Moderators: Orlion, balon!, aliantha

Do you always use the same avatar?

Yes. I like the one I have and there's no reason to change it
48%
No. I change mine once in a while for...reasons
43%
I think this thread is stupid and wonder what the point is
4%
dAN's avatar is not creepy at all. What is your problem?
4%

Total votes: 23

aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

I find Avatars interesting. One selects an image or subject that either reflects one's self or perhaps an interest or hobby. Sometimes I find them shocking and creepy but enough about dAN.

I tend to get bored with my avatar and rotate 3 different one's (my nuclear Edgeatar, my Futurama head in a jar and the cartoon Tom with reflective sun glasses) but lately I've found them exceptionally boring. It was cool creating a new avatar for the Anniversary event but now that that has passed I am finding it difficult to settle on exactly what avatar I should use next.

Therefore I'm not going to choose. I'm going to apply a new and different one every week until I forget or lose interest.

I wonder what the Watch would be like if we all changed avatars every week?

I think I would find all of your choices interesting.
"If you can't tell the difference, what difference does it make?"

"There is tic and toc in atomic" - Neil Peart
Linna Heartbooger
Are you not a sine qua non for a redemption?

Post by Linna Heartbooger »

I often want to ask people about their avatars - and signatures.

I've been meaning to change mine for a bit, and was just thinkin' about that yesterday.

If I'm glancing at some page full of comments of people talking on the internet... and I just have a minor curiosity about what's going on there, (but don't expect to engage) I'm often focusing on avatars and signatures hoping I'll get some piercing insights on this or that human soul...
"People without hope not only don't write novels, but what is more to the point, they don't read them.
They don't take long looks at anything, because they lack the courage.
The way to despair is to refuse to have any kind of experience, and the novel, of course, is a way to have experience."
-Flannery O'Connor

"In spite of much that militates against quietness there are people who still read books. They are the people who keep me going."
-Elisabeth Elliot, Preface, "A Chance to Die: The Life and Legacy of Amy Carmichael"
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

I don't know what you mean, "change avatars".
Sorus
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Sorus »

Forcing people to look at pictures of my cats is one of my hobbies. I have enough pictures that I could probably change my avatar every day, but I tend to cycle between a few favorites. Most of the avatar (cat-a-tar?) pics feature the shelf above my desk, which is one of their favorite perches, and conveniently includes my Enterprise poster, just in case anyone hasn't figured out that I'm a geek.

I actually didn't use an avatar at all the first few years I was here, and then I got tired of folks who hadn't read the Gap Cycle (for shame) assuming I was male, so I used a character from BSG for a while.

Oh, a change is coming, feel these doors now closing
Is there no world for tomorrow, if we wait for today?

Shuram Gudatetris
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Shuram Gudatetris »

It's funny that wayfriend and Linna are two of the three people to have posted so far. When I first started to really get into KW, wayfriend had an avatar from Avatar (a Na'vi or whatever) and Linna had the teacher from Magic School Bus. Those two images have always stuck for me for those two people, and I always tend to picture them in my head as those avatars. I've been wanting to bring that up, to see if anyone else remembers a Watcher as a certain Avatar of the past like I do.

Least ways, I *think* those were the avatars for Linna and wayfriend, feel free to call me out if I'm a fool!

I can't think of anyone else who gives me that sort of connection, but there could be others.

As for me personally, I change my pic on facebook every so often, just like I change my avatar here. I'd say I go back and forth between avatars that are personally significant vs avatars that are TC significant (or sometimes just something that I think is funny, like Jimmy Kimmell trying to bite Morgan Freeman's finger tip!). I recall a Lord Foul avatar, me playing hacky sack avatar, a my own eyeball avatar, a Feroce avatar, and my current one is a NES Tetris avatar. (There are plenty other avatars that I don't remember, I'm sure.)
Covenant is Linden Frankenstein's monster.

I maxed-out Tetris!
Khaliban
Watchman, Second Class

Post by Khaliban »

Sorus wrote:just in case anyone hasn't figured out that I'm a geek.
You're on a Donaldson forum, for crying out loud.

If you like changing your avatar, go for it. We're here for fun. Artistic outlets can be fun. Just don't make it difficult to read or look at. Eyestrain and epileptic seizures cross the line of courtesy.
"This is the sort of bloody nonsense up with which I will not put."

Smashwords: Discovered Mate: A Tale of Desire and Chess

Some Stories: FanFiction or Archive Of Our Own
StevieG
Andelanian

Post by StevieG »

I've only ever had a couple - my current Edgetar, and another one which was from a local artist which I can't seem to find any more...

I think it was something like this one:

Hugs and sh!t ~ lucimay

I think you're right ~ TheFallen
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

I've pretty much always used this one. (Which is actually a picture of my tattoo, which was designed for me by a friend as a stylised eye of Horus.)

When I first joined, I had a tiny version of it, then Edge made it into this one, (without me asking and after telling him not to trouble himself) which I have used ever since.

I did modify it for a while when I was still sporting my mohawk using variations of these depending on what colour I had it at various times:

Image Image Image

But that was just a bit of fun...when I shaved it off again I went back to my old faithful Edgetar which I see no reason to ever change.

