How Do You Feel Today? v4

Free, open, general chat on any topic.

Moderators: Orlion, balon!, aliantha

Sorus
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Sorus »

Avatar wrote:(Maybe you just like Irish music?)
That is probably a factor, but I like many types of music. Most artists that I like probably (hopefully) will never produce Christmas albums, and if they did, I probably would avoid such an album. Like the plague.

Oh, a change is coming, feel these doors now closing
Is there no world for tomorrow, if we wait for today?

Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

:LOLS:

Thursday...still raining...practically speaking, my last day of work. Technically, I have tomorrow too, but it's only a half-day, and we're going to do some office breakfast thing, so that'll probably kill most of it. :D

Holiday. Hooray. I need it.

--A
Sorus
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Sorus »

I want rain and a holiday. The other half of the state is on fire now.

I've started playing Corrupt-A-Wish with the more obnoxious Christmas songs. The lady who wants a 10-pound box of money is going to get it in pennies.

My friend Google says there are about 180 pennies in a pound.

Post by Avatar »

:lol:

Made it to Friday. Half day, and then 3 weeks of leave, desperately needed. Still pretty rainy.

(Yeah, saw the fires happening there Sorus. Stay warm. ;) )

--A
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

Six month leukemia update. B"H and with thanks for everyone's prayers and positive thoughts, I am basically in remission! There is no trace of BCR/ABL in my blood anymore, which is the marker they test for with CML. My WBC and platelet counts are still slightly elevated, but that could be due to allergies abd/or asthma, both of which I suffer from.

My hematologist does not want me to discontinue, or titrate back my treatment; she reiterated that the walking chemo I am on is lifelong, but she feels I chose the right choice between the different chemo available, and is extremely happy with my progress. I can drop the monthly blood draws, and need to only go for lab work in three months, prior to my next follow up.

Menolly 2/Cancer 0
Huzzah!
Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Post by Savor Dam »

:goodpost:

:letsparty:

:hug:
Love prevails.
~ Tracie Mckinney-Hammon

Change is not a process for the impatient.
~ Barbara Reinhold

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul, can always count on the support of Paul.
~ George Bernard Shaw
Sorus
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Sorus »

That's great, Menolly!

Iolanthe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Iolanthe »

Menolly, congratulations. I have been following your progress on FB, although now I don't have FB on the phone I get behind a little.

Not had the computer on since Tuesday, been busy practicing and other things. Concert went well, including my solo, surprisingly. I played nearly all the right notes, and all in the right order. :D Having now proved to myself that I can still do it (following the brain thing I've had a bit of a problem finding the right place on the piano!) I probably shan't do it again.

Now gearing up for Christmas. Pantomime tickets booked for 2nd January - it was very booked up this year. And I've actually bought some presents already!
I am playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order!

"I must state plainly, Linden, that you have become wondrous in my sight."

Post by Avatar »

Good news Menolly. :D

--A
Linna Heartbooger
Are you not a sine qua non for a redemption?

Post by Linna Heartbooger »

Menolly- congratulations. whew, that sounds good.
Sorus wrote:...I've started playing Corrupt-A-Wish with the more obnoxious Christmas songs. The lady who wants a 10-pound box of money is going to get it in pennies.

My friend Google says there are about 180 pennies in a pound.
18 bucks.
Worth every penny?

chuckled over this the other day, and I figure I've found an appreciative audience:
In 1975 in Carson City, NV, a man named Harold Hess received a parking ticket even though he showed the meter maid that the meter was frozen.
"Not my problem," she told him.
The next day he paid the ticket-- handing the cashier at the county courthouse a block of ice w/ the money and the ticket frozen inside it.
"Hey! How am I supposed to get that out?" demanded the cashier.
Hess just shrugged, "Not my problem," he said as he walked out.
-from "The Kid who Invented the Trampoline - more surprising stories about inventions," by Don L. Wulffson

and for the "how do you feel today?" question...
It's Monday, but I'm on a "flipped schedule" - my Saturdays and Sundays generally have my hardest tasks of the weeks, including things that I can (and do) overtly fail at. (teaching!)
This past week, Sat and Sun were stressful, so today is like, "Oh, yay, I can get back into just doing the dishes and stuff that needs done."

