A dark and Hungry God Arises

The Gap Into Online Internet Conversation

Moderators: Cord Hurn, Cagliostro

Vain
Nom

A dark and Hungry God Arises

Post by Vain »

This particular book is frustrating and compelling. Frustrating in the sense that it's an extremely slow read. Compeeling in the sense that I'm darn sure SOMETHING is going to happen. I'm half way through it so somebody please reassure me that I won't want to burn it after I've finished reading it ;)
MsMary
The Gap Into Spam

Post by MsMary »

Keep reading... :)

~MsMary~ who is halfway through This Day All Gods Die

Edit: I am becoming convinced that SRD specializes in writing books that are torture to read, but which are so compelling you can't stop reading them. :P :lol: ~MM~
Last edited by MsMary on Fri Oct 04, 2002 2:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The Cheat is GROUNDED! We had that lightswitch installed for you so you could turn the lights on and off, not so you could throw lightswitch raves!"
- I'm always all right.
- Is all right special Time Lord code for really not all right at all?

- You're all irresponsible fools!
- The Doctor: But we're very experienced irresponsible fools.

THOOLAH member since 2005

EZBoard Survivor
Hile Troy
Woodhelvennin

Post by Hile Troy »

MsMaryMalone wrote: ~MsMary~ who is halfway through This Day All Gods Must Die

Edit: I am becoming convinced that SRD specializes in writing books that are torture to read, but which are so compelling you can't stop reading them. :p :lol ~MM~
Yep, keep reading... :D

Off-topic confession- The very first time I gave SRD a try was LFB and had given up. Then as I picked up another book written by another author, a voice in my head kept compelling me to back to LFB. Reminding me that the new book was nothing but an unoriginal hackjob of a typical cookie-cutter lot and that SRD's book was written far more passionately and his world was far too fascinating. Boy, am I glad I listened to this innervoice. Very rewarding. ;)
Vain
Nom

Post by Vain »

I'll say this much - those informative interludes only serve to aggravate the situation :)
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

I completely agree, Vain. The interludes can interrupt things. I enjoy the ones about the Amnion, but some of them just annoy me - Warden's speech to the graduates is a bit melodramatic, and embarassing. Anyway, the last hundred pages of a Dark and Hungry God arises is fantastic - well worth the wait.
robo
Ramen

Post by robo »

Yep, the build-up is slower than the rest but it ends with a bang just like all the other books except the first one.
Vain
Nom

Post by Vain »

Whew !! That definitely did end with a bang and a hint of the mysterious.

Now it's Chaos and Order and I note it's even longer than all the others :)

I can only imagine that This Day All Gods Die must be a monster ;)

The Tme Out critic said it very well:
Intrigue, deception, betrayal...dizzyingly complex
DirectorDios
<i>Elohim</i>

Re: Whew !! That definitely did end with a bang

Post by DirectorDios »

Vain...It's been nearly two months, one must assume you have finished, "This Day All Gods Die" - What did you think of the series as a whole? Since you've recently read the series, I'm just curious about anothers point of view.
Variol Farseer
Bloodguard

Post by Variol Farseer »

Vain wrote:I'll say this much - those informative interludes only serve to aggravate the situation :)
They're pretty bad cases of infodump, yeah. And the name SRD gives to them to set them off from the actual chapters -- Ancillary Documentation, forsooth! One of the rare moments in The Gap where SRD succumbed to his taste for pretentious verbosity.

At least it wasn't Roynishly Crepuscular Tintinnabulations from the Ebon Grimoire of the Viridian Catafalque.
Nav
Lord

Post by Nav »

I actually quite liked the Ancillary Documentation, it was a good way to inform the reader of how the technology of the series worked without the generic sci-fi device of haveing a character who knows absolutely nothing and has to have every aspect of the technology explained to them by someone.

As for A Dark and Hungry God Arises, it was probably my favourite book of the five. Billingate was a fantastic concept, and tremendously well thought out. The self-mutilation show still makes me wince just to think about it. The book also introduces Sorus, and we begin to see what the cyborg Angus is capable of, and witness the start of his bizarre transformation, as well as the beginning of Nick's downfall.
Q. Why do Communists drink herbal tea?
A. Because proper tea is theft.
DirectorDios
<i>Elohim</i>

Re: Ancillary Documentation

Post by DirectorDios »

I've got to agree with Navarino, I too enjoyed the Ancillary Documention in the later Gap books. I particularly enjoyed the narrative on "Chaos vs. Order" as well as the technical aspects of the Gap Drone. Quite well thought out in my opinion
Landwaster
The Gap Into Spam

Re: Ancillary Documentation

Post by Landwaster »

DirectorDios wrote:I've got to agree with Navarino, I too enjoyed the Ancillary Documention in the later Gap books. I particularly enjoyed the narrative on "Chaos vs. Order" as well as the technical aspects of the Gap Drone. Quite well thought out in my opinion
The docs got a bit wordy for me, and dragged on a little, but I don't think I'd prefer them removed.
Do you think I like being this dangerous?
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

Yeah, agreed.
Waddley wrote:your Highness Sir Dr. Loredoctor, PhD, Esq, the Magnificent, First of his name, Second Cousin of Dragons, White-Gold-Plate Wielder!
Lord Doom
Woodhelvennin

Post by Lord Doom »

The second time I read the series it seems so much faster and better (since I skipped ALL of the documentation)
amanibhavam
The Gap Into Spam

Post by amanibhavam »

I liked the Ancillary Documentation. They provided a nice insight into the technical and social background SRD had imagined without interrupting the main storyline with lengthy descriptions and unnecessary explanations by the characters themselves. This way they could just refer to things as they were natural for them.
The speech of Dios was a bit tedious, yes, but I think SRD needed it to demonstrate Dios' character.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
love is the shadow that ripens the wine

Languages of Middle-Earth community on Google Plus
Pink Floyd community on Google Plus
Lord Doom
Woodhelvennin

Post by Lord Doom »

I not saying that it shouldn't be in the book because it was very informative, but during my second and third reading....no way was I going to reread that.
Nathan
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Nathan »

Every time I read through the series I find the Ancillary documentations provide me with well-timed rests so that I can absorb everything I've just read. They also provide valuable information about the world we're in, which couldn't be done through stroy-telling in the same way as Mordant's need and Covenant, there was no visitor to the world, they all knew what was going on, so he had to tell us another way. I think the way he did it was excellent.
[spoiler]If you change the font to white within spoiler tags does it break them?[/spoiler]
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

They do prevent exposition.
Waddley wrote:your Highness Sir Dr. Loredoctor, PhD, Esq, the Magnificent, First of his name, Second Cousin of Dragons, White-Gold-Plate Wielder!

Return to “The Gap Series”