--A
aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

wayfriend wrote:I don't know what you mean, "change avatars".
Seriously? :biggrin:

See! Every avatar has an interesting story behind it. :-)

I guess I'll take the time to explain my avatars in this thread when I post them.

This week's av is a page from a comic strip I worked on in the late 80s that was published in a local fan magazine The World of Fandom. It was called The Ivory Soaper (don't ask me what I was thinking). The character was a bit like the Silver Surfer however he was quite grumpy and hated humans. In this page he is getting the crap beaten out of him by another old school character of mine Power Star who was previously named Star Warrior. dAN also published a strip in the same magazine called Zit-man. I'll let him explain that. :-)
The image below is a cover from WOF from around the time I was working on the Soaper but may not be the exact issue the strip appeared.

wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Today my avatar is an absurd allusion to: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVP4l2dSyYw
Tomorrow it may be something else.
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

If we go over to that new forum software there'll be no more big avatars for at least a while.
StevieG
Andelanian

Post by StevieG »

My prediction is that Vain will probably disappear for another couple of years - so we should be safe for a while :D
Hugs and sh!t ~ lucimay

I think you're right ~ TheFallen
Linna Heartbooger
Are you not a sine qua non for a redemption?

Post by Linna Heartbooger »

Shuram Gudatetris wrote:...When I first started to really get into KW... and Linna had the teacher from Magic School Bus. Those two images have always stuck for me for those two people, and I always tend to picture them in my head as those avatars.
This pleases me!
I very much hope that's the way various people I know IRL see me. :)

I also recall that I had "navigating the suburban wasteland" as my tagline with that avatar.
Explanation: I was new-ish to the area where I live and driving a bunch to tutor students... as well as navigating the social situations that work entails.
When I'd be madly trying to get to some student's house for the first time, and worrying because I was late... it was so stressful.

StevieG- the one you showed with the black-and-white and full color looks cool.

Sorus-
"Forcing people to look at pictures of my cats is one of my hobbies." <-- Hehe.
"People without hope not only don't write novels, but what is more to the point, they don't read them.
They don't take long looks at anything, because they lack the courage.
The way to despair is to refuse to have any kind of experience, and the novel, of course, is a way to have experience."
-Flannery O'Connor

"In spite of much that militates against quietness there are people who still read books. They are the people who keep me going."
-Elisabeth Elliot, Preface, "A Chance to Die: The Life and Legacy of Amy Carmichael"
deer of the dawn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by deer of the dawn »

I adored my former av, but changed it in honor of the 15 year anniversary... I had written "We're getting the Land back together" and the "apparently" just stemmed from the wry expression on the deer's face, it wasn't my original plan.

A few years ago, a lot of people changed avs temporarily for Halloween (it's as close as I get to a costume, so it was fun). I would love to see that happen again.
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle. -Philo of Alexandria

ahhhh... if only all our creativity in wickedness could be fixed by "Corrupt a Wish." - Linna Heartlistener
dANdeLION
Lord

Re: Avatars

Post by dANdeLION »

aTOMiC wrote:I find Avatars interesting. One selects an image or subject that either reflects one's self or perhaps an interest or hobby. Sometimes I find them shocking and creepy but enough about dAN. .

Deal with it, you whiny bitch.
Dandelion don't tell no lies
Dandelion will make you wise
Tell me if she laughs or cries
Blow away dandelion

I'm afraid there's no denying
I'm just a dandelion
a fate I don't deserve.

High priest of THOOOTP

:hobbes: *

* This post carries Jay's seal of approval
aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

This week's avatar is a promo photo of Clear Frontier from around 97.

At that time dAN had better things to do. :huh:

That's his brother Dion on the far right who filled in on bass for a few years during dAN's absence. That's me next to the post with my wife Kim. :-)
The poor guy by himself on the left is our drummer Aaron and Jennifer is next to Dion.

wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

... and back to Ghân-Buri-Ghân.
dANdeLION
Lord

Post by dANdeLION »

aTOMiC wrote:This week's avatar is a promo photo of Clear Frontier from around 97.

That's his brother Dion on the far right who filled in on bass for a few years during dAN's absence. That's me next to the post with my wife Kim. :-)
The poor guy by himself on the left is our drummer Aaron and Jennifer is next to Dion.

Jenifer. one "n"
Dandelion don't tell no lies
Dandelion will make you wise
Tell me if she laughs or cries
Blow away dandelion

I'm afraid there's no denying
I'm just a dandelion
a fate I don't deserve.

High priest of THOOOTP

:hobbes: *

* This post carries Jay's seal of approval
Shuram Gudatetris
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Shuram Gudatetris »

dANdeLION wrote:
aTOMiC wrote:This week's avatar is a promo photo of Clear Frontier from around 97.

Jenifer. one "n"
Covenant is Linden Frankenstein's monster.

I maxed-out Tetris!
Sorus
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Sorus »

I like it.

Oh, a change is coming, feel these doors now closing
Is there no world for tomorrow, if we wait for today?

Return to “General Discussion Forum”