I was in a "I just want to give up" kinda place on Saturday night, and I think it was because I was worried about two friends who are both going through a really rough patch in each of their respective lives... and feeling like I ought to call one or both but didn't have time.
well, last night, I was able to call each of them.
And now I am... liking my life again!
"People without hope not only don't write novels, but what is more to the point, they don't read them.
They don't take long looks at anything, because they lack the courage.
The way to despair is to refuse to have any kind of experience, and the novel, of course, is a way to have experience."
-Flannery O'Connor

"In spite of much that militates against quietness there are people who still read books. They are the people who keep me going."
-Elisabeth Elliot, Preface, "A Chance to Die: The Life and Legacy of Amy Carmichael"
deer of the dawn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by deer of the dawn »

Congratulations, Menolly!! Woohoo!!!

Just getting in after a long few weeks of one road trip after another.

Really looking forward to returning to Nigeria January 2, where it is NOT freaking cold and where I do NOT have to spend 20 hours a week in the freaking car! :D

Linna and I were messaging each other about how we didn't want to do the stuff we had to do. I think our experience was similar. We were both blessed by other people, some of whom are going through waaaaayyyy worse stuff than we are.

Today we visited with an old friend who has a few months to live. His only regret was having to part with his Harley-Davidson. Other than that his attitude was amazing and encouraging. IN no way did he seem like a dying man, although that is what is happening. He is a believer and this passage has only made that more real and powerful. People really can amaze me.

So Stag wanted to stop at an outlet mall to Christmas shop. I realized that I was totally not into it and felt really not-Christmassy at all. I sat down and wondered what I could do, even prayed about it. I realized that what I really wanted to do was what we've done in past years; arrange a Christmas dinner for some orphan teenage boys Stag works with. I am trying to arrange it but it's difficult not being in-country, so I'm not sure it's going to happen. But that's Christmas to me.

Now, I have a few days at home to enjoy and am enormously grateful for that!
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle. -Philo of Alexandria

ahhhh... if only all our creativity in wickedness could be fixed by "Corrupt a Wish." - Linna Heartlistener
aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

Tremendous news, Menolly.

That's absolutely awesome!
"If you can't tell the difference, what difference does it make?"

"There is tic and toc in atomic" - Neil Peart

Post by Avatar »

I'm on holiday. :D Time to start putting off all the things I put off doing until I was on holiday. :D

--A
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

I saw this on Facebook!! Awesome news Menolly!! Congratulations on the best news ever!! :nanaparty:

Avatar wrote:I'm on holiday. :D Time to start putting off all the things I put off doing until I was on holiday. :D

--A
:letsparty:

Id love to party with all you awesome Watchers

So Yay!! Holidays!!!
So what have you been procrastinating Av?
ImageImageImageImage
keep smiling 😊 :D 😊

'Smoke me a kipper .. I'll be back for breakfast!'

EZBoard SURVIVOR
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

Skyweir wrote: Id love to party with all you awesome Watchers

You can't, cuz you're not real cuz you CLAIM you are from Australia, and

kevinswatch.ihugny.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=21107&highlight=australia
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.

Post by Avatar »

Skyweir wrote:So what have you been procrastinating Av?
Well, I've been putting off spring cleaning since at least spring of last year. And a bunch of miscellaneous admin stuff and general sorting things out.

Meh.

--A
aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

Today is my Friday so its all good.
"If you can't tell the difference, what difference does it make?"

