Hypocrisy?

Free discussion of anything human or divine ~ Philosophy, Religion and Spirituality

Moderators: Xar, Fist and Faith

peter
The Gap Into Spam

Hypocrisy?

Post by peter »

I'm probably prejudiced about this song coz I have to listen to it on a daily basis on the retail radio channel we have playing in the shop, but in the current atmosphere where even the slightest hint of 'objectification', 'cultural appropriation' or other non pc utterances can bring down the full weight of the thought police, are not the lyrics to Beyonce Knowles song Single Ladies (Put a ring on it) genuinely the most offensive and degrading output to grace the airwaves in many a year. The song is simply (from what I can tell) wrong on so many genuinely insulting to women levels, that it hurts. It suggests that women will sell their 'booty' for the single purpose of marriage and even refers to something (is it the sex act or simply the woman as a whole) as it! And this being belted out by a woman! ...... Or does this make it ok perhaps. Or am I simply getting the whole thing wrong?
The truth is a Lion and does not need protection. Once free it will look after itself.

....and the glory of the world becomes less than it was....
'Have we not served you well'
'Of course - you know you have.'
'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

I havent heard it .. Ive heard of the band Hypocrisy, the death metal band but somehow I dont think this is what youre referring to.

TBH not hahahaha .. a typical retail shop ambience music.

Can you link the song .. Ill give it a listen and be happy to weigh in.

But from what youve already described it sounds awful actually, and ginormously stigmatising of women. Like women only have sex to snaffoo a marriage. FFS its not the 1800s where women were not able to own property and HAD to marry.

The fact that its belted out by a women is actually just sad.
πŸ™„
ImageImageImageImage
keep smiling 😊 :D 😊

'Smoke me a kipper .. I'll be back for breakfast!'

EZBoard SURVIVOR
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

I only know the dozen or so words she says most often. But even I, who doesn't like her, and literally dosn't turned the radio on in my car, know the song. What rock have you been living under, Sky??? :lol:
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

A rock of my own making .. I even youtube searched it .. nada ..

I may have heard it but cannot recall it. What year was it released? And whos the singer?
ImageImageImageImage

EZBoard SURVIVOR
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

If by "thought police" you are referring to people who point out (but do not "arrest") other people who express ideas which reinforce unacceptable views ... then welcome to the thought police, Officer Peter.

I think "it" is a finger here. Sometimes a finger is just a finger.

(Song is saying, you had a good long chance to commit, and you couldn't, so don't expect to own me any more. I don't see any issues with that. What you think it says, I don't see it.)
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

wayfriend wrote:If by "thought police" you are referring to people who point out (but do not "arrest") other people who express ideas which reinforce unacceptable views ... then welcome to the thought police, Officer Peter.

I think "it" is a finger here. Sometimes a finger is just a finger.

(Song is saying, you had a good long chance to commit, and you couldn't, so don't expect to own me any more. I don't see any issues with that. What you think it says, I don't see it.)
Heh...funny! peter seems a bit grumpy.
But yea, it's about what you said, just a bit more attitude than that.
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

And still no link lol πŸ˜‚

πŸ€·β€β™€οΈ
ImageImageImageImage

EZBoard SURVIVOR
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

Well, C' Mon - I did admit the possibility that I could be reading it wrong! ;)

The lyric I was referring to runs (and it is a refrain throughout the song) "If you liked it then you should've put a ring on it. I concede the second 'it' refers to her finger but the first.......? Excuse me for a wry smile at thinking I detect a whiff of nievity in the air here. If I can suggest a quick visit to YouTube where the song and accompanying video are easily located (sorry Sky - I can't seem to link from my android tablet; there is no 'adress' display to pages and I have not the skills to locate them!) my point may seem (no guarantees :) ) a bit more valid. But ........ I defy any of you lot to listen to the thing three times a day for the next five years and not to become irritated with it! ;)

But there is a bigger point here; I heard an interview with a coloured guy who was complaining about the different way in which the use of the N word was viewed by society depending upon the ethnic background of the user. He considered the word should be eschewed point blank. If the use of the word is bad - it's bad by anyone, black or white. If objectification of women is bad, it's bad by anyone, male or female. This may be simplistic, but it's surely a pretty good rule of thumb?
The truth is a Lion and does not need protection. Once free it will look after itself.

