't willing to pay that
hierachy
Lord

Post by hierachy »

Nathan wrote:I love the intro music from FFX ("To Zanarkand") and the intro music from Tenchu Wrath of heaven, I don't know what this is called, could anyone help me, I'd like to be able to hear it without turning on the ps2...
Yeah! "To Zanarkand" is cool. 8)

Return to “PC & Console Games”