"There is tic and toc in atomic" - Neil Peart
Sorus
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Sorus »

Yesterday felt like Thursday, which meant today felt like it should have been Friday, however, it was not. This has been a weird week. Stressful, but not as stressful as expected, which means part of me is still waiting for the other shoe to drop. (The idea that it might not is not something my brain can currently process.) At this point I'm so acclimated to elevated stress levels that I function better when everything is falling apart.

Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

Vraith wrote:
You can't, cuz you're not real cuz you CLAIM you are from Australia, and

kevinswatch.ihugny.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=21107&highlight=australia
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA :LOLS: :LOLS: :LOLS: :LOLS:

1. Yeah .. no self respecting Australian drinks Fosters by the bucket!!! hahaha .. and even those that drink it by the scooner aren't doing it because its a great beer.

Theres a top 50 Australian beers list - you can google it - there aint a Fosters in sight.

2. Of course every Australian knows who Tim Minchin is :lol:

3. Very few Aussies use any of the listed colloquialisms :lol:

4. hahahaha no Aussie sings Waltzing Matilda - we all sing 'The dingos got your baby, run and hide, run and hide' and of course Australia Fair. We sing these two songs repeatedly through out the day, every day. Its a thing

:wink:

5. I dont like cricket - well I don't like watching cricket - I don't mind playing cricket. But Im not a born and bred Aussie - my husband however is a pure blood :lol: and LOVES the cricket!!!! hahahahahaha... BUT Sarge's list is flawed as he neglected to mention the AFL.

6. I can find no reasonable rebuttal for Sarge's 6th point hahaha .. he's got me there

7. Well theres no accounting for taste - re: Sarges 7th point :wink:

8. Despite not "mentioning" Kyle .. Im sure Lore knows who she is and loves her for the Brit/Aussie she is.

9. Sarges argument about Lore being Welsh - seem highly sound. But I am neither Welsh - and do exist despite that!! :lol:

10. Sarge has never 'seen' Australia - again this opens the door to one of my pet hates - the philosophical argument that if a tree falls in the forrest and no one saw it - did it .. or some crap
Australia's existence is not dependent on Sarge seeing it.

And finally I exist!!! Now crack open a fosters and get some buckets!!!!!
:LOLS: :LOLS: :LOLS: :LOLS: :LOLS: :LOLS: :LOLS: :LOLS:

Lets get this party started!!

:nanaparty: :letsparty: :nanaparty: :letsparty: :nanaparty:
ImageImageImageImage
keep smiling 😊 :D 😊

'Smoke me a kipper .. I'll be back for breakfast!'

EZBoard SURVIVOR
Linna Heartbooger
Are you not a sine qua non for a redemption?

Post by Linna Heartbooger »

I woke up a bit sick, and have just been hunkering down on the couch all morning.
Hope to get some work done then nap and.. yeah...
Sorus wrote:...but not as stressful as expected, which means part of me is still waiting for the other shoe to drop. (The idea that it might not is not something my brain can currently process.)
arrg, yeah..
sometimes I'm like "it would be nice to just not worry about what might happen when things are going relatively well."
but then, I'm not sure that most people really do that. Maybe it's just an illusion.

Skyweir- I believe you exist. and Austrailia, too.
But... oh, that thread...

vraith- re: Christmas songs
What about "Let All Mortal Flesh Keep Silence"?
Does it meet your description of how things should fit together?
Here's one version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUdzMtV ... Slfa99E6dP
There's a Fernando Ortega version that I like more.
or did you mean Christmas songs that aren't carols or hymns?
"People without hope not only don't write novels, but what is more to the point, they don't read them.
They don't take long looks at anything, because they lack the courage.
The way to despair is to refuse to have any kind of experience, and the novel, of course, is a way to have experience."
-Flannery O'Connor

"In spite of much that militates against quietness there are people who still read books. They are the people who keep me going."
-Elisabeth Elliot, Preface, "A Chance to Die: The Life and Legacy of Amy Carmichael"

Return to “General Discussion Forum”