'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

Oh is FF talking Single Ladies ... oh my god of course Ive heard Behonces ballad and had kids 8O πŸ™„

So still no closer to hypocrisy lol πŸ˜‚
ImageImageImageImage

EZBoard SURVIVOR
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

And at leaf I KNOW the correct song title lol πŸ˜‚

:LOLS:

My son got into Sydney Dance School and Single Ladies was one of his audition dances
ImageImageImageImage

EZBoard SURVIVOR
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

Oh confused are you talking about Beyonces Single Ladies

Theres no song titled Hypocrisy at all .. well that would explain why I havent found it
ImageImageImageImage

EZBoard SURVIVOR
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

peter said "Beyonce Knowles song Single Ladies (Put a ring on it)" in the op.
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Ur Dead
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Ur Dead »

My take is that she promotes marriage more than having the constant
one night stand. To men that if you really care for the women you would
marry her and not treat her like a hooker.
Which is true here in the US.

She had the snide detractors when she put the song and video out.
What's this silver looking ring doing on my finger?
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Sky, don't make us LMGTFY on you.

Peter: If you liked our [exclusive] relationship then you should've put a ring on my finger. But, as you say, with attitude. (In the song she's clearly flirtatious, but she's talking to an ex who's being jealous.)
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

wayfriend wrote:
Peter: If you liked our [exclusive] relationship then you should've put a ring on my finger.
Yea. There is very clearly intentional sexual innuendo/implication in it.
But just as clearly, she's talking about the entire relationship previous and his sudden interest/jealousy at the change in circumstances.

And, peter, that has little to do with being irritated or not...I hate that thing as it is...I don't need the torturous addition of multiple hearings a day.

The larger point is something else, though...and I don't think I agree.
Words can and often do, as a matter of fact, have different meanings depending on multiple factors---one of which is who the speaker is. [[that's a sub-point of my larger disagreement with the idea/claim that an author/speakers intentions don't matter. It's one thing that huge swaths of Lit/Crit, and meaning-directed philosophy, and such for quite a long while now are mistaken about. Many other things those fields discuss make a lot more sense if they ditch that claim in its strong form.]]
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

It's a tricky one; I was brought up in a rural English farming world where the telling of jokes was an almost de rigeur part of being accepted into the male community. We all told jokes - and most of them were offensive to one group or another - but I give my word there was no malice intended to the group's who were the but of these jokes. In today's climate however, the telling of such jokes is a no-no. So if we told these jokes without bad intent was there no problem in the telling of them? If so why did they become off-limits? No - I think I agree with the fella - some things are just better off-limits all together. Holocaust jokes, the n word, and yes, gross objectification of people.

'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

Oh fuck 8O I swear that wasnt there lol πŸ˜‚

Ok I just gotta stop skimming LOL πŸ˜‚ πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

Question .. whats LMGTFY .. probably something really mean I guess πŸ€”πŸ™„πŸ˜•

But clearly deserved πŸ˜” apologies all :oops:
ImageImageImageImage

EZBoard SURVIVOR
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

peter wrote:It's a tricky one; I was brought up in a rural English farming world where the telling of jokes was an almost de rigeur part of being accepted into the male community. We all told jokes - and most of them were offensive to one group or another - but I give my word there was no malice intended to the group's who were the but of these jokes. In today's climate however, the telling of such jokes is a no-no. So if we told these jokes without bad intent was there no problem in the telling of them? If so why did they become off-limits? No - I think I agree with the fella - some things are just better off-limits all together. Holocaust jokes, the n word, and yes, gross objectification of people.
Pete, I swear you are the sweetest human to ever grace this earth ❀️

We are the same .. we make cracks as part of the course of almost everything. But not in malice .. AND a credit to your character or ANYONES is that they can tell the difference .. AND they can take as good as they give. If you are incapable are laughing at yourself then .. youre pretty much fucked in good society πŸ˜›πŸ˜›πŸ˜›πŸ˜› πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜›

So much is communicated tounge in cheek .. and accompanied with a cheeky wink.

All that other shit is just shit πŸ’©
ImageImageImageImage

EZBoard SURVIVOR
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Skyweir wrote:Question .. whats LMGTFY .. probably something really mean I guess πŸ€”πŸ™„πŸ˜•
If only you could see your irony right now.

Perhaps if I express my point this way ... https://i.imgur.com/Tsuru6p.png

:)
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

:LOLS:

Smart arse 😏

Well I had that coming .. geez you cant get away with being lazy anywhere. Sometimes you just .. cant be fucked πŸ˜‚

Kids and there coded acronystic lingo πŸ™„
πŸ€·β€β™€οΈ :P
ImageImageImageImage

EZBoard SURVIVOR

Return to β€œThe Close”